Zoom & Drift speed

vurtual

Idea

I am using Penultimate on an iPad Mini 1 and an iPad 3. I find the drift speed is more or less always too fast, however quick or slow I write, so I am forever deleting words I have written because the down-stroke of, for example, a 'n' is miles away from the up-stroke, making it look like a  'u' or a mess, and I am unable to cross the 't' or dot the 'i' at the beginning of a long word like 'intricately' because it has disappeared of to the left.

I think the issue is really that the acceleration is too eager - if the speed of a down stroke varies, it seems the quickest bit is picked up, and the screen will suddenly scroll quickly to the left.

11 replies to this idea

I absolutely agree. My primary feature request for Penultimate is a slider to adjust drift speed. I use a Pencil stylus on an iPad Air, and find that the drift in Penultimate, while great, is just too eager. It is the #1 reason why my writing is ever illegible.

I have another issue with the drift- the direction of the drift. If I change the orientation of the page (and sometimes even when I dont?), the drift wants to take me down, instead of left to right. This makes it unusable for me. I try to use the best orientation in order to save to Evernote notebooks, and this has been frustrating. Any thoughts of suggestions? Thanks, Gary

Being able to tune the speed of drift would make the feature much more usable. Right now, the best option is just to turn it off and drag manually.

The best entry method I've seen is in GoodNotes. It lets you write across the magnified screen and then move back to the left virtually, to continue writing across the same line on the page. A pity it doesn't have Evernote integration.

I actually have the opposite problem - for me the drift speed is too slow, unless I am writing in cursive, which defeats the ability to make my writing searchable.  I love the zoom and drift, but being able to regulate the speed, or having it be more intuitive when printing would be a huge improvement.

Being able to tune the speed of drift would make the feature much more usable. Right now, the best option is just to turn it off and drag manually.

The best entry method I've seen is in GoodNotes. It lets you write across the magnified screen and then move back to the left virtually, to continue writing across the same line on the page. A pity it doesn't have Evernote integration.

I completely agree. GoodNotes has an excellent method for this -- the pacing seems just right. I am often torn, splitting my note-taking between the two programs. I only resort to Penultimate for the text OCR, but better drift would probably change that.

I got so excited when I bought my iPad Air and most of that excitement was due to the promise of being able to make handwritten notes in Penultimate and have the full synchronisation with Evernote.

I am sorry to report that I find Penultimate to be really difficult to use.  In the latest version the text lags and the drift on the handwriting is too fast.  I would like to also expand the size of the page and just write on it like I can in Bamboo Paper and I particularly like Goodnotes 4 for taking notes.  Bamboo Paper however allows me to upload individual pages directly into Evernote whereas Good notes is an upload of a PDF or a jpg.  

Penultimate feels unusable to me and I was going to buy the Jot Script but fear that I will only be disapointed with that too, so I think that I will probably get the Fineline Stylus from Wacomm and stick with Bamboo Paper or Goodnotes until Evernote sort their program out.

Yes, I agree that the drift speed is way too high, especially when at the left hand side of the page. The user guide says the drift speed is governed by your writing speed - well, that just does not work.

This needs to be sorted out. Although I have Penultimate (and an expensive stylus), I cannot use it and am now downloading others to try them.

Why are there no setup options for the user to control the drift behaviour?

I hate drift. It's the only thing setting me back from unleashing penultimate goodness. Give people the option to choose drift or transparent marker which automatically shifts when writing. Manually dragging simply doesn't work...

I am amazed that this still hasn't been addressed. I keep coming back to the app when it's updates in the hope it's been added, but no. This is preventing me from moving away from Goodnotes and the reason why I refuse to upgrade back to the premium version of Evernote.

All it would take is a slider under stylus options to adjust the speed. 1 Developer, 2 man days of effort/testing and it's done.

Such a shame.

Archived