Android scanner apps that play well with EN

• Level 5*

Are there any Android scanning apps that work well with EN? Perhaps an app that doesn't generate very large file sizes.

Example use: I'd like to be able to scan instructions written on the packaging of certain items so that I can discard the packaging.

I suppose an alternative is to take a pic, but picture files tend to be large and doesn't offer the same search capability . . . unless I OCR it I suppose.

genius scan+ isn't a bad option. I've used it on iOS and it is also available for Android. 
Evernote also recently featured CamScanner which is available for iOS and Android:

http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2014/02/15/evernote-pick-camscanner/

Those could both be worthwhile things to check out. 

Also, Evernote's built in camera/document scanner may be worth a shot. 

• Level 5*

Thanks, I wasn't aware that EN has a built-in doc scanner. I just used it, seems to do the trick.

I used the 'page camera'. Seems that EN saves as a simple image. Is there a way to OCR the text in the image so that the text is searchable in EN?

Are there ways of reducing the file size? I imagine that having many large images will bloat the EN database.

By default, images are indexed for both free and premium users. They should be searchable rather quickly (faster for premium users than free, premium users get OCR priority).

I find the images produced by the doc scanner are, in general, small in terms of file size. Evernote does a good job of compressing these images of documents. Remember file size is not an issue in the long term, it's all about how much you upload per month. As long as you are not exceeding your upload quota, no biggie! If you have heavy duty scanning months, you might want to get premium for that month to allow you to upload 1gb.

And database size shouldn't be a concern, Evernote's servers can handle it, there's no practical limit to how much you can store on EN's servers. Your mobile device only caches what it needs too, so again size shouldn't matter Much here.

• Level 5*

By default, images are indexed for both free and premium users. They should be searchable rather quickly (faster for premium users than free, premium users get OCR priority).

I find the images produced by the doc scanner are, in general, small in terms of file size. Evernote does a good job of compressing these images of documents. Remember file size is not an issue in the long term, it's all about how much you upload per month. As long as you are not exceeding your upload quota, no biggie! If you have heavy duty scanning months, you might want to get premium for that month to allow you to upload 1gb.

I just did another search, and this time the text in the image is searchable. Awesome!

And database size shouldn't be a concern, Evernote's servers can handle it, there's no practical limit to how much you can store on EN's servers. Your mobile device only caches what it needs too, so again size shouldn't matter Much here.

My database size concern relates to speed of searches and sluggishness of the desktop and mobile client apps. Seems a lot of people notice a slowdown as their databases grow larger, so I'm trying to take care at the outset to prevent database size from growing very large.

Perhaps I'm not thinking about the issue correctly?

Archived