Latest client puts up "explore evernote in five steps" that won't go away

A recent update now causes the client (on windows) to put a big green "box" (not even a proper windows window) on my screen that says "explore evernote in five steps".  All but one of the 5 boxes has a strikethrough.  I click the only one without strikethrough (in the hope that this act of penance will satisfy), and the big green box is replaced by a little blue one that says "Share a Notebook... blah, blah".  This box, too, is not a proper windows window and has no "X" to kill it.  No amount of clicking will make it go away.

I don't know if this is EN, but something (windows helpfully doesn't say which app) is causing C++ runtime errors.

I'm thinking I'll quit allowing EN to update - the updates always seem to introduce some new problem.  Search is not particularly painful - the "helpful" little suggestions box won't go away and blocks my view of the app...

• Level 5*

Hi.  I also run Evernote Windows but I don't think I've ever seen that box..  Can only suggest you remove and reinstall Evernote to see whether there's some sort of a problem with the update.  Check out Revo Uninstall to do the heavy lifting on uninstall,  and reboot your machine before reinstalling.  Do exit Evernote completely and backup your database file before you start - search around here for full instructions if you need them.

• Level 5*

Interesting, I just saw this for the first time today, when I logged in to my work Evernote account from my home machine. When the sync finished, the fifth box was struck through, and I could dismiss the box.

The checklist has a little X in the top right corner. There's also a progress meter in the left sidebar. You can close the progress meter and then the checklist will stop appearing.

Thanks to all who replied.  It seems I had 2 problems.  The big green box was solved when I (finally) noticed a box on the EN app itself showing the steps.  I clicked the "x" on that and my big green box / little blue box problem went away.

After a little googling, and watching carefully on startup, I conclude that the C++ runtime error is caused by EN.  It seems there is some note I have that EN doesn't like.  I tried deleting everything added since I noticed the problem that came from a web page, emptying trash on both client and web version, switching to a small, simple notebook before shutdown, etc.  No joy.  I guess I'll live with the C++ runtime error until EN fixes it.

I've actually closed the popup - and the box that appears inside the app - multiple times now, at least twice on the PCs I've got the app installed on.  If it had only happened once, I wouldn't have found it worth mentioning.

It only started appearing after I upgraded each PC to 5.2.0.2946.  Rather than trying to delete the last dozen or more entries and recreating them, I'll wait to see if it pops up yet again.  If it does, I'll still wait through the next update to see if Evernote has fixed it.

Admittedly, a minor annoyance in an otherwise excellent product, which I live out of 4-6 hours a day.

The checklist has a little X in the top right corner. There's also a progress meter in the left sidebar. You can close the progress meter and then the checklist will stop appearing.

It's a nice theory except it keeps coming back whenever you update a client - is there not a "Yes I understand that it's great for your lock-in and the network effect but I don't share notebook, I don't want to share notebooks, I'm not interested in sharing notebooks" button we can click to kill this forever? 

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

one year later now im still having this problem,, 

and theyre wondering why ppl migrate to onenote and google keep...

first time evernote windows version user here,,,

Sorry it's still happening after a year,  but maybe if you raised it before...  Have you tried all the fixes suggested here?  There may be more in the new Evernote Help Center - the link is in my signature.  If you don't find a solution, can you confirm your OS and what device you're using?

one year later now im still having this problem,, 

and theyre wondering why ppl migrate to onenote and google keep...

first time evernote windows version user here,,,

Sorry it's still happening after a year,  but maybe if you raised it before...  Have you tried all the fixes suggested here?  There may be more in the new Evernote Help Center - the link is in my signature.  If you don't find a solution, can you confirm your OS and what device you're using?

sorry i didnt read the post in details, what i was saying is not a bug but a closable popup that shows every time i launch the program with 5 steps on it(the first 3 i already completed and the 4th and 5th being create and share a note, web clip a note, that i dont want to do.

wondering if i can stop this popup from showing every time i run the app.

• Level 5*

Does this work?

Does this work?

actually i thought it wont appear again when i closed it yesterday, but it did today, will let you know if it pops up again, (just now i closed the app and relaunched it and it didnt show the pop up, but the same happened yesterday so maybe it will popup sometime again tomorrow )

• 5 months later...
  • Ex Employees
8 hours ago, xbliss said:

Just saw this on the latest Windows Desktop App on a fresh PC - Mastering Evernote - Step 4 of 5

Can you tell me what you see if you select the message? A pop-up should appear listing the 5 steps. Select number five to complete the tutorial and the pop-up should not return. 

• 8 months later...
On 4/5/2016 at 5:27 PM, Austin G said:

Can you tell me what you see if you select the message? A pop-up should appear listing the 5 steps. Select number five to complete the tutorial and the pop-up should not return. 

@Austin G I am also having this problem. I have clicked through the options/check marks and the popup still shows. This is on OSX 10.11.3 using evernote version 6.10. Any advice would be appricated.

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 11.50.30 PM.png

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, JeremyTiki said:

@Austin G I am also having this problem. I have clicked through the options/check marks and the popup still shows. This is on OSX 10.11.3 using evernote version 6.10. Any advice would be appricated.

I would advise you to be careful where you are posting. This is a subforum for the Windows Evernote client; you should be posting in the forum for Mac: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/219-mac-help/

Archived