Why does the Evernote App need to record audio, take pics and videos?

SharG

Idea

Hi,

I have Evernote on all of my computers and wanted to add it to my Nook through the Google Play Store.  Why does the app say that Evernote needs access to "Hardware controls, record audio, take pictures and video"?  I did not install Firefox on the Nook because you have to give permission for Firefox to record audio and take pictures and video with your device without your further consent.  This is not exactly what the Evernote permission states you are doing,but I want to be clear that I am not giving permission for any company to record anything from my device.  The Nook doesn't have a camera so that is not an issue, but I do not want to give permission to record audio, either.  Is this permission needed only for the use of the app, in that it gives permission for ME to record myself and store it on Evernote, or is it giving Evernote permission to randomly record whatever may be happening near my device?

Thanks - I won't install the app until I understand what I am agreeing to!

7 replies to this idea

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but do you honestly think that Evernote [or any other reputable app] would want to randomly record whatever may be happening near anyone's device?

The permissions are so that you can photograph or record your own notes and save them to Evernote.

• Level 5*

Hi,

I have Evernote on all of my computers and wanted to add it to my Nook through the Google Play Store.  Why does the app say that Evernote needs access to "Hardware controls, record audio, take pictures and video"?  I did not install Firefox on the Nook because you have to give permission for Firefox to record audio and take pictures and video with your device without your further consent.  This is not exactly what the Evernote permission states you are doing,but I want to be clear that I am not giving permission for any company to record anything from my device.  The Nook doesn't have a camera so that is not an issue, but I do not want to give permission to record audio, either.  Is this permission needed only for the use of the app, in that it gives permission for ME to record myself and store it on Evernote, or is it giving Evernote permission to randomly record whatever may be happening near my device?

Thanks - I won't install the app until I understand what I am agreeing to!

Hi - welcome to the forums.  You're right that the permissions are only asking for what's required to enable the app to record and store pictures,  video etc at your instruction.  This however is not an 'official' Evernote site - we're a user forum.  If you do want to get more information or reassurance about permissions I can only suggest that you raise a support ticket (see below).  The permissions 'system' is worded so widely that it can seem very scary when dealing with apps like Evernote that can - at your request - copy emails and websites,  take pictures and record video and audio.  There's no ulterior motive though - same Evernote,  same service as on all your other machines - though some of the details may vary a bit because of hardware constraints.

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but do you honestly think that Evernote [or any other reputable app] would want to randomly record whatever may be happening near anyone's device?

The permissions are so that you can photograph or record your own notes and save them to Evernote.

Yes, EverCrow, companies have already expressed an interest in this, so that they can gear advertising to the things you are talking about.  I personally don't understand why anyone would agree to let Firefox or anyone else record audio and video without your permission, but that is what anyone using the Firefox app through Google is agreeing to.  Why would Firefox want to use my camera?  The bigger question is, why would I let them?

http://hothardware.com/News/Verizon-Patent-Helps-Deliver-Relevant-Ads-By-Eavesdropping-Conversations/  

This is the kind of thing I am talking about.  All I know is, the technology is there, and I know that Firefox's Google Play app used to say that you are giving permission for them to record audio and use your camera without further requests for permission from you.  I can see why Evernote would say they could use your recording equipment, either audio or video, if app users will want to use Evernote on their own to record such things.  I can't see why a browser such as Firefox would need such permission, especially blanket permission to use it without letting you know.  Just be careful what you agree to.

I did contact Evernote directly, Gazumped, and you are right, the record features are there to be used at my instruction.  Evernote doesn't record anything on its own.

• Level 5*

Well the link does specify that it's talking about set-top boxes,  which is logical in a creepy way - the audience is in a small room so any conversations are going to be relevant to what's on the screen.  (Although in our house Mrs G does have an amazing talent for talking loudly about something totally irrelevant and house-related during the more exciting bits of mayhem that we see on screen)..  but a 'phone could be anywhere,  and the loud conversation you hear could be the couple behind you talking about their problems and paying no attention whatsoever to your phone screen.  

There are phone apps out there that do put their microphone to good use though - identifying songs and TV shows from the ambient noise.

I think as long as you read the EULA (which you obviously do) and keep an eye out for related news,  in case someone finds an application behaving badly,  you should be reasonably well protected.  And if in doubt you can always uninstall an app!

Archived