New EN 5.2.0 copy note link behavior is unusable

Aamer Akhter

The new update of evernote 5.2.0.2946 seems to have made changes to the 'copy note link' feature. 

The new version of this seems to provide a link to the web evernote  vs. the local installed version. 

Is there an alternate now to get the local filesystem based link to open the entry the locally installed version of evernote? 

There are a number of problems here:

1. The assumption that an internet connection exists to resolve against the EN site. This is simply just a wrong assumption.

2. The desire to interact not with the web service of EN but the locally installed version of EN is now taken way. There is not even a link on the web site that allows opening up the note in the local EN.

3. The web site version presented is the read only version. What??

please bring back the earlier functionality. I'm not sure what the problem that was that needed to be solved, but this new behavior brings an even bigger set of problems.

aa

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I agree 100% with Aamer.  This is a typical example of Evernote changing functionality without telling users, and without providing any backwards compatibility for the previous functionality.

So sick of Evernote I can't tell you...

Evernote (slightly) changed the functionality for practical reasons and provided backwards compatibility if you hold Ctrl (in Windows) when selecting the link.  More information posted by Evernote in the forums...

I agree 100% with Aamer.  This is a typical example of Evernote changing functionality without telling users, and without providing any backwards compatibility for the previous functionality.

Evernote (slightly) changed the functionality for practical reasons and provided backwards compatibility if you hold Ctrl (in Windows) when selecting the link.  More information posted by Evernote in the forums...

Yes, and existing users are supposed to guess this how???

I've had to waste over an hour of my time in a busy week to 1) track down why the behaviour has changed, and 2) interact with Tech Support to find a workaround for Mac.  Like these things couldn't be covered in an Evernote blog post???

For those Evernote sufferers on a Mac like me, the way to get a desktop link on the Mac is a bit different to Windows:

"In the Evernote for Windows client, if you select your note(s) and then hold down Ctrl then go up to the menu bar and select Notes >> Copy Note Links then you will always get old behavior."

--- the equivalent for Mac is:

hold the Option+Control keys while SELECTING THE NOTE, and then right-click and choose the option "**Copy Classic Note Link**". This will create an evernote:/// link

• Level 5

Yeah, "only" have to remember to hold that key down ... I just spent an hour digging through an .ENEX export of my entire database looking for note links in the bad format so I could fix them. So for me this is a useful "set it and forget it" tool to have running. But of course if you prefer the CTRL key that's your prerogative.

• 1 month later...

Yes, and existing users are supposed to guess this how???

I've had to waste over an hour of my time in a busy week to 1) track down why the behaviour has changed, and 2) interact with Tech Support to find a workaround for Mac.  Like these things couldn't be covered in an Evernote blog post???

For those Evernote sufferers on a Mac like me, the way to get a desktop link on the Mac is a bit different to Windows:

"In the Evernote for Windows client, if you select your note(s) and then hold down Ctrl then go up to the menu bar and select Notes >> Copy Note Links then you will always get old behavior."

--- the equivalent for Mac is:

hold the Option+Control keys while SELECTING THE NOTE, and then right-click and choose the option "**Copy Classic Note Link**". This will create an evernote:/// link

Thanks!  Evernote - fix this! Please!

• Level 5*

If you check back through the thread,  Evernote made this change for a reason,  and (in their opinion) in your best interests.  It's not a problem to be fixed,  it's an operational decision with which quite a few users have had issues.  

I love Evernote - I'm a big fan, but...

It's one thing to change the functionality (even if, for the better), and it's another to communicate it BEFORE it occurs, and let us know why it's happening and how to get around it.  It took me hours today to find this forum and get my links fixed (thru the use of the CTL key).  Evernote should have done a better job communicating!

• Level 5*

I love Evernote - I'm a big fan, but...

It's one thing to change the functionality (even if, for the better), and it's another to communicate it BEFORE it occurs, and let us know why it's happening and how to get around it.  It took me hours today to find this forum and get my links fixed (thru the use of the CTL key).  Evernote should have done a better job communicating!

Agreed - it's nice to know if something important has changed fundamentally..

How does this work with offline notebooks? I'm off to Santorini next week and have my Santorini notebook set to offline on all my devices. I use note links extensively within that folder. It's all for nothing if it has to go get the web version of the notes, right?

How does this work with offline notebooks? I'm off to Santorini next week and have my Santorini notebook set to offline on all my devices. I use note links extensively within that folder. It's all for nothing if it has to go get the web version of the notes, right?

evernote:/// links are still available. 

Not matter what, a link will paste as evernote:/// within Evernote

If you need to paste an evernote:/// link outside of Evernote, you need a "classic note link" which can be obtained by hold alt while right-cicking on the note. 

There has been no change in how evernote:/// note-links work. 

Ok, thanks. I tried my links on my offline folder with my device off the internet and all the links worked fine. However I do have another offline folder where links to other evernote notes within the same folder stopped working (told me I was offline and couldn't get the note). Perhaps it is because they were created 1 month ago? In any event, re-creating the links today got them to work as expected.

I don't know why the date they were created should make a difference. If it is an evernote:/// link, it should function the same. Nothing has changed with how links function. There may be some other error going on here.... if the notes underwent some type of major change such as being moved out of, and then back into, a notebook, it may break the link. 

Do the links that don't work offline work when you are online?

Are you sure the link is to a note in the same offline notebook? 

Are you sure the link is an evernote:/// link?

Are you sure that your notebook that is designated as "offline" has actually completely downloaded properly (frustratingly,  you can pretty much only guess at this, because Evernote doesn't give any real information about how much/if an offline notebook is properly downloaded.)

I don't know why the date they were created should make a difference. If it is an evernote:/// link, it should function the same. Nothing has changed with how links function. There may be some other error going on here.... if the notes underwent some type of major change such as being moved out of, and then back into, a notebook, it may break the link. 

Do the links that don't work offline work when you are online?

Are you sure the link is to a note in the same offline notebook? 

Are you sure the link is an evernote:/// link?

Are you sure that your notebook that is designated as "offline" has actually completely downloaded properly (frustratingly,  you can pretty much only guess at this, because Evernote doesn't give any real information about how much/if an offline notebook is properly downloaded.)

It is quite possible that the links were broken. I often forget to sync my grocery list when I get back home and often it ends up in the 'conflicting changes' notebook. I probably take the most recent one and that, of course breaks the link.  For the past 3 weeks or so, though, the grocery list in my shopping notebook has actually disappeared completely - three times, on different days. I never could troubleshoot that one, but I'll put it down to the syncing multiple copies issue until it happens again and I can figure it out. 

The important thing is that the offline notebooks work, links and all, so I can safely get on that plane and have all of my travel info without requiring the web.

Archived