FAT or NTFS using Truecrypt

chinarut

hi!  I'm about to move my Evernote db to Truecrypt partition and the wizard is asking me if I'd like to format it FAT (because you need to be admin to format NTFS)

does it matter?  Is there anyone else out running Evernote off a TrueCrypt partition?

it seems like TrueCrypt takes care of the 4GB file limit (the wizard asks and my Evernote db is 12GB+)

might there be a performance difference?

hi!  I'm about to move my Evernote db to Truecrypt partition and the wizard is asking me if I'd like to format it FAT (because you need to be admin to format NTFS)

does it matter?  Is there anyone else out running Evernote off a TrueCrypt partition?

it seems like TrueCrypt takes care of the 4GB file limit (the wizard asks and my Evernote db is 12GB+)

might there be a performance difference?

I've run EN with my database in a TC volume for a few years. I don't know that much about this stuff, but I've always done NTFS (once the media size exceeded 4GB) when either formatting or making my TC volume. I don't know why you think that TC "takes care of the 4GB file limit (the wizard asks and my Evernote db is 12GB+)". When you're running the wizard to make a TC volume, TC has no idea what you're going to put in there.

hey thanks for the quick reply.

I looked again and misunderstood to intent of the dialog box asking if any of my files are over 4GB and now realize it's to default the picklist to NTFS.   I've since formatted NFTS under my admin user.

to clarify: I don't give my main log in user administrative rights so it seems the workaround is to log in as administrator, mount the drive and then switch back to my main user.

it has odd behaviour like the drive letter disappearing from the File Explorer and verified the TC mount point is accessible from the command line and from within the Evernote application.

it has odd behaviour like the drive letter disappearing from the File Explorer and verified the TC mount point is accessible from the command line and from within the Evernote application.

I don't understand what you're saying here. A TC container will only show up as a drive in Explorer if it's mounted. And yes, of course, if you want to access any files in the TC container, the TC container needs to be mounted.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand what you're saying here. A TC container will only show up as a drive in Explorer if it's mounted. And yes, of course, if you want to access any files in the TC container, the TC container needs to be mounted.

for purposes of this discussion:

1. I had to format NTFS to store a 12GB Evernote db in a TC container
  2. I had to mount the TC container as a user with Admin privileges to get it to work

it is a side effect that TC is flakey in regards to whether a TC container mounted by a user with admin rights will show up in the File Explorer of a user without admin rights.

this is a bit of a niche case.  I'm sure it would be a non-issue if my primary log in user had admin rights.

point being - the non-admin user is still able to access the TC container, it just can't reliably see it in the File Explorer.

this is fine for my purposes.   thanks for nudging this one along!

Archived