(Archived) EN 5.2 searching within a notebook, but you cannot do that!

EdH

• Level 5*

Does anyone know what the logic is behind the way EN5.2 searches? Here is what I do in EN4:

• Select relevant notebook
  • search
  • profit

In EN5.2, here is what I do

• select relevant notebook
  • search
  • I am now back in "all notebooks"
  • filter the search to only include the notebook I want

And here is the kicker. In En4, you can select "All Personal Notebooks" or "All Business Notebooks" and it searches that set of notebooks. With the way EN5 does it, you cannot. You can preslect, but the search changes it to "All Notebooks" and there is no way to filter that down to just all business or all personal. So if I want to search all business notebooks, and I have 10 of them, I have to do 10 searches. With EN4, just one search.

Why does the take you out of the notebook you are in and force you back to the "all notebooks" setting?

• Level 5

I'm sure Evernote will disagree with me, but it certainly looks like they are trying their best to add some bizarre UI twists to a previously easy-to-use program.

I believe their solution is to click on the small magnifying glass in the search bar and change the setting to: Search Current Context.

Add your search term and you will be kept in the original notebook. But remember to change back to Search All Notes after you complete this search.

Here is an example:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s204/sh/518102dc-3cf5-4833-bfa2-62ffdb0c620f/aa914d54f3dc5643ff7009c64cfadb7b

What I am doing is sticking with the standard search grammar, until they change that also.

• Level 5*

I'm sure Evernote will disagree with me, but it certainly looks like they are trying their best to add some bizarre UI twists to a previously easy-to-use program.

I believe their solution is to click on the small magnifying glass in the search bar and change the setting to: Search Current Context.

Add your search term and you will be kept in the original notebook. But remember to change back to Search All Notes after you complete this search.

Here is an example:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s204/sh/518102dc-3cf5-4833-bfa2-62ffdb0c620f/aa914d54f3dc5643ff7009c64cfadb7b

What I am doing is sticking with the standard search grammar, until they change that also.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot tomorrow when I am back at work with my test PC.

• Level 5*

JB is correct: Search Current Context is the ticket. On the other hand, I never switch back. It should be the default, in my opinion -- I got confused by this early on, and have answered questions abort the behavior a number of times.

• Level 5*

Yup. just tested it. I agree, this should be the default. In fact, this shoudln't be necessary at all. Just select "Notebooks" to search everything. But I guess somewhere someone asked for this in the forum so it was added, which prevented them from making tags for business users usable.

The extra step should not be necessary. I keep on waiting to see if the next version of v 5.x returns us to some v. 4.x UI and feature normalcy. (still on 4.x here). Just another facepalm feature "enhancement" from the team at Evernote. Quite honestly do not know if they actually use their own product or just demo it to each other... 

Archived