Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 any different than Evernote scanner and OSX compatibility?

Hello, can someone please confirm that a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 will work for with OSX Mavericks and Evernote?

Also, what exactly is the difference between the Evernote model of the scanner and the Fujitsu models? I asked someone in a live chat yesterday and she told me they have a different software loaded in them but I find that sorta hard to believe and would like other users to confirm the S1500 works fine and is not really any different and if it does work different please let me know.

I can get a deal on a S1500 and while I do know the iX1500 is the newer model and the S1500 is no longer supported thats fine...does the S1500 still work fine with OSX and Evernote and is their ANY features the Evernote model offers that makes it work better than the S1500 or the iX1500?

I totally understand the Evernote scanner comes with a free year of premium, thats fine I already have a year or premium and it would be nice to add another year BUT I was told delivery could take up to three weeks and I didn't really get a good explanation at all as to how the Evernote scanner is any different than the S1500 or the iX1500.

Also I know the newer model does about 5 ppm more than the S1500 but really that means nothing to me, I am more interested in the FULL compatibility with OSX and Evernote and would appreciate any OSX users commenting.

**Also this forum seems broken with Google Chrome and a person cannot login, when I try it bounces back to the index page...in Safari it takes me to a login.

• Level 5*

Not an OSX user,  but I can advise that the iX500 genuinely has way more bells and whistles than the S1500.  If you can afford it and need the extras,  (and someone confirms it works with your OS) you should get one.  For all normal purposes though I have an S1500 which is quick,  accurate and reiable.  Bells and Whistles,  not so much.  See the respective spec pages for details.

• Level 5

Also, what exactly is the difference between the Evernote model of the scanner and the Fujitsu models? I asked someone in a live chat yesterday and she told me they have a different software loaded in them but I find that sorta hard to believe and would like other users to confirm the S1500 works fine and is not really any different and if it does work different please let me know.

I can confirm that the ScanSnap Evernote Edition has different firmware and driver software.

You can check out the FAQ here:

http://evernote.com/partner/scansnap/guide/?external=1#6

but the most important differences are:

• Automatic document type detection and auto-filing: the scanner automatically identifies documents, business cards, receipts, and photographs and files them into the appropriate Evernote notebook
  • Business cards are automatically turned into rich contact notes with information from LinkedIn (Mac only, coming soon to Windows)

It seems as though the iX1500 is the model used to make the custom Evernote edition and as well the Evernote model would be best suited to working with Evernote. Basically I would prefer it does as much as possible and identifying documents, receipts and photographs and filling them into the right notebooks is with the price alone.

I was offered a S1500 for $300 new and while it seems like a good deal I think the Evernote edition for a couple hundred more would be better in my situation and as for cost its more of a business write-off later, I just have to pay for it now..haha.

I also have considered purchasing the iX1500 however if the Evernote model is the same BUT also has extra software to make it work even better with Evernote which is my primary use for it then its a no brainer it seems to purchase this model, I already own a Canon flat bed scanner and with the amount of receipts I get monthly its would be a nightmare to do them all individually and I am finding more and more its harder to find receipts and I am starting to hate saving *certain* receipts on a cork board in case we have to return...having them archived with a tag to make them easy to find would make a world of difference.

Its doubtful I will get the S1500 I have been offered for that price, if it was a iX1500 I would consider it even more however if I'm gonna pay full price I might as well get the Evernote version and get ALL the Evernote features I can shake a stick at PLUS a free years premium which is I think another $45 saving so in the end its worth it for the convenience. The scanner is pricey but honestly I pay for expensive tools and gear for other work I do because simply put, the cheap stuff can't get the job done as good and I have learned over many years to just buck up and pay if it truly does work.

Thanks again for all you info about the the scanners and I plan to purchase soon and get these thousands of documents and receipts under control once and for all! The wife tells me stores won't accept photocopied receipts however I think they are obligated to and I would argue until the end, either way its better to have a digital copy than absolutely no copy at all should a person have a fire of something.

Archived