Evernote for Mac 5.5.1 Beta

Jackolicious

Idea

42 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hey everyone,

Great new release that should fix a lot of common issues. Here are the release notes:

- Improvements to Descriptive Search
- Note you are working on stays in focus during sync
- Improvements to searching through large documents

Get it here: http://evernote.com/download/get.php?file=EvernoteMac

Enjoy!

Jack

Sounds great Jack.

Could you please give us some details on the Search improvements?

• Level 5*

5.5.1 Beta 2 just pushed live!

Jack, I installed 5.5.1 Beta 2 yesterday from the link at the top of this thread.

However, in the EN Mac app, Evernote > About reports version 5.5 Beta 2 (the ".1" is missing).

Is this just a reporting error, or do I have the wrong version?

Screenshot from my Mac:

EN-5.5.1-B2-About.gif

• Level 5*

Startup Issues with BETA 2:

Anyone else having issues with EN 5.5 Beta 2 build 402579 taking awhile to load when starting the application?  It just bounces in the dock for awhile then I can login.  Annoying.

If find it starts quickly, but does NOT automatically show the Evernote window.  The Apple menu shows Evernote as the active app, but the Evernote window is not shown.  I have to CMD-TAB to Evernote to show the window.

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Copy Note Link Doesn't Work for MS Outlook 2011 Mac

When I right-click on a Note in the Note List panel, and select "Copy Note Link", and then try to paste into either a MS Outlook 2011 Mac Calendar or EMail item, NOTHING is pasted.

Also it should be noted that the "Copy Note Link" has changed:

• If you paste into another app like TextEdit, the web version (https) of the link is pasted.  Previously, the INTERNAL link (evernote://) was pasted.
  • IF you hold down the OPT key after the right-click, the context menu item changes to "Copy Classic Note Link" is shown, and if you select this then the internal link is copied to the clipboard.
    • ATTN JACK:  It would be most helpful if you guys would include changes like this in the Release Notes
  • Here is an example of the two different types of links when pasted into TextEdit:

I would STRONGLY prefer if you would keep the DEFAULT behavior the same was it was:  Copy INTERNAL link.

And then provide the EXTERNAL link if the user holds down [OPTION] key.

Of course, most important is that you make the Copy Link work for ALL applications, especially MS Outlook, since you most likely have a large number of users who use Outlook Mac.  This is a SHOWSTOPPER for me.  I am running the Beta 2 on my Test Mac, but can NOT upgrade my production Mac as long as this BUG exists.

I think you will find this more acceptable to users since it will NOT break their existing workflow.

• Level 5*

Jack, here's a clue regarding the failure to paste the link into Outlook 2011 Mac.

• Pressing [CMD]-V pastes nothing
  • But selecting from the menu "Edit > Paste & Match Style" does paste the link.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

Hey everyone,

Great new release that should fix a lot of common issues. Here are the release notes:

- Improvements to Descriptive Search
- Note you are working on stays in focus during sync
- Improvements to searching through large documents

Get it here: http://evernote.com/...e=PrereleaseMac

Enjoy!

Jack

@Jack 

Update - I used cleanmymac to completely uninstall Evernote 5.5 from my Mac and installed this beta version, it solved the sync-and-freeze problem! 

But then the syncing circle on the top-left keeps spinning all the time and there's no connecting bar down the left corner - is this normal? 

And the short-cuts didn't come along. 

thanks. 

• Level 5*

Sitrep: all systems nominal. No bugs encountered in beta 2.

Suggestions for improvement? Many, but you already know what I'm going to say :)

Roger that GM.  Thanks for checking in.  Good to know that you're still alive and kicking.

Houston out.  :D

hello 5.5 crashed about 10 times yesterday. I was annoting and cropping images... it constantly crashes. I've downloaded and installed 5.5.1 beta and same probles still happens. What can I do? Help welecomed and needed! Thank you

• Level 5*

Jack, I see you have released EN Mac 5.5.1.

Did you fix any of the bugs identified in this thread?

Release Notes

Version 5.5.1 (03/25/2014) build 402628

• Various bug and stability fixes:
  • Improvements to Descriptive Search
  • Note you are working on stays in focus during sync
  • Improved searching through large documents

OMG!  Been trying to figure out the internal note linking issue for days!  Working with a support rep and they had no idea.  Hold down the option button to get the classic link option should be noted somewhere or at least the reps should know.

• Level 5

pmizota, that means something funny is happening :) Perhaps 2 versions of Evernote on your machine? Support would be very helpful in diagnosing this type of thing. The link is in my signature.

Hi,

I'm using OSX 10.9.2 and Evernote 5.5.1 and for whatever reason I cannot get my notes to show up at all. Anywhere. I rebooted, uninstalleld, reinstalled, re-un-installed and wiped all files from my mac, and re-re-installed (with lots of rebooting all over the place).

Help? I'm at a loss.

Thanks

-v

Hi,

I'm using OSX 10.9.2 and Evernote 5.5.1 and for whatever reason I cannot get my notes to show up at all. Anywhere. I rebooted, uninstalleld, reinstalled, re-un-installed and wiped all files from my mac, and re-re-installed (with lots of rebooting all over the place).

Help? I'm at a loss.

Thanks

-v

1) Do your notes show up in the web version at http://www.evernote.com ?

2) Are you absolutely sure you are logged into your proper account and that a) You haven't accidentally created a new one that you are logged into; or b ) that you haven't accidentally logged into some old account you abandoned long ago?

Thanks for the quick reply!

So answers:

1. Yes. no problems.

2. Yes, I am definitely logged into my account. I can see my notebooks (with the proper number of notes in each of them), just not my notes. I am at a loss. I just get a grey screen with the sidebar to the right. I've tried all of the view options in the view menu. I just dunno.

Thanks again!

-v

Hmmm ok, well we know your data is in tact, which is the most important thing! 

As for resolving your issue with the desktop application, there are a few thing to try, and if those fail, you should probably open a support ticket. 

1) I recommend using the "direct download" version from the Evernote website (as opposed to the App Store version). If you are on the App Store version, fellow forum user GrumpMonkey has a quick tutorial on how to make the transition:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

You say you "wiped all the files from my mac", does that include the database tucked in the nether regions (as described in the link above)?

2) Clear the local database to force a re-download. If you had to transition from the MAS version to the direct download version, you've already done this step.  If you are already on the Direct Download version, then you'll need to make sure any un-sycned notes are backed up, locate the database (as in the link above) and delete it (or, temporarily move it to your desktop or some other location until the re-download is finished and you confirm all is kosher). Then fire up Evernote again. 

If you have already done this, or you do them now and they don't work, open a support ticket (or just go ahead and do that now anyway since it will take a day or two for them to get back to you!)

Hi Scott,

So, I followed the directions on the GrumpMonkey site (thanks for that), and did a direct download, aaand same problem.

Sigh.

Anyway, I've opened a support ticket, and will just continue to use evernote on the web for the time being.

Thanks again!

Can -not- copy/paste into evernote since upgrading to 5.5.1 rendering evernote useless !!  Is this a known isssue?  Anyone know where I can find an older version so I can downgrade! Help, I use evernote daily and now find myself using text pad due to the 'past' evernote bug (from what i can tell)...

• Level 5*

Can -not- copy/paste into evernote since upgrading to 5.5.1 rendering evernote useless !!  Is this a known isssue?  Anyone know where I can find an older version so I can downgrade! Help, I use evernote daily and now find myself using text pad due to the 'past' evernote bug (from what i can tell)...

Herman, sorry to hear about your trouble.  This is NOT a known issue (as far as I know).  I have been running EN Mac 5.5.1 (402628 Direct) for several weeks now, and I have NOT experienced any problems with cut/copy/paste into or out of Evernote.

You have posted in the last BETA thread for Evernote 5.5.1.  Are you running the latest Production version (same as my ver#) ?

And what Mac OS X version are you running?

I'd suggest the following:

1. Verify that you are running the latest proudction ver.
  2. If you are, submit a Support Ticket to Evernote ASAP (see link below).
  3. Repost your issue as a new thread since this is the BETA thread.

If you don't have any local Notebooks on your Mac, you can delete the Evernote app, and reinstall.  It is recommended to install from the Evernote web site, NOT from the Mac App store.  Of course, before you delete the EN app, make sure all of your Notes have been sync'd to the Evernote Cloud.  You can verify this by using the EN Web client at Evernote.com.

JMichael,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I noticed this morning that there is a prefernce call unde Preferences->Formating called: Simplifying Formatting Of Pasted Comment.  It's a checkbox and if I disable it (uncheck) it then pasting conent works, ya !!  I probably should have did a little more due dilegence before posting however the behavior from the previous evernote version changed for sure....

My bigger issue, for which I need to open a new support case is the fact if you have a note (before the update) and you go to that note and then go to Format and select 'Simplyfying Formatting' then bam all the content disappears...gone !  You can do an 'undo' and the content is redisplayed but unfortunatelty, I screwed up a very important customer note doing this and at the time wasn't aware of my exact steps so i could 'undo' it...and NOW, they content seems to be gone forever :-(

Archived