(Archived) Sync Problem (Windows 7) - I've paid for too much this month!

Evernote Em

Hi, I was going to contact support about this, but just realised they won't reply until tomorrow lunchtime, so I just wondered if anyone here had any ideas before then.

I used the Windows desktop app (on Windows 7) to import a whole load of files using an import folder. I knew this would take me over the >1gb for the month so I paid the extra for another 1gb upload. However, I forgot to give the files sensible names prior to import, and realised this about halfway through the import. Because it hadn't yet started syncing with the web, I deleted the files, renamed them in the import folder and let them import into Evernote once again. Before the import ended, a message box came up saying that I'd used all my monthly upload limit and that I'd have to buy more.  I was perplexed as the files still hadn't started syncing to Evernote web at this point, and enough had been deleted to take me down below the 2gb when the sync began, but I paid the extra to take my monthly limit up to 3gb.  I figured that I must have counted how much in total was imported into the desktop app (even though a lot was deleted before syncing to the server), and since it was my error that allowed so much to be imported, I reluctantly paid this.

Once the import was complete, I allowed the files to start syncing (which has taken all weekend, with the percentage going up and down seemingly at random!). Weirdly now, the usage is showing as 1.2gb out of the 3 I paid for used. It seems I paid the second extra amount when I didn't need to, but at the time Evernote was refusing to import anything else, or allow new notes to be created.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts, or has similar first hand experience?

• Level 5*

When you add files to your desktop app,  the local app works out how much upload credit you're going to use at the next sync,  even if that sync hasn't started - hence the warnings about having exceeded your limit.  I don't think the app expects a major addition to be deleted before synchronisation can complete.  From your description it's possible the second warning was unrelated to your further files import - you were making a lot of major (and unusual) changes in a short while.  Sometimes it's better to hang back and let things work themselves out.  Having said all of which,  this is a user forum so we don't have the power to offer more than sympathy - I'd suggest a support ticket (see below) and a very polite request for the 'extra' upload limit payment you made to be either refunded or carried over to next month..  plus bringing this to Support's attention may help improve the upload limit process in future.

When you add files to your desktop app,  the local app works out how much upload credit you're going to use at the next sync,  even if that sync hasn't started - hence the warnings about having exceeded your limit.  I don't think the app expects a major addition to be deleted before synchronisation can complete.  From your description it's possible the second warning was unrelated to your further files import - you were making a lot of major (and unusual) changes in a short while.  Sometimes it's better to hang back and let things work themselves out.  Having said all of which,  this is a user forum so we don't have the power to offer more than sympathy - I'd suggest a support ticket (see below) and a very polite request for the 'extra' upload limit payment you made to be either refunded or carried over to next month..  plus bringing this to Support's attention may help improve the upload limit process in future.

Thanks for taking the time to respond - don't worry I wasn't expecting anyone to 'fix' this - just wondered if anyone else had come across a similar problem. As you state, the way I acted was unusual.  To be honest, I'll probably use the extra I've paid for in order to do extra archiving this month, but as you say will contact support just to highlight the potential problem. 

If you moved the first batch of notes to the EN trash, I think that may have caused the confusion. As Gaz said, the desktop clients estimate your usage based upon the amount the EN servers showed as used during the last sync and the amount you've added but not yet sync'd. If you had emptied the EN trash, it may have caused the message to disappear.

Archived