Tags Un-Nesting

why?

Idea

Hi,

I'm using Gneo on iOS and when it syncs it unests all the tags. I contacted their support who said:

Regarding the nesting of tags, unfortunately Evernote do not allow integration with their tag in this way so that we can preserve the tag nesting - if you would like to address this with Evernote that would be great!

Is this true and more importantly, can it be solved? There is no point using 3rd party apps that integrate with Evernote, but mess up the status quo. As I have many tags this is a problem.

I'm looking for a solution. It seems a shame that third party apps interaction that uses tags un-nests all the existing tags. Does anyone know if this is true of all third party apps?

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Evernote supports single-level tags that can be 'stacked' under an apparently largely cosmetic parent tag - presumably to save space and speed up tagging.  If another app has a more complex tag structure it won't copy across.  The answer - at least unless and until Evernote comes out with a more complex structure of its own - would appear to be not to nest tags in 3rd party apps.  There are tagging schema that 'nest' tags by combined naming - instead of separate tags for parent and child tags,  use parent_child1 and parent_child2 etc.  

Evernote does have a much more sophisticated search function that most other apps and some users (me included) try to avoid tagging altogether...

• Level 5*

Evernote Tags can be organized in a multi-level hierarchical manner.  I would not call them "stacks" as that could confuse the organization with Notebooks.

Evernote offers many different ways to organize your Notes.  Some make extensive use of Tags, others choose to limit or not use Tags.  There is no "best" way.  It depends on your needs and preference.

When 3rd party apps interact with Evernote it is up to the app to behave appropriately.  I have no idea why any app would remove a Tag from a EN Tag hierarchy, but it need not be so.  If the app you are using does not behave as you would like, I'd suggest that you submit a request to the app developers to make the change you desire.

My issue is similar, but somewhat opposite. I was using Evernote Web on my android tablet with Firefox. I attempted to scroll the left side menu, using touch of course, and somehow the #%$& thing grabbed a couple of my tags and "nested" them under another tag. Made them "child tags" or "stacked" I guess.

My question is: How to I return them to their original "un-nested" state?

• Level 5*

My issue is similar, but somewhat opposite. I was using Evernote Web on my android tablet with Firefox. I attempted to scroll the left side menu, using touch of course, and somehow the #%$& thing grabbed a couple of my tags and "nested" them under another tag. Made them "child tags" or "stacked" I guess.

My question is: How to I return them to their original "un-nested" state?

Tags can be easily dragged and dropped into or out of stacks - too easily sometimes,  as you have found.  Just drag them back to where you want them..

Archived