send clips to desktop Evernote

LeeBreisacher

In the options for the Firefox Web Clipper, I see a choice to "Send clips to: " ...Evernote Web, or...Evernote on your desktop. But the Chrome Web Clipper does not seem to have that option. How can I tell the Chrome clipper to send clips to the local desktop EN? (I'm on Windows). It seems the Chrome clipper can only send clips to my web account?

• 2 months later...

I'm sure Evernote welcomes your suggestions, of course.

However, I should point out that Evernote staff have stated elsewhere in I similar discussions that

1)most browsers make it very difficult to write extensions that directly interact with local storage, if not impossible.

2) that Evernote does not intend to change the behaviour.

Sadly despite the feedback, I wouldn't keep your fingers crossed for too long. Looks like EN has put their foot down on this one.

Thanks Scott for your reply.

A strange thing happened today however so I thought I would post a video in here just for 'evidence'....

I was having serious internet issues and ended up removing Chrome and reinstalling it. 

I couldn't believe it but the first time I went to use the clipper I was asked what would my default option be for opening an evernote link and I chose 'in evernote'.

I was thinking 'this won't work' but hey it did so what does this mean?

If you notice on the video a web link it also opened in Chrome but very quickly the url goes into Evernote desktop, synchronises and opens.

I'm pretty happy about that but the question is what is the truth here?

http://www.screencast.com/t/G0FByN12UPwI

After you make a clip you have an option to open the note you just created. The first time you do that - we will ask you if you prefer to open links in Chrome or in your desktop client. The choice you make will set a preference so all note links going forward will open in the client of your this preference. 

On a technical level that is not the same as sending the new clip to the desktop client even though the user experience is similar. In order to open the note link in the desktop client Chrome first needs to open the link in the browser and then hand it off to the desktop client since it is not permitted for an extension to directly talk to a native application (given how the Evernote note link system works).  

Not sure if that clarifies anything as this get technical pretty fast. 

IMO this is not acceptable. Find a way to use local storage. This is an incredible inefficiency in what should be a "click-and-forget" operation. Sometimes it takes dozens of seconds to clip, or hangs entirely. Not all of us have access to reliable high speed internet where we need to get work done.

IMO this is not acceptable. Find a way to use local storage. This is an incredible inefficiency in what should be a "click-and-forget" operation. Sometimes it takes dozens of seconds to clip, or hangs entirely. Not all of us have access to reliable high speed internet where we need to get work done.

I am not entirely certain that clipping to local storage will resolve your speed issues with clipping. 

• 5 months later...

I understand the technical frustrations and inability for the browser allowing addons the privilege to store files locally. My guess [as a non-technical person] would be that rule is in place to help ensure malicious software isn't downloaded onto your machine without your knowledge. (Although, mine still has been [through Chrome addons, somehow].)

As a user though I would ask that the wondrous Evernote team find some type of workaround. The company I work for has ridiculous security measures because of the type of information we work with. I can not install add-ons or have programs that connect to unsecured or out-of-house servers. (No Trello, no Evernote, etc.) They urged me to switch to OneNote to upload things to our Sharepoint but I refuse to switch from Evernote because A) You guys are amazing and B) I have 2 years worth of stored information on Evernote that would take me forever and a day to migrate.

So now I have downloaded the Evernote desktop version and allowed it to sync once (but have to do so at home on an unsecured network) but I can not sync it at work. Yet, everything I save are images or articles from the internet. Saving it to my computer first then loading it into Evernote Desktop would take too long, so for now I will open Firefox whenever I find something, use that add-on and send it to the desktop version--then sync those like once a month when I am on an unsecured network.

As you can imagine, not the best workflow. And since I use Chrome all the time to assist with my front-end development work, switching between the two is just a pain.

I know that I'm definitely in the 20% of the 80/20 rule but as you guys continue to upgrade the product I would love for issues like this to be considered.

Thank you all for such an amazing app!

• 2 years later...

Archived