Interesting sync problem

Kit_L

Idea

I have been away from home at a retreat; basic problem is Evernote (MacBook Air, Mavericks, Evernote v. 5.5) does not sync to either the web version of Evernote (correctly logged in) or to my iPhone (iOS 7, Evernote app uninstalled and re-installed following other suggestions I have seen).

But (and this is the interesting part) an image taken on the iPhone from within the iOS v. of Evernote appears on the laptop app a moment or two later—and not on the web version.

for me, the fact that the image appears on the laptop app tells me that sync is working (that way, anyway) but I cannot figure out why the work I have done on the retreat is only visible from within the laptop app.

I have changed the syncing frequency to 5 minutes, and I have manually synced from the laptop app, and the sync appears to happen (blue bar, "connecting" and "syncing" messages appear) but nothing I have done this week appears on the web version or the phone. I am connected to the web, and speed  ~5Mb/sec.

Suggestions?

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I have been away from home at a retreat; basic problem is Evernote (MacBook Air, Mavericks, Evernote v. 5.5) does not sync to either the web version of Evernote (correctly logged in) or to my iPhone (iOS 7, Evernote app uninstalled and re-installed following other suggestions I have seen).

But (and this is the interesting part) an image taken on the iPhone from within the iOS v. of Evernote appears on the laptop app a moment or two later—and not on the web version.

for me, the fact that the image appears on the laptop app tells me that sync is working (that way, anyway) but I cannot figure out why the work I have done on the retreat is only visible from within the laptop app.

I have changed the syncing frequency to 5 minutes, and I have manually synced from the laptop app, and the sync appears to happen (blue bar, "connecting" and "syncing" messages appear) but nothing I have done this week appears on the web version or the phone. I am connected to the web, and speed  ~5Mb/sec.

Suggestions?

not possible, i am afraid, though it will be interesting figuring out what happened! my guess: you might have two accounts created by accident and you think you are logged into the correct one. reset password online and see if ipad or mac ask for new password.

I know what has happened: only the first notebook is synced; all others are 'local'. IMO, this needs to be highlighted (and perhaps a different 'look' for this main container). Only the first notebook k will have the gear icon and the share icon displayed when hovered over.

Note to developers: perhaps this container notebook could be highlighted in some way. I can see now that all notebooks made following the first one are just ways of sorting the main one.

Question answered.

• Level 5*

I know what has happened: only the first notebook is synced; all others are 'local'. IMO, this needs to be highlighted (and perhaps a different 'look' for this main container). Only the first notebook k will have the gear icon and the share icon displayed when hovered over.

Note to developers: perhaps this container notebook could be highlighted in some way. I can see now that all notebooks made following the first one are just ways of sorting the main one.

Question answered.

Yep. This comes up every once in a while. I've asked for visual cues before as well in my desire to see more information density. It really helps to have the information available, and I am not a fan of the over-simplification that sometimes happens with apps on Mac (I also don't like poorly designed information-rich UIs).

GM, the guides to Evernote are not simple, they are simplistic, I feel, and this comment from someone who loves the program.

I have worked through the Guides; is there a more technical, fuller manual or a Wiki? Anyhow, working it out and I will get there. Thanks for your replies.

• Level 5*

I think they aim for simple because they are trying to draw new and inexperienced users into the service, but when you start getting complex (on the Blog, for example) it can scare off people. There isn't a middle ground between the simple stuff and the Evernote tech blog.

This forum is probably going to be the most helpful. I have some information on my site (see my signature), but I wouldn't exactly call it technical or complex. I mainly cover use cases or workflows I think Evernote is missing from their blog. For example, the information about limits of the service is critical (in my opinion) for anyone getting ready to dive into the service, but, as far as I know, there is no other place besides my blog to find many of the limits listed.

Make sure to look out for gems posted by other members. For example. SPGScott has a great helpful manual.

https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote-help#b=ca136823-f4bd-45ef-9b71-4e942a351b16&st=p&n=77ab0dcc-c7ee-4ba2-9b18-206c814971f1

I checked both evernote private email address on Mac AND iPhone/iPad and they are DIFFERENT. The email address on mac is xxxxxx@evernote.com, while on mobile it is xxxxxxx@yinxiang.com.

So I guess Evernote actually have 2 different systems that share usernames but not notes.

One is on web+mac, and the other on mobile. The mobile apps seems to be managed by another team and 'jinxiang' means 'impression' in Chinese.

Here's my solution: on the login screen of my mobile app, I found a link in chinese (well my app is in chinese so you may have different view) saying "change to Evernote International", and when I login on evernote international, I see what I have on the web/mac version. As I have been using iPad as main platform for evernote, and Mac version does not provide a link to change to 'Yinxiang' realm, I guest what I have to do is to export (if possible) all notes from mobile apps, re-login into Evernote International (which I assume is the same realm with web/Mac) and import them. From then on I would hope everything is done.

For your guys, if your web version is on www.evernote.com, please try to login at www.yinxiang.com, which should sync with mobile/ipad. I can confirm that I had it synchronized. However this is not good enough for me as I want it on Mac, so I'll just copy everything from mobile realm to Evernote International version.

If you don't see a link to change to evernote international, then I don't know other ways to sync mobile with mac, though you can see both by logging-in to different domains.

Archived