"Application can't be found" when I click on my links

Zaphron

Idea

I've created some links in my notes in the desktop version of Evernote that point to various files on an external hard drive that is attached to my computer via usb (pdf, video, etc.). However, when I click on the link I get an error message that says "application can't be found".  Does anyone know what is going on?  My EHD is mounted.

6 replies to this idea

Are you on Mac OS or Windows? The problem and solution will depend a bit on what system you are on. 

If you are on Windows, is your external hard drive being given the same drive letter? For example, if, when you created the link, the drive was given the letter E:, the link would be E:/Files/more files/blah.pdf

If that letter changes, the link would break. 

Can you clarify whether it is Finder (mac)/Explorer (Windows), or Evernote itself that is presenting the error?

Are you on Mac OS or Windows? The problem and solution will depend a bit on what system you are on. 

If you are on Windows, is your external hard drive being given the same drive letter? For example, if, when you created the link, the drive was given the letter E:, the link would be E:/Files/more files/blah.pdf

If that letter changes, the link would break. 

Can you clarify whether it is Finder (mac)/Explorer (Windows), or Evernote itself that is presenting the error?

Sorry, I thought I had posted in the "mac" section of this forum.  I'm on a macbook pro 10.9.1.  Evernote app is presenting the error.  My link structure is: 

file:///Volumes/IOMEGA%20HDD/Files/Tutorials/BPS/DigiScrap%20from%20Scratch/ShopForSupplies.mp4

My creation of the link is as follows:

1. In a note, I highlight the text that I want to "be the link";

2. command K to create a new link;

3. I type in "file://" (without quotes) - I read online somewhere that this is required;

4. I paste in the file path (I use a "copy file path" service I created) for the pdf, video, etc. that I want to link to;

5. I click "ok" to close the link dialog box

The link works when I immediately create it, but seems to lose its abilities the  next day (perhaps after the computer shuts down or Evernote is closed?) I'll run some scenarios and see if I can get a new link to stop working.

Sorry you did post in the "mac" section, I was moving too quickly to notice!

I just tested this with a .png file following your method and it worked fine. 

Does this happen for every type of file you link to? Perhaps the default application for that particular file type has been changed and broken Evernote's ability to open it? (e.g., .avi files suddenly defaulting to quicktime which can't open .avi). 

No worries!!  Thanks for your super quick reply/help!!

You suggestion made me re-think and look at my link...I'm such an idiot...I re-named the "tutorials" folder  DUH!!

However, now I've found another problem with my video links.  If I click on a video link I have created I get another error that says "The document XYZ could not be opened. The file may be damaged or may not be a movie file that is compatible with QuickTime Player", but I can navigate to the file in finder and double click it and it will open quicktime, no problem...weird...

Oh well, I was hoping these link thingies in EN would be a little more reliable.   :(

Once you unmount and remount the drive (or restart) does the path to the file change? - AFAIK the error just means Evernote can't find the end of that link.

Yes, thank you...this is exactly what happened due to my brain-lapse...at least now I know that if I get that error I know the original file has moved.

Thank you!!

Archived