Feature Request: Automatic tag words for every note inside a Notebook

Hugo Monteiro

Idea

24 replies to this idea

I think that some of you forget that the sole purpose of tags is not just organizing -- many of us use them to trigger.

So, for example, I've hooked up Task clone to evernote to extract tasks from Evernote and put them in todoist. 

I want the tasks I create in my journal app to automatically be taken and go into the todo app, however, I have to manually add the tag. If I sent it to a notebook and it tagged it, it could be triggered. Tags are the triggers for many automation tools so I think that may be the bigger issue here, particularly for those of us who use tags for organizing AND for triggering versus the notebook. I prefer more tags and less notebooks.

Not redundant.

So for example, everything in my Marketing notebook gets the Marketing tag. Everything in the Career notebook gets the Career tag. And so on. I put notes into one of a couple dozen notebooks. But sometimes a note could go into one of two different notebooks. For example, my career is marketing. So, sometimes I'll use the web clipper to pull in something that could go into the career notebook, and sometimes it goes into the marketing notebook. But to find it later, I'll tag it both "career" and "marketing". That say, since everything has a tag, just search by tag.

• Level 5*
On 12/8/2014 at 2:12 PM, evernotefan23 said:

I understand how this might seem redundant in most cases, i.e. when I first started using evernote recently, I found my tags and notebooks seemed to be repeating themselves, making them useless. 

However, I cleared all my tags, have most things sorted in notebooks and use as many keywords and titles as possible to help with searching, but still there are some things that cannot solve. 

For example, I have a notebook for freight claims that are late and their respective notes, so i can follow up and make sure that we get a refund. I have them separated into two notebooks, one for pending and one for completed. So a tag for pending and completed WOULD be redundant,

however, I want the pending notebook to tag automatically with Follow Up, and the completed notebook to tag automatically with Archive, which would NOT be redundant because Follow up and Archive are system wide tags that would apply in multiple cases, so I can search by my follow up tag and see all pending items from all notebooks, or exclude all archive tags with the minus sign function. 

In some cases it might get messy, but then again no system is perfect, especially since I am relatively new with evernote and am still figuring out a lot of the nuances. 

As the tag-handling improves, I would manually tag the notes that I want to archive with both "Archive" and "Follow-up". Then, for all those that I have followed-up on it is a simple matter of x-ing out that tag (removing it). I could then search on tag:"Follow-up" to find those that I still need to work on. Maybe I would have a "Pending" tag to show those that I have followed-up on but have yet to receive a reply...

Hello,

It would be nice to have the possiblility to add tags to notebooks so that, when creating a note inside a notebook, it could be automaticaly inherited from the notebook were it was created.

-

Cheers,

Hugo

As a general rule, that would seem a bit redundant...

I understand how this might seem redundant in most cases, i.e. when I first started using evernote recently, I found my tags and notebooks seemed to be repeating themselves, making them useless. 

However, I cleared all my tags, have most things sorted in notebooks and use as many keywords and titles as possible to help with searching, but still there are some things that cannot solve. 

For example, I have a notebook for freight claims that are late and their respective notes, so i can follow up and make sure that we get a refund. I have them separated into two notebooks, one for pending and one for completed. So a tag for pending and completed WOULD be redundant,

however, I want the pending notebook to tag automatically with Follow Up, and the completed notebook to tag automatically with Archive, which would NOT be redundant because Follow up and Archive are system wide tags that would apply in multiple cases, so I can search by my follow up tag and see all pending items from all notebooks, or exclude all archive tags with the minus sign function. 

In some cases it might get messy, but then again no system is perfect, especially since I am relatively new with evernote and am still figuring out a lot of the nuances. 

• Level 5*

Evernote has a feature which seems to be called either 'smart filing' or 'auto filing' which allocates emails into a suitable notebooks and tags them (or not) appropriately.  That's the only context under which Evernote adds tags automatically (AFAIK).  Other apps create tagged notes,  or require you to create notes with tags to spark actions,  but that's about it.

Why not geo tag them with your location?

I would like to bump this topic. I would like a note tagged with "home," for instance, whenever i make a note within my home city. I don't want to have to search "chicago." although it will always have been chicago, it won't always have been my home.

• Level 5*

I tend to not use external apps (ok, I've used the occasional IFTTT or Zapier rule in the past), so I tend not to think of tags as triggers; they're certainly not in straight-up Evernote.

Not that they couldn't be, though; I've long thought that Evernote could add its own internal automation and that that would be useful.

• Level 5*

I think that some of you forget that the sole purpose of tags is not just organizing -- many of us use them to trigger.

So, for example, I've hooked up Task clone to evernote to extract tasks from Evernote and put them in todoist. 

I want the tasks I create in my journal app to automatically be taken and go into the todo app, however, I have to manually add the tag. If I sent it to a notebook and it tagged it, it could be triggered. Tags are the triggers for many automation tools so I think that may be the bigger issue here, particularly for those of us who use tags for organizing AND for triggering versus the notebook. I prefer more tags and less notebooks.

Fair comment,  but that wasn't the original post,  nor has it been raised until now.  I don't know whether Evernote envisaged that the database of notes could be a resource for some external app to trigger from,  but for the advertised intent of "external brain" automatic tags aren't an obvious feature.  It'd be up to the developers to consider whether and how to introduce such a feature - this conversation will have alerted them to the possible need at least...

• Level 5*

If I could tag everything that hits e.g. Inbox/IFTT-LinkedIn automatically, once that note is moved, the source would still be easily seen. Things don't stay in the Inboxes forever.

IFTTT and Zapier are useful services that could help some situations -- I liked Zapier, myself. As for Evernote inboxes, sure they're temporary, but if you don't have a need to clean them up any time something comes in, then you could let them accumulate and then do mass tagging, which is supported on all of the desktop clients, and the web client as well. Select all of the notes in the notebook, and you should be able to tag them in one fell swoop, and move them to a different notebook too.

As it happens, I'd be in favor of rules in Evernote that do tagging, notebook assignments, etc. I use them in GMail all the time. But Evernote doesn't have them, so we're in workaround mode.

"As before, it's easy enough to filter via notebook."

I consider the locations that external apps dump notes into to be temporary Inboxes (content that needs to be dealt with/filed) - the notes don't stay there so filtering on that notebook isn't really helpful.

If I could tag everything that hits e.g. Inbox/IFTT-LinkedIn automatically, once that note is moved, the source would still be easily seen. Things don't stay in the Inboxes forever.

• Level 5*

Wow....not very helpful responses.

The response of ability to filter via notebook is fine. The workaround of having a note template that's pre-tagged is admittedly awkward. Do you have a better answer for the Evernote that exists today?

Having a set of actions that occur (whether that is tagging or something else) when a note is being created in a notebook could be a very useful feature.

Sure would be, I've suggested it before myself.

With the number of apps integrating with Evernote and sending content to notebooks, tagging with the source of the information automatically could be very useful to some.

As before, it's easy enough to filter via notebook.

So, you are stating that I can search for all items that have been put in Evernote by ScannerPro, Pocket, Cloud Magic, or some IFTTT recipe by using the source: syntax?

I don't think that is the case but that would help.

A lot of integrated apps place content into a user-specified notebook. People triage this 'Inbox' and move the content around. Would be helpful if the original notebook it was stored in could tag the source device/app automatically.

• Level 5*

Having a set of actions that occur (whether that is tagging or something else) when a note is being created in a notebook could be a very useful feature.

With the number of apps integrating with Evernote and sending content to notebooks, tagging with the source of the information automatically could be very useful to some.

Already available.  Check into the search grammar.  It is possible to search for the source of clips - "source:mobile.android" for instance.  Tags in that situation are redundant.

Redundant how?

I think it depends on how you use Evernote.

Tags exist for the sole purpose of helping find notes (in this case) using generic terms, when we don't know where the note is.

Having hundreds and hundreds of saved notes, it's a bit awkward to add tags to each and every note we create, even if it's neatly organized into a specific notebook.

It's redundant b/c if you don't know what notebook you put something into, how will you know what tag you used?  OTOH, if you want to use a multitude of tags, why bother putting it into a specific notebook?  I do not have "hundreds & hundreds" of notes.  I have thousands & thousands of them.  And yet...pretty much each & every search I use starts with "all notes".  That's b/c I tend to rely more upon descriptive titles & keywords & less upon notebooks for finding my notes. 

Oh, the irony.  :rolleyes:

Yes, I know. My point exactly.  </eyeroll> </sarcasm>

• Level 5*

Hello,

It would be nice to have the possiblility to add tags to notebooks so that, when creating a note inside a notebook, it could be automaticaly inherited from the notebook were it was created.

-

Cheers,

Hugo

Oh, the irony.  :rolleyes:

• Level 5*

One way to do with today's Evernote it would be to maintain a blank template note for each notebook that needs this capability. Tag the template note as appropriate. Any time you need a new note in that notebook, start by doing a Copy Note operation on the note, making sure that you use the option to preserve tags. To keep the template note easily available in that notebook, you could make it into a reminder note, and so long as you were using the snippet or card view, it would appear at the top of your note list.

Redundant how?

I think it depends on how you use Evernote.

Tags exist for the sole purpose of helping find notes (in this case) using generic terms, when we don't know where the note is.

Having hundreds and hundreds of saved notes, it's a bit awkward to add tags to each and every note we create, even if it's neatly organized into a specific notebook.

Hello,

-

Cheers,

Hugo

Archived