Pen support?

e_merlin

Hi,  I am thinking about  purchasing a new Windows laptop with an active digitizer screen and pen.  I am looking at the the Thinkpad Yoga or the Sony flip 11A.

I know they have there own note taking apps, but I am note really interested in learning something new.  I am curious to know what level of native Pen support iEvernote has?  Can someone who has solid experience please using Evernote and a pen chime in?  Is it integrated well?

I have looked a these Samsung 12.2 Note Pros that have a S-note app that automatically syncs with Evernote and has different pens, colors, line sizes, etc....  I hope Evernote can do that.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

• 1 month later...

I have been using pen-based computers since Evernote 2.x.  There is an ink note option, but it does not record only pen touches, but anything else that touches the touchscreen (surface pro 2). This means that you need to use the scroll bar to scroll unlike OneNote where you can use ink to write and scroll using touch.

I use RitePen for handwriting recognition because I can write anywhere on the screen and it allows the use of macros to automatically insert text or do other tasks. Penultimate might allow handwriting recognition within pages which can be imported into evernote, but it is not available for windows 8.1 (as far as I know). Even with higher end computer, handwriting recognition takes processing time and I can type faster than the computer can read my reasonably legible writing.

Ink notes in evernote only comes with option of yellow lined paper (earlier versions allowed you to change color of paper and maybe lines). Depending on my zoom, the default lines are too far apart and I end up writing 2 lines between the paper lines. There was a handwriting recognition option in the past that worked similarly to the shape-maker, but I don't use it and don't see that it is available now. I'm pretty sure the handwriting recognition is still part of OneNote.  Despite those 2 advantages for OneNote, I prefer evernote as it was syncable long before OneNote. It also allows me to dump pdfs and other documents in it anywhere and I can still find them on search. I'm not sure how well OneNote search works across notebooks.

I take all my handwritten lecture notes in evernote despite its limitations (very narrow scroll bars, single choice of paper, etc). I use S Note on my phone, but that's really only for grocery lists and similar temporary items. anything that needs to be a for-ever note is for evernote.

As you consider computers, think about whether you will be using keyboard and pen at the same time. If not, you might want to consider convertible or tablet with detachable keyboard. No sense carrying extra weight you won't use. It can make a huge difference if you have to hold the computer to write on it. If you need a keyboard for something quick, you can always use the on-screen keyboard.

I would love to see full pen support in Evernote Touch. I'm on the tipping point between Evernote and OneNote because of this feature and the ability to add photos to a Note. I like the way Evernote arranges notebooks better (both in the desktop and Touch versions). I would love to see these last touches come to Evernote Touch.

I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro with both Evernote Touch and Evernote desktop and I have to say that inking support is pretty poor compared to OneNote. As mentioned by others, Evernote touch doesn't support inking at all, and the desktop inking mode is horrendously cumbersome to use on a tablet with very few options and severe scrolling issues.

Although the actual strokes are pretty smooth and clear, the scroll bar doesn't recognise my active stylus so the most I can usually scribble is up to one page in portrait mode. It doesn't support my stylus' eraser function at all either.

I really hope they add inking support for the touch version, because right now I have to rely on OneNote for handwritten notes.

• 1 month later...
I recently purchased a Thinkpad Yoga. I had never tried OneNote until I got this Thinkpad Yoga so that I could use the pen. It's great with OneNote. Too bad Evernote does not support. I also just purchased a house and was using Evernote to manage all the documents. However, when it comes to being in stores and picking out appliances, and marking up a floor plan of the house, I'm having to go to OneNote because Evernote doesn't have the ability to make handwritten notes and handwritten marks on the documents.

I've been an Evernote super-user for several years. Based on posts and complaints I've seen over the last 6 months ago though, it seems Evernote is more interested in creating new features for a few mobile platforms than they are dealing with significant issues on the main platforms. I hate I have to use both OneNote and Evernote since the only way export it from OneNote to put into Evernote is a PDF which can't be easily modified then.

On my Samsung Note 8, my pen integration is part of the device's input possibilities, not a part of Evernote. In the first Notes the pen did not function except in a few Samsung apps.

Since I would assume that Microsoft sees Evernote and other similar applications as competition, I wonder if lack of built in, across the board functionality is intentional. I'd certainly be asking them why I can't use my pen in third party apps.

• 3 months later...

I've been a heavy user of Evernote for Windows for several years with >2k notes. I recently bought Surface Pro 3 (my first computer with pen support) and find it very dissapoiting that pen support in Evernote for Windows is so poor.

I consider moving some part of my note taking to OneNote due to its superior pen support, but I'm afraid of this dichotomy. This forces me to remember where I have put what. I doesn't make much sense since what I love in Evernote is to have one place for everything.

I'd like to make a strong complaint that Evernote has neglected pen support on Windows recently. Microsoft is pushing into pen support in Windows strongly and I think more and more OEMs will go that way adding pens to their products. Even now we have Thinkpad Yogas and Tablets, Dells, Sony and Fujitsu.

Evernote, please consider improving pen support in Windows. I would love to stay with Evernote, but OneNote in user scenarios with pen use is so much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what has been said in previous posts.  Like Szczenka, I have been considering the Surface Pro 3 but would want it to replace my Yoga 2 Pro and my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014.  I use the handwritten note functionality in Evernote for Android on my Samsung tablet and it works well.  It sounds like I need to look at OneNote if I want to get down to one device.

There are some other handwriting/note taking apps in the Windows store that are starting to look promising.  I don't see any that will sync with Evernote though.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this is an eye-opener! I am about to be given a Surface Pro 3 for work and was getting very excited about using Penultimate/Evernote on it. I already store many work documents and notes in Evernote and I love it. 

But now what? I heartily agree with Szczenka above: "Evernote, please consider improving pen support in Windows. I would love to stay with Evernote, but OneNote in user scenarios with pen use is so much better."

To Phil Libin: I love your product and it's greatest feature is that I can use it on any device at any time: my Galaxy S3, my iPads, my Windows laptops at home and work....and it all syncs wonderfully. Am I really going to have to give you up and sell my soul to Microsoft OneNote? I really don't want to! Please focus on getting this sorted. I work in a company providing IT services into schools. We are tech mad and the boss is buying the whole management team Surface Pros as he rates them so much!!! I

This is some of your marketing blurb:

Get Evernote for All Your Devices

Evernote is available for just about every device and platform, including smartphones, computers and on the Web, making it easy to remember everything and access it anytime, anywhere.

Phil, please focus on your core business (Evernote available on everything) and don't get distracted with expensive silly wallets and briefcases etc in your 'Market'.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a good solution using my surface. There is an app named "Scrble" that works pretty good and your notes can be shared right to Evernote touch on the surface. Also a lot better options than Onenote for emailing your notes, saving to PDF or a folder on the surface, or even dropbox if you have installed on the surface.

• 2 weeks later...

I echo everyone's sentiments about support for the Pen for Surface Pro 3. It is a wonderful device and I have used it exclusively for over a month now, I have been an evernote pro user for at least 5 years. I used to write on paper, scan all documents into evernote. I've been 100% paperless for a long time now. 

With Surface Pro 3, I don't carry paper any more. A tap on the purple button allows me to write write with One note. 

I wish Evernote Touch allowed me to create great ink notes - even if I can't launch with the purple button.

For now, I write in one note, and then email them to my evernote email address as a workaround.

• 2 weeks later...

Not just the Surface Pro and similar tablets. I've been a Pro user with the Windows Client since 2009. I've had a Dell Precision workstation M3800 for a few months. It is a touch screen Windows laptop, I have Windows 7, not 8.

I ended up here trying to work out how to use Ink Notes. I've concluded I can't. I can't even work out how to create an Ink note.

Until now, where I want to write, with a pen, I've been using https://realtimeboard.com/app/ to capture the pen writings and rough drawings. I can do it quickly and later transcribe into Word, email, Powerpoint etc. Shouldn't this be the domain of EN?

I don't see much point in using evernote on my tablet if I can't input with a pen - that's the entire point! I thought evernote would be seemless and great with my new tablet, since I use it with a laptop and external tablet... Huge disappointment and makes me want to reconsider my premium account since it's major functionality has been removed. I can input with an onscreen keyboard in word far easier.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have any word from evernote on this topic? Apparently you can add pen notes on android and it works well. Without surface pro 3 pen support, evernote will never surpass one note. 

I received a surface Pro 3 for Christmas and am mostly satisfied with the  pen integration with it.  The biggest thing I want from a pen is to be able to have my handwriting convert to text as l input. This works well with Evernote.

What is less good area things like scrolling and right clicks.

I use the desktop version because I couldn't figure out how to get Metro to function.

• 2 months later...

I am a long time Evernote user, I just joined a new organization in the education industry and need to evaluate the proposed use of One Note. All students have touch screens with pens, I have to say the pen support is huge and it gives OneNote an edge over Evernote with that feature alone. The downside of One Note is having it work on all devices and how Microsoft pulls you towards using more of their Office 365 environment. 

More and more people are upgrading to touch screens and styluses. I could see a steady stream of customers switching over this feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree with the person above that Evernote is more focused on new "cool" features for marketing than usability and core functionality. Seriously, did Evernote really need a Chat feature? Who uses that when every co-worker you know is on Skype?

I'm an Evernote power user and getting a Surface tablet. Lack of Pen support opens the door for me to consider other solutions. And if I move away from Evernote, my recommendations to others likely will switch also.

I don't have access to my WIndows 10 system at the moment, but there was an official Evernote Pen app in the Microsoft app store. I couldn't try it as the system I'm trying Windows 10 on doesn't have touch, this one does, but its only Windows 7 Enterprise.

I have tried the Win10 app, it still missing the pen support that I was looking for. I was trying to find a OneNote replacement. That being said I have returned to OneNote and abandoned Evernote. OneNote is amazing!

Archived