Business card scanning, both sides

Hi,

I really think the business card scanner introduced to the iOS app will become a very valuable too to me, but it just isn't usable in its current form. Most business cards now a days have information on both sides of the card. Especially if you are outside of the US. In Asia, people will have English information on one side and Chinese/Japanese etc on the other. Restaurants and stores will have a map on the back side, to their location. I want to be able to at least store this as a picture when I scan a card!

As it is now I cannot use it because I will have to use some other system for most of my business cards, which is a shame because I would love to only have to use the Evernote app. And it is a shame because it would only take adding the ability to at least scan and store the backside into the note. I cant even manually add a photo to a contact note.

Also, it would be great if I could manually choose to add a contact to my phone's contact list. I don't want to either have to add ALL contacts I scan, or none.

Thanks!

I agree that this could be improved. As a very new feature I imagine they are actively working to make it better. We have seen several releases with bug fixes and improvements already, so I suspect we will see more fixes and improvements as time goes on.

Alternatively, allow for scanned business card notes to have images attached, this was the backside of the business card, or any other image, can be attached.

I am new to Evernote and have read some discussions where no one from Evernote replied. Since I see a reply here, I will give it a shot:

What are the chances of getting the app on Android to offer business card scanning?

Also, I tried the camera method, does not work so good. What is the best way to scan directly in to Evernote from a none-Evernote scanner?

Thank you.

I am new to Evernote and have read some discussions where no one from Evernote replied. Since I see a reply here, I will give it a shot:

What are the chances of getting the app on Android to offer business card scanning?

Also, I tried the camera method, does not work so good. What is the best way to scan directly in to Evernote from a none-Evernote scanner?

Thank you.

Android:

While Evernote doesn't publish its development plans, I would say the chances are VERY high. There are different teams developing for different platforms so features sometimes (usually...) do not appear at the same time. 

Scanning

Yes, using your phone camera can have mixed results depending on the quality of the camera. You can use any scanner you like to convert paper documents into PDF documents (or images, whatever your device and your preference is). Evernote doesn't really care what you use to digitize your paper, so once it is on you computer you can just toss it into Evernote. 

There is only one Evernote-specific scanner and it is fairly new, it is certainly not the only way to go as people have been scanning into Evernote for ages prior to the Scan Snap Evernote Edition. .

Popular, inexpensive scanners are available from:

Doxie and Fujitsu

Others can likely chime in on their recommended models. 

Some guides on how others go "paperless" with Evernote:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2029451/how-i-went-paperless-with-hazel-and-evernote.html

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_go_completely_paperless_your_mac

Thank you for the reply. I have been scanning some with my Cannon printer/scanner. I have been doing them as PDF, but after reading through forums, am I understanding correctly that PDF's do not get indexed and I need to scan them as JPG?

• 2 months later...

I'd love to be able to scan both sides of a business card and be able to add fields that the camera may not pick up... For a REAL example, I received an item that I ordered and there was a business card in there. Now for whatever reason, the person/company decided to put the address on the second side of the business card. So I scanned the front of the business card with my iPhone, there's no address and I can't add it to the existing contact info in the top half of the note (Mac). I'm forced to type the address in the lower Notes section of the business card note (just above the picture of the card).

On your iPhone, locate any contact note and tap "edit" in the top right. This should allow you to add any field you'd like or correct poorly populated fields.

Thanks Scott! 

I'd still like to see support for 2-sided business cards. Or be able to add an image (copy/paste?)...

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this great feature!

2-sided business card scanning is awesome which made me keep all my biz cards in Evernote however the process to save back side of business cards is a time consuming process. First, you need to scan front side and then go edit the created note. If you want to add multiple biz cards, you need to scan all front side of cards first and then edit records one by one to add back side.

There should be a pop-up option after scan front side and OCR otherwise current scanning flow is quite time consuming.

Archived