(Archived) Can I buy more usage

Hi Friends,

I have a Premium account and like the Evernote product. However, it is possible I could exceed the 500 mb limit at least for the first few months as I transfer information into the system.

If I run out of usage can I buy more from you on a month-by-month basis? Happy to pay for what I need.

Thank,

Scot Giles

We don't currently have a good option for getting more upload quota in a given month. (A few people have achieved this with a lot of effort by signing up for $5 one month subscription, using it, canceling, and then doing it again, but this is obviously a hassle for them and not something we'd want to subject you to.)

We are considering more options like this for Evernote in the future, however.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Once I'm up and running the 500 mb/month will probably be fine; but I'm probably not alone in needing more usage when getting the system loaded with my backlog of data.

I will probably solve this by creating a local notebook and moving my materials into that, then as the end of each month approaches I will move a portion of that content into a synchronized notebook until my usage maxes out. But this is something of a cludge, and a more elegant solution would be nice.

As Premium users get a special level of support perhaps you could set up something through Premium Support that would enable those users to pay an extra fee for extra usage to get us over the "start-up" hump on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks again, and you've got a good product here.

Scot Giles

Using my Eye-FI card my account was maxed out really quickly.

Anyways...I do not see how the work around above can help. I already have multiple Evernote accounts. Could I use the new collaboration sharing feature to post new info into a separate account and grant access to my other account?

Can I please just pay $10 a month for 1GB already? Seems kind of silly that it's not an option.

Thanks,

Andy

Interesting! I logged in today to put up just this post! I, too, am a premium user with several gigs of stuff to get into Evernote before it will really help me search as I need to. Once I get the initial "load" onto EN, my usage is unlikely to hit 500mb again. I do wish you would come up with a way we can buy a hunk of upload capability. It appears it will take me six months to get everything up, and that's a long time to wait for the advantages that EN will give me!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also about to max out my Premium monthly quota and have 18 days left until it resets! I have to upload more stuff this week.

Perhaps the limit should be naturally bumped up to 1GB to accommodate the few users that need it. It would be silly to have another pricing tier as I'm quite certain that only a small number of users would actually need this much space and if they do, it would likely only be a one off thing.

Anyways...I do not see how the work around above can help.

It works b/c local notebooks don't get uploaded. The XX mb limit is only what's UPloaded per month. So if you store some notes temporarily in a local notebook, then you can add some of those into sync'd notebooks on the last day or two of your cycle, so you can use up all your XX mb. Then when your cycle starts over, you can add the other notes to a sync'd notebook. I did this a few times when I still had a free account.

Of course if you're wanting to upload 1000 mb per month, this doesn't help much. :o

• 4 months later...
I will probably solve this by creating a local notebook and moving my materials into that, then as the end of each month approaches I will move a portion of that content into a synchronized notebook until my usage maxes out.

Exactly what I'm doing. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I've e-mailed Evernote support in the past and they've upped my quota for one month. It's a hassle though.

That said, I've steadily watched my usage grow over the last year and I'm barely fitting in the 500MB limit. In fact, this month, I think my normal usage will finally hit over 500MB! Guys, please add a second plan! I'd be happy to pay you for more upload.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5

I am a very active Evernote premium user, but I have never hit the cap.

I don't use Evernote for storing HDV videos and high-resolution RAW format photos.

It would be super to be to set up a 3rd party auction house to sell some of my unused uploads at a price the market would bear.

I could turn my Evernote in a profit center! Heh, heh.

Thanks for all your recent comments and suggestions about the current upload plans and limits. I do not really have an update from the last time Dave posted, but I will certainly address this with the relevant teams again to see if we can offer additional solutions.

IMO, often, these requests are normally by people new to EN. They've found EN & are newly committed to it. (Not a bad thing.) But they want all their stuff in EN right now. I can certainly understand that, being more than a bit OCD myself. But it's also good to taper on b/c on more than one occasion, over the years, I found what I thought was wonderful software. Even given a trial version of 15-30 days, I was in love with it. Then three months later, you realize it doesn't do waca waca & you become disenchanted.

However, I've use EN (the service) since Oct 2008. I've been tapering on since then. Upgraded to premium in August of 2009. Even with the increase in upload limits a few months ago (THANK YOU!), I find I have to appropriate notes to offline notebooks until the last/first day of my upload cycle. I'm not complaining...just sayin'. :D Based upon a couple of "how many notes do you have" threads, it appears I'm in the minority b/c I tend to have a lot more notes than others. Of course upload limit isn't based upon note count but rather content size. And even then I seem to be in the minority. (My local/Windows db is now hovering at 8 gigs.) I do tend to include a fair amount of audio files (IE Livescribe aac files) and even short video files. (I was involved in a traffic accident recently & took videos which I've uploaded to EN.) And I realize they chew up more space than your average text note/web clip or Word/Excel document.

But...if it were possible to pay extra for an increased upload limit, I'm good with that. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like the chance to buy more usage. I think it would be great if you could offer something like a "Premium Extra" where we could pay more for extra usage every month but also a one-off "emergency extra" where if you hit your limit and need to keep going, you can buy yourself a little extra usage then and there.

Thanks for reading,

findo

• 1 month later...

Another use case. I am a Premium user from right after I found out about Evernote. I usually take up only a small fraction of my usage per month but went Premium mostly because I believe in the product and it's worth supporting.

Tonight I took over the Treasurer/Secretary office in our homeowner's association. I have a stack at least 2 feet high that are everything from hand-jotted notes to legal certificates. I just finished 1 1/2 inches and am already at 410 or 1024 MB and have 19 days left. With my Fujitsu ScanSnap I can barrel through these papers but would love to have the option to throw some money your way to boost that limit for a month or two.

This stuff is such a mess and I have to organize it and Evernote is the only thing that makes sense right now. I can scan everything and sort/search/sift through it all and find out where I am in preparation of moving forward.

Thanks! I know there's nothing in place yet but wanted to show yet another way that we could need a boost.

Jim

• Level 5*

Coming to this from another point of view.... As a supplier, I have a very simple billing system - you either pay a fixed amount or you don't. This makes accounting incredibly easy, it also helps with hardware scaling as decent guesstimates can be made as to the amount of network, processing, storage etc that are required each month. My application that runs on multiple platforms is also built with to support 2 options.

Now I have a request from what I'm guessing is a relatively small user group to be able to add more data on an ad-hoc basis. To achieve this I am going to have to make substantial changes to the way my accounting system works, to the way I bill even to the design and UI across all my multiple platforms. It's also going to make planning just that little bit harder.

On balance then, this small user group who may chuck a relatively small amount of money my way to add extra storage on an ad-hoc basis are going to require me to make changes all across my business.

I would love to have larger note sizes, a bigger monthly upload limit - I'd probably start pushing all my music up to Evernote as a backup for example. If I could do it in a month then I probably would.

I can completely understand why Evernote would not want to do this and why it might be unlikely to happen.

If you are new to Evernote and on a charge to get your data in then (and it's been suggested in this thread already), use Local notebooks and gradually move your data across. You've lived your whole life up until today without Evernote, surely you can wait a few more months to have everything in the system?

• Level 5*

I'm another convert with a bucketload of old paperwork to shred or convert, and I've been frantically trying to prioritise taking the time to weed through the "historical documents" with the need to scan and maximise the use of my upload limit each month. So far I'm not that well organised, so fall well short of the current limit anyways - but it never occurred to me that I can have an offline Archive notebook for stuff that I want to keep, but won't have an urgent need to look at, and then my only online usage will be the current, day-to-day trickle. I can take up any spare usage capacity with items from the Archive notebook at the end of my cycle. Thanks all - one simple idea just removed a little unneccessary stress from my life!

Keeping the Archive stuff offline also means that I don't taint my ongoing searches with any hastily included and badly headed / tagged items (which has been a factor recently).

I was going to support this suggestion - although I can see that too many committed uploaders would be a sizeable bandwidth problem - but that lovely word "offline" means I don't need it!

I will certainly address this with the relevant teams again to see if we can offer additional solutions.

Just wondering if there might be any news on this. Like gazumped, I have a big project I'm trying to get into Evernote along with my usual uses on PC, iPad and iPhone. I run out of data in the first week every month, and it's going to be like that for at least the rest of this year. I love Evernote, but this is not a practical situation so I'm asking again, pretty please, to pay for extra allowance.

Please, take my money and help me to keep using Evernote!

Any good news for us?

Thanks,

findo

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also facing this constraint.

Working on many PDF's for my dissertation and marking them externally in Apple Preview, then I would like to back it up in evernote, but each time my data allowance gets smaller and smaller!

Why can we not pay for a higher allowance?

Can't you guys just buy a share in a new data center?

We would all be more than happy to pay for additional allowance!

Please make the best productivity app even better!

I don't know if this is any consolation or encouragement, but after the first couple of months of intense uploading, I no longer get close to using my limit, but still use EN for everything everyday, including formal research. s

I do have a suggestion for EN though, and that is to allow two months of double usage per year. A policy like that might accommodate the occasional needs of many users for heavy activity.

Why can we not pay for a higher allowance?

Can't you guys just buy a share in a new data center?

Let's put it like this. Don't you think if it were easy as pie to do, that they would do it, since it would (pretty much almost) instantly increase revenues?

• 1 month later...

However, I've use EN (the service) since Oct 2008. I've been tapering on since then. Upgraded to premium in August of 2009. Even with the increase in upload limits a few months ago (THANK YOU!), I find I have to appropriate notes to offline notebooks until the last/first day of my upload cycle. I'm not complaining...just sayin'. :D Based upon a couple of "how many notes do you have" threads, it appears I'm in the minority b/c I tend to have a lot more notes than others. Of course upload limit isn't based upon note count but rather content size. And even then I seem to be in the minority. (My local/Windows db is now hovering at 8 gigs.) I do tend to include a fair amount of audio files (IE Livescribe aac files) and even short video files. (I was involved in a traffic accident recently & took videos which I've uploaded to EN.) And I realize they chew up more space than your average text note/web clip or Word/Excel document.

But...if it were possible to pay extra for an increased upload limit, I'm good with that. :D

Just an FYI. Over the past few months, we've purchased a home (which requires all new lighting/plumbing fixtures as well as a few other various things), are in contract for the sale of the current home & my mom has had some serious medical issues. I'm filling up my EN like crazy with all the info I'm collecting from these experiences. :) I've set up several local notebooks for the notes that can be added when I know I have the upload allowance. (IE, if I have a notebook named "Sale of current home" and I want to put a note in that notebook but not upload it to the EN servers until I know I have enough space for that month, then I create a local notebook "Sale of current home - HOLDING" & put the note there. Then, on the last day of my cycle, I know exactly which notebook those notes need to go into & can quickly move them to the sync'd version of that notebook, since it's listed directly above the local one in the notebook list.) Anyway, point is, I'd gladly welcome & pay more for a larger upload allowance.

I know Dave said it's problematic to have a cafeteria type pricing plan, so I know it may not be feasible now or in the near or not-so-near future.

I'm just sayin'. :D

Great idea for the "holding" local notebooks when needed.

Dave, how about a rollover setup where we can accumulate from months we don't use the allowance, up to some point... 3GB for example. Then when we need it, it's there.

• 1 month later...

I am new to Evernote and am really interested in using it. But I have 30GB of data that needs to be stored on line. I don't anticipate going over the monthly limit once that first upload is done. But what can I do? I have looked everwhere on this forum for a solution, but can't find anything. Anyone have an answer?

• Level 5*
.. I have 30GB of data that needs to be stored on line...

Ain't gonna happen - but does it all need to be uploaded to Evernote immediately? Your "usage" is a measure of uploads, not all the material saved to local notebooks, so you could -

1) Save all non-critical items to a local notebook

2) Upload current and operational material within your monthly limit

3) Top up your uploads to the monthly maximum at the end of each period from the non-critical stuff (per BnF elsewhere in this forum)

Whilst also looking at ways to reduce the size of files, weeding out old material and storing some stuff outside Evernote but linked in to a note by URL.

Either that, or write your request on a very large denomination banknote and post to Evernote Corporation..

• Level 5*

I do have a Samsung Galaxy S2 16GB which will take up to 32GB additional memory so you could have all your data portable immediately within Evernote if you store it in a local database on a similar 'phone; or you could rent server space somewhere (for 3 or 4 years) and set up your own private databank until the Evernote upload is complete.

Note: you'd have to address some technical and security issues in either case, but both are do-able.

Note also: Evernote have increased their upload limit once, and will likely do it again. (I have no inside knowledge on this, just healthy expectations..)

Various existing sites offer storage space, many with desktop clients to make transfers easier; but most have limits, are designed to share data with others, and you rely on someone else's security to protect anything you regard as proprietory or just private. Also you rely on their business model, because from time to time you see these sites announce they're closing down..

So at the end of three years, i should have all my data in the clouds so i can access anywhere? Any other suggestions? Or other programs?

Gazumped offered some excellent suggestions & that's what I do. Since I've been accumulating data/files for more than a few decades & going "as paperless as possible" for several years before starting up with EN, I know I'm never going to have everything in EN, unless & until they offer additional upload amounts. But as Gazumped pointed out, much of that is not really needed in the EN cloud (meaning I can add it to a local/non-sync'd notebook on my desktop) and/or add them to sync'd notebooks at the end of each cycle, when I know how much remaining I have.

There are a couple of ways I can access the data that's not in the EN cloud from off site. One way is I can use the Jungle Disk iPhone app or web client to access my files in the Jungle Disk cloud. JD is my main, offsite backup system & has been for many years. It's absolutely great for that purpose, but isn't the best way to access a single document or file, should I need it, IMO. But in a pinch, it's doable.

The second (and my favorite way) is to use the Logmein client on my iPhone. (Or you can use the web version, if you're using another computer.) I leave my computers on 24/7 & have all my docs stored in a Truecrypted container. Logmein allows me to remotely control my computer at home, so I can call up any docs that are stored on my hard drives at home. Or, I can even remotely use the EN desktop client & access notes stored in local/non-sync'd notebooks. Logmein is a bit pricey, but IMO, worth it. If you're good with firewalls, security, etc, you can set up your own version of Logmein for free, using open source apps. But that's not in my skill set, so I pay the annual fee to Logmein. Also, there are other, similar apps, but that's the one I use & have used for several years.

I just took a look at the Logmein site & it looks like the free version allows you to remotely control your computer. I got the subscription version b/c there are features I needed/wanted. But other users may be fine with the free version.

I've e-mailed Evernote support in the past and they've upped my quota for one month. It's a hassle though.

That said, I've steadily watched my usage grow over the last year and I'm barely fitting in the 500MB limit. In fact, this month, I think my normal usage will finally hit over 500MB! Guys, please add a second plan! I'd be happy to pay you for more upload.

Ummm...500 mb limit??? Premium users get 1 gig a month.

Archived