Enhancement Request: Add 'Text Highlight Color' Capability

This is possible and rather quite easy.   I'm on MAC (using a Direct download from EN).

1.  If it's a text file that you're wanting multicolor highlighting.  First right click and convert to a PDF file. Then open in Skitch, click the highlight tool and choose the color you want.  

2.  You can also use Preview on OSX to highlight in a different color.  The key here is to first convert to a PDF.

Both options are rather easy and can be done in seconds.

This is possible and rather quite easy.   I'm on MAC (using a Direct download from EN).

1.  If it's a text file that you're wanting multicolor highlighting.  First right click and convert to a PDF file. Then open in Skitch, click the highlight tool and choose the color you want.  

2.  You can also use Preview on OSX to highlight in a different color.  The key here is to first convert to a PDF.

Both options are rather easy and can be done in seconds.

I see.

Okay... but it would be nice to be able to highlight text directly as can be done with Aquamind's NoteTaker.

• 7 months later...

I agree with UncleRic. I would love to change the color of the text highlight, especially when using the mobile app. Converting to PDF is relatively painless, but if you are doing a lot of note taking and highlighting this additional step becomes cumbersome quickly. Not to mention the additional step of editing the PDF if you want to actually change the text after the fact.

My main reason to change the highlight color is that yellow highlight on a white background doesn't draw enough attention to the highlighted text. Maybe if it was Day-Glo yellow, but the pale yellow Evernote has chosen doesn't cut it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Originally posted 15 June 2014 at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60962-a-way-to-add-brighter-colors-to-highlighter/?p=284914

I came up with my own workaround for this by creating templates in MS Word using the highlighting and shading options and then copied from MS Word into EN "template" notes. When I want to highlight something in a different color I copy the row from the template note into the note I'm working on and edit the text in the now highlighted section of the note. Unfortunately you can't select and highlight existing note text with these colors but you can copy the shaded row from the template and then Copy > Paste as Text your existing note text and then adjust the text formatting to your liking (size, color, bold, etc.)

Here are some examples:

post-77020-0-78497400-1402884540.jpg

post-77020-0-97013400-1402884545.jpg

Not quite the ideal way to do this but I'm very happy with my results and not sure I'd actually get anything more to my liking with similar functionality built into EN. 

I copied my templates to a public notebook if you want to steal them outright or use them as a starting point for your own experimentation:

https://www.evernote...evernote-public

Things to note:

• I mostly edit notes in the Win desktop client so I'm not sure how this will work on other platforms. My notes with the highlighting do seem to render well in my Galaxy Note phone. 
  • In the templates, the first row is shaded the color and the font is black Tahoma 10 Bold. The second row is shaded as well and the little boxes are ASCII characters in black. The third row is NOT shaded but rather large ASCII character rectangles with the font color set to match the shading on the other two rows. I created these because I like to use the squares and rectangles rather than horizontal rules to create more visual section separations. 
  • The big giant colored squares are images that match each of the colors and, provided you have no other images in your note that will override the size of these, can be used to force color coding of your thumbnails in snippet view. I probably could have made these smaller but I haven't really played with them yet to see if the large size bugs me. (Shout out to GrumpyMonkey for the colored image snippet idea.)

When I have time I'd like to make note templates using all these same colors as background colors. If I ever do that I'll add them to the public notebook as well.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see an option to change the highlight text color just like you can change the font color. I would think setting an option should not be any harder than setting it for the font feature? Just set the transparency to 60-80%?

Archived