How to upload quotes from PDF files to Evernote?

Hi all, recently I've been spending A LOT of time trying to come up with a solution for storing quotes I've highlighted in ebooks on my Sony PRS-T2. I spent A LOT of time on this so I'd appreciate opinions on possible problems I might have with this setup.

This is what I was able to come up with tonight:
I created another Evernote account and made a notebook in that account as the 'designated PRS-T2 uploader account' so all quotes I make on the PRS-T2 are now sent to that notebook in that account.

As normal, I highlight the quote on the PRS-T2, but now I add the page number in the space at the top half of the screen. This way I can see the page number of where the quote is from and I'm unable to accidentally edit it because it's a shared notebook, which is set to 'read only'.

I don't see any flaws with this as I'm able to do everything I want: quotes with page numbers and the book title as well as quotes being uneditable.

I hope this helps someone out there!

If I deleted my highlights and notes on the Reader device I'd still have the highlights on Evernote, but I don't know how I'd send them back to the Reader.

If I used the 'export to .rtf' function in the Sony Reader desktop app would you be able to send your notes from the desktop app to the Reader?

I thought all the highlights were backed up to the Sony Reader desktop app so if you lost your Sony Reader device or deleted your books you'd be able to just put everything back on the device, right?

I'm just concerned with making highlights and not so much about handwritten notes.

Does anyone have an answer?

• Level 5*

Anyone? I'm still wanting to know if there's a better solution I could use.

Thanks!

You don't need to keep asking. This is a user forum: if someone has any ideas, then they'll post.

It seems like Sony hasn't offered a real 'cloud solution' for backing up of highlighted notes other than Evernote.

What would happen if my PC crashed and so I had to re-install Windows. If I plugged in my Sony PRS-T2 and I hit 'Sync' in the Sony software would the Sony PRS-T2 upload all its books and notes to the PC or would the PC 'sync' and wipe out my PRS-T2?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I want to upload highlights I select from e-books I'm reading on my tablet device. I haven't bought a tablet yet because I don't know if it's possible or not.

i've been using this solution for backing up highlights on my Sony PRS-T2 Ebook reader and it's been working great. Please read this thread:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45404-sony-prs-t2-and-storing-quotes-in-evernoteopinions-please/#entry237306

Could someone please help me?

Hey guys, I've got a Sony PRS-T2 and while it works great on .ePub format books it's really hard for me to read .pdf files.

It's really important for me to be able to highlight passages and be able to store these highlights some place. 

This is how I use the PRS-T2:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45404-sony-prs-t2-and-storing-quotes-in-evernoteopinions-please/#entry237306

Please help me!

Hi all, I want to upload highlights I select from e-books I'm reading on my tablet device. I haven't bought a tablet yet because I don't know if it's possible or not.

i've been using this solution for backing up highlights on my Sony PRS-T2 Ebook reader and it's been working great. Please read this thread:

You've just linked back to this very note. C&B

• Level 5*

Since you've been asking the same question since November '13 it's a pretty safe bet that there's no-one out there with the same device that's able to help you.  If you haven't already tried the Sony forums (if there are such) it might be an idea - otherwise all I can suggest is that you check whether the Sony would allow you to copy/ paste passages into an email and send that to your appropriate Evernote email address.  Since you can specify note-title,  notebook,  tabs,  reminders and appending in the email title you'd have pretty fine control over where it went - but there's no automatic source attribution,  so your note-title would have to include <sourcebook><page><etc>.

Hope that helps.

:)

Since you've been asking the same question since November '13 it's a pretty safe bet that there's no-one out there with the same device that's able to help you.  If you haven't already tried the Sony forums (if there are such) it might be an idea - otherwise all I can suggest is that you check whether the Sony would allow you to copy/ paste passages into an email and send that to your appropriate Evernote email address.  Since you can specify note-title,  notebook,  tabs,  reminders and appending in the email title you'd have pretty fine control over where it went - but there's no automatic source attribution,  so your note-title would have to include <sourcebook><page><etc>.

Hope that helps.

:)

Hey, thanks for your reply.

This thread is messed up because of the merging.

I'm fine with the Sony PRS-T2, but I need to buy a tablet device so I can read .pdf files. How can I upload saved highlights from e-books and place them into Evernote on the tablet in the same way I do it with the Sony Reader?

I'm wanting to buy my first tablet device to use mainly for reading .pdf e-books. I also need to be able to highlight quotes from inside e-books and then upload them some place in the cloud or on the device so that I can review the quotes at a later date.

I've been using a Sony PRS-T2 e-book reader and this works perfectly for me for .epubs because I can highlight quotes from e-books and then upload it to Evernote.

Thank you!

• Level 5*

Exactly how do you do it in a Sony ebook reader?

If you buy a tablet you're going to have various choices of OS - iOS, Android, RT, WIndows - some of which offer different degrees of access to PDF files.  I can highlight and copy PDF paragraphs in Windows 8 desktop and would be able to paste them into a new note or into an email like I suggested above.  I don't know whether PDF files display inline or as attachments in all the available OS's,  and I don't know how far copy and paste would take you.  

Best suggestion would be to find a friend who has a tablet and would be willing to lend you some face time on it - if they don't already use Evernote you can install the app for them,  and just try out your own account to see whether the OS does what you need.

Alternatively talk to some dealers and see what they can recommend.

I don't need to export sections of PDF in the same way you do,  and I don't browse from a tablet;  so unless there are some better suggestions out there...

I'm wanting to buy my first tablet device to use mainly for reading .pdf e-books. I also need to be able to highlight quotes from inside e-books and then upload them some place in the cloud or on the device so that I can review the quotes at a later date.

I've been using a Sony PRS-T2 e-book reader and this works perfectly for me for .epubs because I can highlight quotes from e-books and then upload it to Evernote.

Thank you!

Could someone please help me with this?

Hi all, I desperately need help.

I'm wanting to buy my first Android tablet device to use mainly for reading .pdf e-books. I also need to be able to highlight quotes from inside e-books and then upload them some place in the cloud or on the device so that I can review the quotes at a later date.

Thank you!

Hi all, I'm running Windows 7 and I just want to be able to upload highlighted quotes from PDF files I'm reading and upload them into Evernote. Is there an app I can use to upload the quotes without me needing to do it directly from inside Evernote?

Please help me!

• Level 5*

Please don't cross-post.  I merged your other two posts on this subject with this main thread.  If someone is inclined to help you with this I'm sure they will,  but it's possible that no-one quite understands exactly what you're looking for.  In my Android device (Samsung Galaxy S3) I can open a PDF in several apps,  at least one of which (ezPDFreader) will allow me to edit,  including highlighting and copying content.  Once copied I can paste that content into Evernote - it doesn't automatically show the source of the quote,  you'd have to add that manually as a title.  I don;t know of an app that wil specifically suit your use case - you may have to buy the tablet and do some experimenting to find something with which you're comfortable.

Please don't cross-post.  I merged your other two posts on this subject with this main thread.  If someone is inclined to help you with this I'm sure they will,  but it's possible that no-one quite understands exactly what you're looking for.  In my Android device (Samsung Galaxy S3) I can open a PDF in several apps,  at least one of which (ezPDFreader) will allow me to edit,  including highlighting and copying content.  Once copied I can paste that content into Evernote - it doesn't automatically show the source of the quote,  you'd have to add that manually as a title.  I don;t know of an app that wil specifically suit your use case - you may have to buy the tablet and do some experimenting to find something with which you're comfortable.

Hey brother, thanks for your reply! The Android tablet just came in today.

I just want to be able to upload quotes from the PDF files on the Android tablet and place them into Evernote.

Hey brother, thanks for your reply! The Android tablet just came in today.

I just want to be able to upload quotes from the PDF files on the Android tablet and place them into Evernote.

Whatever software you are using to read your PDF should allow you to select and copy text from that PDF. I recommend the following:

1) Select the desired text

2) Copy that text

3) Highlight the selection

4) switch to evernote and paste

The order is very important. You need to COPY before you highlight. This will prevent the copied text from having the highlight applied to it too (this way you paste un-highlighted text to evernote).

This is how I have done it on my iPad. You Android tablet should be able to do exactly the same thing. 

Alright, thanks.

I'm still looking for a PDF reader that'll allow me to upload quotes to Evernote.

Does anyone know if it's possible to highlight the passage I've uploaded to Evernote in the e-book so that I can see what's already been uploaded?

Please help me.

As far as I know there is no application that will do that. You could always copy a passage, paste it into Evernote's search and see if it's been quoted.... There may be a third party tool out there too but your need I think is a very specific use case, I don't think anyone has created a tool to do specifically what you need.

I use Kobo E Ink devices, not Sony, but this is the Evernote-based solution I've come up with; it actually works quite well:

I do tons of nonfiction research reading (as fodder for the science-fiction novels I write), and my current system -- which is easier than it sounds -- is this:

On my Kobo, I highlight as normal, but I have used the hack that turns on screen captures when you press the power button. The current screen (including the highlighting) is saved as a PNG graphic in the Kobo's root directory.  [i know Kindle can do screen-captures, too; perhaps there's a method on the Sony Reader?]

I then batch convert those PNGs to graphic PDFs, stack them into a single document per book, and upload those to Evernote.

Evernote does OCR on the graphics (quite reliably, and it has no trouble OCRing the highlighted passages), and then I can search my highlights in Evernote, and even see an exact image of the whole page containing the original highlight.

Hi Juggy,

You could try to use another software. I mean DOCEAR http://www.docear.org/

It is base on the mindmapping app Freeplane, with some extra functions.

It allows you to automatically create a mindmap from highlighted and even anotated PDFs 

You could then export the mindmap to Word, and copy the text to Evernote, or directly copy the mindmap to Evernote.

Not sure this is exactly what you are searching for, but if it can help.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. I don't know whether the Kindle platform would be of use to you or not. Further, I do agree with previous posters that you might get more information about what you are trying to do at forums of ereaders.  

Let me tell you what you can do in the Kindle system. For Amazon content you can highlight material on your reader. You can also do so for articles or PDFs you upload to the device. You can use the calibre software to convert existing PDFs to mobi files which Kindle uses as native. 

For books that you buy through Amazon, you can go to a special page for your account and see all your highlights and bookmarks. You can view this for all the books in an endless backward rolling list or you can search for individual books and view the material for just that book. 

From these pages you can use the Evernote web clipper to grab those quotes and put them in Evernote. What this will not do is restore highlights to a book that gets scrubbed clean. However, Kindle remembers your highlights and if you remove something from your device, it will still have your highlights. I have read it does this for content that did not originate from Amazon, too, but you can't view those highlights at the online website (and I've not verified that claim). 

As far as I know there is no application that will do that. You could always copy a passage, paste it into Evernote's search and see if it's been quoted.... There may be a third party tool out there too but your need I think is a very specific use case, I don't think anyone has created a tool to do specifically what you need.

Hey brother, thanks for your reply.

I just want to have the ability to not accidentally edit the quote while it's on the Android device before I upload it to Evernote.

I use Kobo E Ink devices, not Sony, but this is the Evernote-based solution I've come up with; it actually works quite well:

I do tons of nonfiction research reading (as fodder for the science-fiction novels I write), and my current system -- which is easier than it sounds -- is this:

On my Kobo, I highlight as normal, but I have used the hack that turns on screen captures when you press the power button. The current screen (including the highlighting) is saved as a PNG graphic in the Kobo's root directory.  [i know Kindle can do screen-captures, too; perhaps there's a method on the Sony Reader?]

I then batch convert those PNGs to graphic PDFs, stack them into a single document per book, and upload those to Evernote.

Evernote does OCR on the graphics (quite reliably, and it has no trouble OCRing the highlighted passages), and then I can search my highlights in Evernote, and even see an exact image of the whole page containing the original highlight.

Hey brother, this sounds like a really awesome solution because I won't be able to accidentally alter the quotes before I upload them to Evernote! I've come up with a solution on my Sony E-Book Reader.

I just need a solution for my Android tablet device. I just want to be able to not edit quotes on my Android device before I upload them to Evernote.

There must be a way for me to take 'screenshots' on my Android tablet of quotes I want to upload to Evernote.

Hi Juggy,

You could try to use another software. I mean DOCEAR http://www.docear.org/

It is base on the mindmapping app Freeplane, with some extra functions.

It allows you to automatically create a mindmap from highlighted and even anotated PDFs 

You could then export the mindmap to Word, and copy the text to Evernote, or directly copy the mindmap to Evernote.

Not sure this is exactly what you are searching for, but if it can help.

Thanks for your reply! I'm going to take a look at this now!

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do. I don't know whether the Kindle platform would be of use to you or not. Further, I do agree with previous posters that you might get more information about what you are trying to do at forums of ereaders.  

Let me tell you what you can do in the Kindle system. For Amazon content you can highlight material on your reader. You can also do so for articles or PDFs you upload to the device. You can use the calibre software to convert existing PDFs to mobi files which Kindle uses as native. 

For books that you buy through Amazon, you can go to a special page for your account and see all your highlights and bookmarks. You can view this for all the books in an endless backward rolling list or you can search for individual books and view the material for just that book. 

From these pages you can use the Evernote web clipper to grab those quotes and put them in Evernote. What this will not do is restore highlights to a book that gets scrubbed clean. However, Kindle remembers your highlights and if you remove something from your device, it will still have your highlights. I have read it does this for content that did not originate from Amazon, too, but you can't view those highlights at the online website (and I've not verified that claim). 

Thanks for your reply! I've already tried getting help on a e-book reader forum, but they haven't been able to help me. I've never tried using the Evernote web clipper.

Does anyone know of an app on Android where I could highlight quotes and then take a 'screenshot' of the quote and then upload that image to Evernote?

• Level 5*
Does anyone know of an app on Android where I could highlight quotes and then take a 'screenshot' of the quote and then upload that image to Evernote?

Not an 'app' as such,  but all Android phones allow you to screen shot the display - I presume the same applies to tablets.  Have a look at your users manual.

Excuse me if I don't understand, but I think what you need is someting I use everyday : use whatever ebook reader, and select a text, and clic "share" to Evernote and voilà.

I like Cool Reader (free) or even better Mantano Reader, which also have a paid cloud service that sync your annotations and even notes with Internet and other of you devices.

Try this one, I'm sure you will love it. 

http://reading.mantano.com/

Sorry, I didn't see that you specifically want not to be able to edit the notes.

One way would be to have another evernote account that you could share with yourself (not a preium account).

This way, the Evernote notes won't be editable.

You just have to share the text by mail to the Evernote Mail adress, and it will be shared with your daily Evernote account.

This is just an idea 

Not an 'app' as such,  but all Android phones allow you to screen shot the display - I presume the same applies to tablets.  Have a look at your users manual.

Is there an app that's made specifically for what I need?

Sorry, I didn't see that you specifically want not to be able to edit the notes.

One way would be to have another evernote account that you could share with yourself (not a preium account).

This way, the Evernote notes won't be editable.

You just have to share the text by mail to the Evernote Mail adress, and it will be shared with your daily Evernote account.

This is just an idea 

I'm already sharing an Evernote notebook and it's set to 'read only' so I can't edit the quotes for my Sony E-Book Reader. However, I want to be able to not edit the quotes before they're uploaded to Evernote. This is why I'm planning on using screenshots of the text so that they can't be edited.

Excuse me if I don't understand, but I think what you need is someting I use everyday : use whatever ebook reader, and select a text, and clic "share" to Evernote and voilà.

I like Cool Reader (free) or even better Mantano Reader, which also have a paid cloud service that sync your annotations and even notes with Internet and other of you devices.

Try this one, I'm sure you will love it. 

http://reading.mantano.com/

Hey brother, thanks for your reply. I'm already using Mantano and while it seems to work alright, I've had a couple issues with it and I thought I could try another PDF reading app.

Archived