security issue: (someone?) changed my email?

I've sent a message to the support team, but for reasons beyond the scope of this email, I'm a bit concerned so asking here as well.

Evernote is always ON on my computer (I'm the only one with access to it), and on my phone (needs a pin number to unlock).

Today, I had to look into my account settings to remember my account name, etc, and noticed that my email had changed to an email I would have never dreamed of on my own, and a somewhat derogatory email handle on top of that... I changed it back to my real email, but how the hell did this happen?

I've sent a message to the support team, but for reasons beyond the scope of this email, I'm a bit concerned so asking here as well.

Evernote is always ON on my computer (I'm the only one with access to it), and on my phone (needs a pin number to unlock).

Today, I had to look into my account settings to remember my account name, etc, and noticed that my email had changed to an email I would have never dreamed of on my own, and a somewhat derogatory email handle on top of that... I changed it back to my real email, but how the hell did this happen?

I'd guess that someone with your login & password changed it. Or someone you let use your computer or phone, eventhough you say your're the only one.

BTW, you don't contact support via email. You need to submit a support ticket. (See my sig).

• Level 5*

Without more details I don't have any ideas,  but more details would compromise your security..  I think this is something best left to the Support guys.  They may be able to tell you when (and if) things changed,  though if the details have altered they'll probably tell you it was you that did it..

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get an answer to this or figure it out? I wondered if you picked up a virus or keylogger and someone then gained access to the evernote account and changed it, hoping to gain something more by doing that.

Safest bet may be to also change your password since something like that happened and you don't know how.

Hi! Thanks for writing and sorry I didn't get back sooner. My computer was sick and spent the last couple of days at the mac clinic. All better now.

So, couple of things: 

Evernote has not been very helpful. I'm not sure if the person helping me is a robot or not, but basically, he/they tell me I could pay to have them check who has accessed my account beyond November, and as far as they are concerned, they don't see anything suspicious. 

With Evernote's nonchalant attitude, I was really starting to believe that somehow, someway, in some strange series of coincidences, I just happened to have my Evernote login/email screen/field on my phone, and somehow, someway, the word "plague" just happened to be in my phone's memory and somehow someway got pasted into my email name. Unbelievable? Absolutely, but like I said, they didn't seem overly concerned, so the whole thing was starting to phase out of my memory...

... until last night, when I was driving with a friend who has worked in computer security. I told him the whole story, how my email (myfirstlastname@gmail...) got changed to <firstnamebaplague@gmail...> (get it? "... be a plague" -- my last name starts with "ba"). He was much more concerned, and said the word "plague" reeked of hacker culture.

I googled "Evernote hack" (guess I should have done this a while ago) and lo and behold... I see that Evernote was hacked into last year in March, and forced a password reset. I don't remember when was the last time I reset my password (I know I did in the last couple of years), and don't remember getting the email. [edit: I may have. I had slightly modified Evernote's password from its original password; maybe I got the email and reset the password? I really don't know and can't remember] I'm a bit disappointed that given last year's breach, Evernote hasn't made any effort to be more helpful.

Short story is that I've changed my passwords, on everything. 

• Level 5*

Hi! Thanks for writing and sorry I didn't get back sooner. My computer was sick and spent the last couple of days at the mac clinic. All better now.

So, couple of things: 

Evernote has not been very helpful. I'm not sure if the person helping me is a robot or not, but basically, he/they tell me I could pay to have them check who has accessed my account beyond November, and as far as they are concerned, they don't see anything suspicious. 

With Evernote's nonchalant attitude, I was really starting to believe that somehow, someway, in some strange series of coincidences, I just happened to have my Evernote login/email screen/field on my phone, and somehow, someway, the word "plague" just happened to be in my phone's memory and somehow someway got pasted into my email name. Unbelievable? Absolutely, but like I said, they didn't seem overly concerned, so the whole thing was starting to phase out of my memory...

... until last night, when I was driving with a friend who has worked in computer security. I told him the whole story, how my email (myfirstlastname@gmail...) got changed to <firstnamebaplague@gmail...> (get it? "... be a plague" -- my last name starts with "ba"). He was much more concerned, and said the word "plague" reeked of hacker culture.

I googled "Evernote hack" (guess I should have done this a while ago) and lo and behold... I see that Evernote was hacked into last year in March, and forced a password reset. I don't remember when was the last time I reset my password (I know I did in the last couple of years), and don't remember getting the email. [edit: I may have. I had slightly modified Evernote's password from its original password; maybe I got the email and reset the password? I really don't know and can't remember] I'm a bit disappointed that given last year's breach, Evernote hasn't made any effort to be more helpful.

Short story is that I've changed my passwords, on everything. 

Hi. Sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the help you received. I guess I am still unclear about where you stand with your account right now -- have you managed to change the email address back to yours and reset your password?

Changing your passwords on everything is a good idea. Here is my advice on security, passwords, and staying secure in general.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288

It's probably not 100% secure (nothing really is), but it might give you some ideas about how to protect yourself in the future. Remember that Evernote now has two-factor authentication, so you can gain a little extra security with that as well. 

Archived