Suggestion: Return to Previous Note Link

Tawmiswithaw

Idea

Hello internet world,

I just started using the 'link' function to link notes together. It is great.

The way I use it is I have a list of items I need to do, and then link each item to a separate note card so that my 'to do' list does not become massive. I've even gone to another level to link an individual item to a separate note that will give more details on an item in an item.

Now, if you are using the full window, there is a 'back' arrow in the top left corner to return to the previous note. However, if you float individual note cards, then you cannot take advantage of that button.

I have found away around that by creating a link within the note card and naming it 'Go Back', but it would be great if there was a button to go back in the note cards when you float them.

Keep up the good work.

Tawmis.

11 replies to this idea

You can use Cmd-] and Cmd-[ to go forward and back or select Forward and Back from the View menu.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure if you use this hot-key combo or not frequently, but it is not the most intuitive.

It could also have to do with the fact that I'm not an avid 'hot key user'. I will try it for awhile to see if it becomes second nature, but I hope that my suggestion will not be disregarded.

Thomas.

The lack of back and forward buttons in standalone notes - which have been gone since the introduction of version 5 - is indeed a bit of usability problem. Especially if you're not using an English keyboard.

If there is no [ and ] keys depicted on your keyboard the shortcuts will be ⌘⌥8 and ⌘⌥9 respectively. Awkward. But it's even worse: ⌘⌥8 is already assigned to toggle OS Xs zoom function, so you'll either have to disable zoom entirely or assign some other shortcuts to back and forward via System Settings.

I reckon this is an unfortunate oversight from the developers. This much tinkering should not be necessary. Suggestion: Why not use the arrow keys in combination with a modifier key instead?

• Level 5

I reckon this is an unfortunate oversight from the developers. This much tinkering should not be necessary. Suggestion: Why not use the arrow keys in combination with a modifier key instead?

I have no first hand knowledge of why these shortcuts were chosen, but I can only assume it was so as not to confuse people used to the Forward and Back shortcuts in Finder and in every web browser. 

I have no first hand knowledge of why these shortcuts were chosen, but I can only assume it was so as not to confuse people used to the Forward and Back shortcuts in Finder and in every web browser. 

That does not make any sense. In contrary: That would be a very good reason to use the same shortcuts. Just as ⌘F and ⌘⌥F in Evernote are equivalent to what they do in a browser.

• Level 5

That would be a very good reason to use the same shortcuts. Just as ⌘F and ⌘⌥F in Evernote are equivalent to what they do in a browser.

Cmd-] and Cmd-[ are the same shortcuts as used in browsers. That was my point.

That would be a very good reason to use the same shortcuts. Just as ⌘F and ⌘⌥F in Evernote are equivalent to what they do in a browser.

Cmd-] and Cmd-[ are the same shortcuts as used in browsers. That was my point.

Ah. I did misunderstand your point. 

However, it doesn't change much. Those are not the default shortcuts on non-English systems (except for Chromiums). Firefox and Safari does something else.  Hence the argument that they were chosen to match with how you do back and forward in a web browser does not make sense as they all do it differently. (It is also not the shortcuts used in Finder).

Either way, the problem remains: Anyone not using an English keyboard has a problem.

• Level 5

Those are not the default shortcuts on non-English systems.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I didn’t realize it was possible to have localized keyboard shortcuts.

I’ve filed in an internal ticket for the handful of languages where Safari doesn’t use Cmd-[ and Cmd-]

Archived