(Archived) Request: Add option for disabling Outlook integration

DJones69

Greetings,

One feature that I would absolutely love to see is an option to disable Evernote Outlook integration during an install/upgrade. I prefer not use this feature and it would be polite of the installer to ask or at least give me the option of controlling this feature. Forcing me to shutdown Outlook without an explanation is also quite annoying.

Thanks.

Greetings,

One feature that I would absolutely love to see is an option to disable Evernote Outlook integration during an install/upgrade. I prefer not use this feature and it would be polite of the installer to ask or at least give me the option of controlling this feature. Forcing me to shutdown Outlook without an explanation is also quite annoying.

Thanks.

It's really, really easy to not use it.

Greetings,

Thanks.

It's really, really easy to not use it.

You're missing my point.

Normally when I install software, I'm given two options: Typical or Custom. The "Custom" option gives me the level of control to choose which features of the install that I don't want. For example, I don't want Outlook Integration, therefore I should be able to disable it. Currently, whenever I upgrade Evernote, I'm forced to shutdown Outlook, even if I've disabled the plug-in in Outlook.

I realize this is a trivial request, but I find it annoying, especially since so many other software installers do this already. But these little things affect my Evernote experience (don't get me started on tabs).

You're missing my point.

No, I'm not. But you are missing mine...

I realize this is a trivial request,

It's fine to make feature requests. But you also may receive replies from those who have an opposing view. This is applicable only when installing. If you forget & it gets installed, it's really, really easy to not use it. It doesn't affect the daily use of the app, like other things would. So I would rather EN resources be focused in something else, since (IMO), this is a very minor thing & doesn't affect daily use.

You're missing my point.

No, I'm not. But you are missing mine...

I realize this is a trivial request,

It's fine to make feature requests. But you also may receive replies from those who have an opposing view. This is applicable only when installing. If you forget & it gets installed, it's really, really easy to not use it. It doesn't affect the daily use of the app, like other things would. So I would rather EN resources be focused in something else, since (IMO), this is a very minor thing & doesn't affect daily use.

I agree that it should get less priority than features that affect day to day use. Nonetheless, I still wanted to voice that this an annoyance and unidiomatic of software installers. Installer modification usually isn't a task that requires a lot of resources either. If it is, well, Evernote has bigger problems.

I get that it's "really, really easy not to use", but it's still an issue worth reporting. I'd also like to hear arguments against having a customization step.

• Level 5*

I agree that it should get less priority than features that affect day to day use. Nonetheless, I still wanted to voice that this an annoyance and unidiomatic of software installers. Installer modification usually isn't a task that requires a lot of resources either. If it is, well, Evernote has bigger problems.

Not an argument either for or against on this issue, but installers can be quite labor intensive in the Microsoft world, depending on how you go about it and your product's requirements. A couple of companies ago (not naming names), we had two engineers pretty much full time doing installations for a small number of products / variants. The installer technology was InstallShield, if I recall correctly. It's important to get it right (it's your product's first impression), but finicky work, unfun, and pretty thankless, too. I was glad that I didn't have to do it, but every developer needed to touch on it in one way or another, due to the application's architecture (DLL heavy,so lots of separate components).

Your problem is worth reporting, for sure, but you may not get answers from Evernote here about their design decisions.

Archived