Decryption password suddenly stopped working

I have a variety of very important information and passwords encrypted in my Evernote account. The decryption password is no longer working on my desktop, but it worked earlier on my laptop and it works on the web version. I am not mistyping it. What is going on?

I have a variety of very important information and passwords encrypted in my Evernote account. The decryption password is no longer working on my desktop, but it worked earlier on my laptop and it works on the web version. I am not mistyping it. What is going on?

The password is case sensitive. Are you sure you're typing it in the correct case?

Are you able to decrypt this exact text in this exact note in the web client or on your laptop? IOW, perhaps you used a different password when encrypting this text than you used when encrypting some other text that you were able to decrypt earlier?

The password is case sensitive. Are you sure you're typing it in the correct case?

Are you able to decrypt this exact text in this exact note in the web client or on your laptop? IOW, perhaps you used a different password when encrypting this text than you used when encrypting some other text that you were able to decrypt earlier?

I'm positive that I'm typing it in the correct case. The decryption password for the exact note in question works on the web client and on my laptop, but not on my desktop anymore.

• Level 5*

If the password handling process has been corrupted somehow,  simply reinstalling Evernote might be the key (sorry for the pun).

Alternatively you could try rebuilding the desktop database file from the server - export any unsynced / local files to ENEX,  exit Evernote completely,  backup the whole database and then rename the EXB file,  re-log in.  Wait for the server to rebuild you. Re-import notes as necessary,  and re-backup the database when complete.  Can take anywhere from a few minutes to a day or more depending on the number of notes.  (There are more detailed instructions for specific OS's in the forums if you need them).

• Level 5*

OK - sorry to hear that.  If you've not already done so then I can only suggest raising a support ticket - something is clearly not right,  but you should now have 'renewed' everything related to Evernote on your system.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2016 at 9:30 PM, Jagadeesh K said:

I am also having the same issue. This is really bad.

How can I raise a suport ticket.

@Jagadeesh K There are some good suggestions above, i.e. reinstall. If you're still unable to decrypt your note content please open a Support ticket here and we'll have someone take a look. 

Archived