Evernote Android Offline notebook location

I just got an android tablet and installed Evernote on it. This tablet does not have Cellular data, so I'm stuck with Wifi. Because of this I download my important folders so I can use them when I do not have access to Wifi.

However, my tablet does not have much storage space. I use a much larger memory Card to spplement the lack of storage. My question is this: where does evernote save the Offline notebooks on an Android device? Is it possible to move this location to the external memory Card? I have a lot of information in Evernote, and I do not want it to take up my entire Storage Space on my tablet.

Thank You for your time.

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  You'll have to manage the data that you store somehow - some versions of Android can't use an external memory card for anything other than music or video;  the latest (I'm on 4.3) can.  Use a separate notebook if you need to cut down on storage - move notes to which you need to have access into that notebook and make that an 'offline' notebook on the tablet.

So, I'm new to both android and offline notbooks. I'm running android 4.2.2 if that matters. How do I find the offline notebook location and then move it? I have a app called "my files" that lets me move folders, but where are the offline notebooks and where on the memory card do I put them? I am very confused with the entire process. Does evernote have a standard file save location for offline notebooks that I can find? If I find the location and move the folders, would evernote recognize them still and would I be able to access the folders within the evernote app?

I know that on a computer, if you just move a folder you would need to redirect evernote to the new location to get it to recognize the folders?

Any help you can provide would be very appriciated. Thank you.

• Level 5*

As best I can tell, Evernote stores its data for a particular account in the directory /sdcard/Android/data/com.evernote/files/user-<some number>/ (there's a set of files and directories under this that hold the note databases). Son't let the "sdcard" name fool you; this is where I found the data on my Nexus 7, which has no external SD card. As far as I know, there's no way in the Evernote Android UI to change this location to another device / directory. I believe that if you do move them, Evernote will not find them. There may be some tricksy way of relocating then and pointing to the new locations using symbolic links (I think that that's what they call them), but that's way past my expertise with Android. This subject has been discussed before in these forums; this topic might be of interest, as it includes input from Evernote employees: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/19168-selectable-offline-folder-path/. It's a longish thread, but the upshot is that there is no officially supported way to put your note data on an external card.'

In my case, I just designate a subset of my notebooks as offline, for example, I don't need my software development notebook on my phone and Nexus 7, since I don't do programming on those devices.

Thank you for the reply. That totally stinks, however. I bought a 64 gig card so that I can transfer my entire library of documents, music, etc. over to my tablet and not need my computer as much. I was hoping my tablet could to some degree replace my computer, but when it comes to Evernote at least, that will not be possible. This is a serious drawback that could very well influence my decision to renew my premium membership. 

Thanks again. 

right now the 3 apps i have currently installed and read/write data to external sd card are:

Adarian (financial software)

Outliner (outlines)

Dropsync (2-way syncing with Dropbox

now maybe there is more to it than first glance, but these 3 apps work great with their data on my sd card.  but i'm not a S/W expert so maybe there's more to it..

• Level 5*

No software expert here either,  so I guess we'll just have to wait for Evernote and or Android to figure out their options.  I was told at one stage that Google took the view that 16GB phones had "enough storage" for any rational number of apps and their data,  so didn't seek to build in the outwards compatibility to use additional storage.  Means those of us with big databases have to use the additional notebook method to store some relevant notes on the mobile device.  It's also true that you sometimes can't tell in advance to what notes you'll need to have access,  so having them all on tap is a time saver (and could be a face-saver).

Watch this space for more... 

Archived