(Archived) Evernote for Windows 5.2.0 Beta 3 - Help us improve Sync

dlu

Hello folks!

We have a new beta for 5.2.0 but this beta is a bit different from your regularly scheduled programming. Our current sync engine has served a very long and useful life, but it was never designed to most of what we ask it to do. We're both very surprised and grateful that it has lasted even this long.

For a good long while now, we've been working hard at making sync a faster and more magical on the Windows client. I use the term "we" rather loosely because I haven't really been doing any of the hard work.

Sync should be faster while keeping the app responsive. The client should lockup less while sync is running. These improvements also lay down a lot of the infrastructure for future optimizations that were previously out of reach.

We have been using this internally and now we are asking for our beloved users for some help. This beta is not going to show up as an update, you can download it here. As always, you should backup important information on a regular basis.

Known issues:

- Some joined notebooks do not sync properly

- Evernote Business users are unable to create new business notebooks

If you find an issue, listing the steps that trigger it are very useful. It is also good to note when is the last time you sync'd, what version of Evernote you were running before you upgraded and what your internet connection is like (high-speed, over VPN, etc).

If you're comfortable sending over Activity Logs, please PM me.

Thanks everyone!

Hello folks!

We have a new beta for 5.2.0 but this beta is a bit different from your regularly scheduled programming. Our current sync engine has served a very long and useful life, but it was never designed to most of what we ask it to do. We're both very surprised and grateful that it has lasted even this long.

For a good long while now, we've been working hard at making sync a faster and more magical on the Windows client. I use the term "we" rather loosely because I haven't really been doing any of the hard work.

Sync should be faster while keeping the app responsive. The client should lockup less while sync is running. These improvements also also lays down a lot of the infrastructure for future optimizations that were previously out of reach.

We have been using this internally and now we are asking for our beloved users for some help. This beta is not going to show up as an update, you can download it here. As always, you should backup important information on a regular basis.

Known issues:

- Some joined notebooks do not sync properly

- Evernote Business users are unable to create new business notebooks

If you find an issue, listing the steps that trigger it are very useful. It is also good to note when is the last time you sync'd, what version of Evernote you were running before you upgraded and what your internet connection is like (high-speed, over VPN, etc).

If you're comfortable sending over Activity Logs, please PM me.

Thanks everyone!

I couldn't sync, it 'says' can't sync due to unexpected action on client side. Then I uninstalled everything and tried once more but it was the same. I went back to 2637 version.

Wow, sync is much faster now! I can definitely see an improvement.

Looking at the log, I do see something that is probably something to note.

11:47:58 [45604] 0% Creating server notebook "Unsynced Notes"11:47:59 [45604] 0% * guid={034ca60c-62ea-4766-bf01-20d4ca09bfbb}11:47:59 [45604] 0% * updateCount: 24580 --> 24581 (1)11:47:59 [45604] 25% Creating server notebook "Imported Notes"11:48:00 [45604] 25% * guid={f37be573-f79e-470c-a158-8d13cd7428f6}11:48:00 [45604] 25% * updateCount: 24581 --> 24582 (1)11:48:00 [45604] 50% Creating server notebook "Conflicting Changes"11:48:01 [45604] 50% * guid={f2c0e93c-57ef-4897-9272-c69bfdc14abc}11:48:01 [45604] 50% * updateCount: 24582 --> 24583 (1)

These are all normal Evernote Local notebooks, that seem to be converted to synced. Their status doesn't appear to have changed Within the windows client, but they do appear in the Web client:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/cffed933-b54c-4dda-8c65-85656faa8c56/c35c2c4bbb461d35414ddcfa43b5ead9

It does seem that the notes haven't been uploaded though, I don't think. So there is that. Will do some more testin with local notebooks.

Scott

EDIT: So far as I can tell, the notebook is created, but notes are not synced:

12:13:53 [187128] 0% Creating server notebook "LocalTest"12:13:54 [187128] 0% * guid={e82cf562-d7c4-4912-981c-83e2641f5a7f}12:13:54 [187128] 0% * updateCount: 24624 --> 24625 (1)

The notes don't show in the log, or online.

• Level 5

Wow, sync is much faster now! I can definitely see an improvement.

Looking at the log, I do see something that is probably something to note.

11:47:58 [45604] 0% Creating server notebook "Unsynced Notes"11:47:59 [45604] 0% * guid={034ca60c-62ea-4766-bf01-20d4ca09bfbb}11:47:59 [45604] 0% * updateCount: 24580 --> 24581 (1)11:47:59 [45604] 25% Creating server notebook "Imported Notes"11:48:00 [45604] 25% * guid={f37be573-f79e-470c-a158-8d13cd7428f6}11:48:00 [45604] 25% * updateCount: 24581 --> 24582 (1)11:48:00 [45604] 50% Creating server notebook "Conflicting Changes"11:48:01 [45604] 50% * guid={f2c0e93c-57ef-4897-9272-c69bfdc14abc}11:48:01 [45604] 50% * updateCount: 24582 --> 24583 (1)

These are all normal Evernote Local notebooks, that seem to be converted to synced. Their status doesn't appear to have changed Within the windows client, but they do appear in the Web client:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/cffed933-b54c-4dda-8c65-85656faa8c56/c35c2c4bbb461d35414ddcfa43b5ead9

It does seem that the notes haven't been uploaded though, I don't think. So there is that. Will do some more testin with local notebooks.

Scott

EDIT: So far as I can tell, the notebook is created, but notes are not synced:

12:13:53 [187128] 0% Creating server notebook "LocalTest"12:13:54 [187128] 0% * guid={e82cf562-d7c4-4912-981c-83e2641f5a7f}12:13:54 [187128] 0% * updateCount: 24624 --> 24625 (1)

The notes don't show in the log, or online.

Hi Scott,

Confirmed and fixed. Thank you for reporting!

BUG: 5.2.0b3 creates local notebooks on the service without uploading any notes in those local notebooks. However watch out: if you delete this notebook on the server your local notebook will be deleted too. If you need to preserve contents of those local notebooks it's best to create new local notebook and copy notes over -- after we release an update that fixes this issue.

• Level 5*

We have a fix for the bug reported above. I've updated the link in the original post, it is also available here: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.2.0.2715.exe

So, does this fix delete any notebooks on the server?

Have we finally lost the synchronization/download of advertisements (Premium)?? This is a big step forward if it is true.

Thanks for the quick fix guys :)

It appears to work as expected now, new local notebooks that I create are not created on the server.

We have a fix for the bug reported above. I've updated the link in the original post, it is also available here: http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.2.0.2715.exe

So, does this fix delete any notebooks on the server?
No:

However watch out: if you delete this notebook on the server your local notebook will be deleted too. If you need to preserve contents of those local notebooks it's best to create new local notebook and copy notes over -- after we release an update that fixes this issue.

• Level 5*

Thanks, Scott. Because the update was after the original post, I wondered if the latest release did fix the previous creation of "empty" notebooks on the server. I think it will be important to have this fixed before it this beta becomes available through the automatic update process!

It doesn't create them anymore, but it wont delete them either if you did use that version and have them created.

As far as the server is concerned they were new notebooks, and Evernote wont delete notebooks without user interaction so I believe that they will have to be deleted manually.

So, the issue is fixed, but the result has to be fixed by the user. So I am now moving my notes out of those notebooks (for me, not a big deal, they were mostly irrelevant, but if you used it and had big local notebooks, it could be an issue) and deleting them from the server.

Hi, I am not sure if this is a bug or my misunderstanding of how things are supposed to work.

1. While searching through the forums I came across the Template Contest notebook. I subscribed to it (or whatever the correct term is).

2. On the web client the notebook now appears in a Joined Notebooks section. Choosing it opens it in a new tab.

3. On the Windows client 5.2.0.2715 a new folder called Template Contest now appears in the list of notebooks, but clicking on it tells me that "No notes were found".

Should I have access to joined notebooks in the Windows client?

• Level 5*

It doesn't create them anymore, but it wont delete them either if you did use that version and have them created.

As far as the server is concerned they were new notebooks, and Evernote wont delete notebooks without user interaction so I believe that they will have to be deleted manually.

So, the issue is fixed, but the result has to be fixed by the user. So I am now moving my notes out of those notebooks (for me, not a big deal, they were mostly irrelevant, but if you used it and had big local notebooks, it could be an issue) and deleting them from the server.

I had one notebook that was rather large - I moved everything to a new local notebook, deleted the empty one and synchronized (I don't recall if I deleted on both the desktop and the server). Both are gone. Renamed the "new" notebooks to the old names and resynched - no notebook on the server. So, it is a relatively easy fix - it took some time, though, while I ate lunch, etc.

• Level 5*

Sync is snappy so far for me! Maybe I missed it somewhere, but this version (and possibly earlier versions, I'm not sure) seems to have removed tags used by others in Shared Notebooks? They used to clog up the sidebar but now they're all gone. I'm happy to see them poof, just curious when it happened.

Type ahead is definitely freezing for me. I am also still getting other freezes that occur, for example, when I try to drag a note from one notebook to another.

I have previously thought that this is the "Not responding" bug, and opened a ticket about this. Perhaps it is something else? Whatever it is, it is making it genuinely so difficult to use the Windows app on my Windows 8.1 laptop that I have switched to using the website in Chrome for most of my daily use.

I do not like this :)

Owen

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure what this post is about regarding problems with syncing BUT... I just added my Premium account to another Win machine in my home and I do NOT see ANY sync button at all? I tried to clip something and it told me I had to sync first but cannot find where/how to do that...???

"When I downloaded Evernote just now it said Evernote 5.

HELP??

I am not sure what this post is about regarding problems with syncing BUT... I just added my Premium account to another Win machine in my home and I do NOT see ANY sync button at all? I tried to clip something and it told me I had to sync first but cannot find where/how to do that...???

"When I downloaded Evernote just now it said Evernote 5.

HELP??

Can you post a screenshot of what you do see? (If you use Skitch, you can blur our any sensitive information)

Archived