Auto Save didn't save changes

kenandkimm

I went into my evernote account on my laptop and spent 2 hours writing and updating a note full of a button list with over one hundred items. The save feature "saved" after every entry (the green swirl went around and then it said "save" after each one).  After I was finished I closed the browser and went back into my account and all of my changes were gone. Only the original note was there.

I did a google search and found someone had the exact same issue yesterday.  Of course, now I am gun sly to use Evernote.  

Any advice?

• Level 5*

Some browsers get lazy and instead of downloading a page you looked at before,  they'll just grab a copy of that page from a local cache that shows how the page looked when you last downloaded it.  Don't know if that could be the case here,  but try holding Shift and reloading the page when you look at the note..

And please submit a support ticket (see below).  If a reload doesn't work,  the support team may be able to suggest something else...

• 1 year later...

This is maddening. I spent an hour typing some changes in an evernote in a separate window. I waited for it to Auto-save and then closed the window. When I opened it back up (tried on my phone app as well), only a couple changes were there. Grr. Going to Copy all text next time till I'm sure the Note Took.

Hi LoveWins,

(Cool username. ☺)

First, I'd like clarify something not just for you, but also for anyone that happens across this post...

When you Sync, it is to and from the Evernote (EN) Servers, not from one device to another. It is never a good idea to rely solely on the auto sync with any cloud service that you are not working directly in the web application. (Which is actually working directly with the servers, so is continuously synced.) Even a tiny blip in your internet connection that's fast you don't even realize you lost the connection for a moment or two, can mess up a Sync.

That said, below is a copy of a post I recently made in a similar thread. You might call it the "Best Practices" for ensuring the most up-to-date versions of your Notes are successfully synced to EN Servers:

Your Syncing UP to the Evernote Servers when creating or editing Notes, as in uploading the data. When you want to view and edit existing Notes, you are calling them DOWN from the Servers, as in downloading the last successfully Synced version to your device (client). So...

In addition to the scheduled Syncs you can alter from the default in your app Settings on each Client, it is strongly recommended that:

* The very first thing you should do when opening EN from any Client, is to manually Sync down the latest version of your EN database.

NOTE that on mobile devices, it will only download the Headers, which consist of Note titles and a small amount of the note content. Once you click on an existing Note, it will download the entire contents of *that* Note. It's virtually instantaneous so you shouldn't notice any real lag time.

* The very last thing you should do before exiting EN on any device, each and every time, is to manually Sync again. (Upload.)

This will save any newly created and edited content to the EN Servers.

* Note the Save function, if available on the Clients you use, is NOT the same as Syncing. The Save feature just to temporarily save the content your working on. For example, I find it handy when working in EN from my Android phone - such as making a note to myself - especially if I'm out and don't have access to Wi-Fi. (Assuming you have ample storage space, I mean.)

This is maddening. I spent an hour typing some changes in an evernote in a separate window. I waited for it to Auto-save and then closed the window. When I opened it back up (tried on my phone app as well), only a couple changes were there. Grr. Going to Copy all text next time till I'm sure the Note Took.

• Level 5*

In general,  and under normal circumstances,  Evernote doesn't 'lose' data - what usually causes the problems are bad connections,  double log-ins and the occasional bad choice of exiting before syncing,  or fat-fingering the wrong button at the wrong time.  

If you have problems,  it's worth trying to nail down the exact situation in which the losses occur because someone can usually help to reduce the risk and maybe avoid recurrences.

Having said which;  you can't work in such a way that you accidentally lose content for whatever reason.  If Evernote isn't working out for you,  it makes sense to try something else until you find an option that minimises or removes the issue.

• 1 year later...

seemed to be a great program, until it stopped saving data. 

after working for several hours in Evernote I return to find that not a single change had been saved to my document. 

I watched the sync icon indicate that syncing had occurred on several occasions, yet not one single letter had been saved.

It seems that a functional auto-save feature might be worth investing in, as many programs have done. 

i'm assuming that all of my hard work is now lost in the ether, and i'm still not sure why.

unless you, Evernote, have it saved in some data bank and can amend this grievous error, I am afraid that I must send Evernote to the bad app graveyard that is my recycle bin.

farewell

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, pfinley27 said:

I watched the sync icon indicate that syncing had occurred on several occasions, yet not one single letter had been saved.

If there was a sync, something must have been uploaded to the servers

Have you used the web platform (www.evernote.com) to view your notes?

• 4 months later...

This has happened to me so many times I cant count. there is NO security in saving notes. It happens 3 out of 4 times. I enter a note into my evernote/ Iphone app. Go look for it. and NO NOTE! I have just tried saving a note 4 times into my phone app. It did not work. Am I doing something wrong? I am clicking on "save" at upper right corner on app screen. Nothing?

• Level 5*
On 2017-06-11 at 1:47 PM, Tnsuttles said:

I am clicking on "save" at upper right corner on app screen.

What version are you running; I don't have "save" at the upper right corner of the app screenIMG_0279.PNG.81bb70417217b527b7b57944a3e362fa.PNG

Archived