[feature request] Use Different Mode to Limit Search Scope

Thunder

Idea

It would be better if we can have different modes for searches. 

For example, I can have public/private mode. I configure some notebooks as private. When I present things to my friends in front of the screen, the search is in public mode. So I do not have to worry about showing up some embarrassing notes. When I'm alone and want to find private things, I key in a password and switch the mode.

Not sure whether this is doable in alternative ways or whether this is a repeating feature request. Please comment. Thanks.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Have you considered using Tags for this purpose?  You could have two tags: (1) Public, (2) Private

Apply one of them to each note.

Then, for your public searches, always include this as part of the Search Expression:  "Tag:Public"

• Level 5*

It's not hard to get yourself another account. Keep your private stuff in one account, and your public stuff in another. Use sharing if you want notes in one account to be visible in your other account, or vice versa.

thanks for alternatives from @JMichael @jefito  . 

For the tag way proposed by @JMichael , I find it too verbose to tag every public note. Either of the two new features could make this better, and a practical scheme:

* Allow exclude tags in search. In this way, we only need to tag private notes. Supposingly, there are fewer number of private notes.

* Allow tag a whole notebook, not single note.

@jefito 's method works great using current available tools. I'll basically maintain a public and a private account. 

There are still problems about two accounts.

Basically, I need to maintain same structure. e.g. I have private/public notes for all categories, "work", "life", ... 

Furthermore, I need to pre-determine where a notes go. A note can be initially public. After putting in more and more things, I may no longer want it to pop up in front of other people. It would be easier with a switch (or tag like things), than moving from account to account.

• Level 5

* Allow exclude tags in search. In this way, we only need to tag private notes. Supposingly, there are fewer number of private notes.

* Allow tag a whole notebook, not single note.

You can exclude tags in search. If you tag your private notes with "private",  use the following to exclude them

-tag:private

A notebook cannot be tagged, but you can select it with the following search term

notebook:public

I also use multiple Evernote accounts, but keep in mind there is some overhead involved. They cannot be used at the same time. You have to sync and close one before opening another account.

• Level 5

There are still problems about two accounts.

Basically, I need to maintain same structure. e.g. I have private/public notes for all categories, "work", "life", ... 

I prefer to separate these topics using notebooks.

But an even stronger separation could be achieved using Stacks

Public-Stack - containing notebooks and notes that you consider public

Private-Stack - - containing notebooks and notes that you consider private

It is very easy to move a note from a public notebook to a private notebook.

And for the ultimate private notebook, consider a local unsync'd notebook. That is not visible on your mobile or cloud.

Archived