(Archived) Fastest way to capture an internet pic into a note?

Chris1984

Let's say I'm typing a note manually in Evernote.  It's a new note, and I'm typing away, maybe a paragraph or two.  Then I see a picture on some webpage, it's a small picture, perhaps 100 pixels by 100 pixels, and I want to take that picture from that webpage and insert it at the bottom of the note that I am typing. 

What is the fastest way to do this?

Thanks,

Chris1984

Let's say I'm typing a note manually in Evernote.  It's a new note, and I'm typing away, maybe a paragraph or two.  Then I see a picture on some webpage, it's a small picture, perhaps 100 pixels by 100 pixels, and I want to take that picture from that webpage and insert it at the bottom of the note that I am typing. 

What is the fastest way to do this?

Thanks,

Chris1984

I use the EN screen cap. When holding down the CTRL button when taking the screen cap, it goes to the clipboard. Then go to the point in the note where you want it & paste.

• Level 5*

Windows XP, 7 and 8 all have a 'snipping tool' built-in which will capture a screen shot or a selection and save it if required.  I use that and XnView to resize/ recrop as necessary.  Or there's Skitch which does the same plus annotations.

• Level 5

Windows XP, 7 and 8 all have a 'snipping tool' built-in which will capture a screen shot or a selection and save it if required.  I use that and XnView to resize/ recrop as necessary.  Or there's Skitch which does the same plus annotations.

Thanks for the tip. Due to support issues with ACDsee Pro, I am looking for an alternate.

Do I need to use the IE browser to operate the program? The following statement raised some warning flags for me: "XnShell is a powerful Shell extension for Windows ™ Explorer, allowing you to preview and perform various operations within Windows explorer context menu."

Thanks JMichael and MegSaint. Your tip works great for the typical webpage picture (I guess I wasn't specific enough).
More specifically, I'd like to sometimes grab a picture that is embedded in an ad (such as a Flash ad), or perhaps

just a fraction of a picture.

I've used SnagIt for years as my "snippet-caturing tool", but it takes too many steps (in my opinion) to get that picture into Evernote:

1. Open SnagIt

2. Select "Region" to capture a region of my screen

3. Select the square region of my screen that I want to capture.

4. Save the picture to my hard drive (usually my desktop)

5. Close SnagIt

6. Drag-and-drop the picture from my desktop to Evernote

7. Go back to my desktop and delete the picture.

8. Go back to Evernote.

It's just too many steps!  lol.  I was hoping Evernote might have created some new tool by now that I wasn't aware of yet, or maybe someone else had a trick up their sleeve...?

Thanks for all the replies here.  I'm hoping a few more will come!! (???)

• Level 5*

Thanks for the tip. Due to support issues with ACDsee Pro, I am looking for an alternate.

Do I need to use the IE browser to operate the program? The following statement raised some warning flags for me: "XnShell is a powerful Shell extension for Windows ™ Explorer, allowing you to preview and perform various operations within Windows explorer context menu."

XnView opens in its own window;  the shell is an option you can avoid if you prefer - it just means XnView pops up in your file manager's (Windows Explorer's) right-click menu.  IE is not involved..

I've used SnagIt for years as my "snippet-caturing tool", but it takes too many steps (in my opinion) to get that picture into Evernote:

1. Open SnagIt

5. Close SnagIt

8. Go back to Evernote.

It's just too many steps! lol. I was hoping Evernote might have created some new tool by now that I wasn't aware of yet, or maybe someone else had a trick up their sleeve...?

Thanks for all the replies here. I'm hoping a few more will come!! (???)

See post #4.

Additionally, IME with Snagit, you don't have to DND to desktop. Just copy/paste the screen cap from Snagit editor & paste where you want it. But using the built in EN screen capture is even easier.

• Level 5*

Thanks JMichael and MegSaint. Your tip works great for the typical webpage picture (I guess I wasn't specific enough).

More specifically, I'd like to sometimes grab a picture that is embedded in an ad (such as a Flash ad), or perhaps

just a fraction of a picture.

1. Open SnagIt

5. Close SnagIt

8. Go back to Evernote.

It's just too many steps!  lol.  I was hoping Evernote might have created some new tool by now that I wasn't aware of yet, or maybe someone else had a trick up their sleeve...?

Thanks for all the replies here.  I'm hoping a few more will come!! (???)

Chris, you're welcome.

I also use SnagIT, and you can set it up to be MUCH simpler requiring only 3 steps to capture and paste into Evernote.

You need to setup SnagIT to:

• Be activated by a global hot key (I use CTRL-SHIFT-C, but you can choose any you like)
  • Auto copy the capture to clipboard

So, once you are on the web page of interest, the only steps you need are:

1. Press the SnagIT capture hotkey
  2. Draw the rectangle over the area you want to capture
  3. Switch to Evernote and paste the image

Of course, if you are not going to edit/annotate the captured image in SnagIT, then it is probably simpler to just use the Evernote screen capture.

I usually want to annotate the captured image, so I have setup SnagIT to open its Editor window immediately after capture (as well as copy to clipboard).  If I don't want to annotate the image, I simply switch to Evernote and paste the image.

BurgersNFries, thanks for the SnagIt tip.  You are right, I don't need to save it to the desktop first.  Very helpful!

As for the built-in EN screen capture tool, I guess I'm not familiar with it.  Are you referring to web clipper?  I can't use the web clipper to capture, say, a fraction of a picture.

If you are referring to something besides the web clipper, then how do you activate this so-called "EN screen capture tool"?

Thanks...

JMichael...

My version of SnagIt has only 3 hotkeys available:

1. Global Capture

2. Hide/Unhide 

3. Repeat last capture

If I choose Global Capture, it starts recording a video within the coordinates I specify.  I'm not interested in a video capture.  Am I missing something?

Thanks!

BurgersNFries, thanks for the SnagIt tip.  You are right, I don't need to save it to the desktop first.  Very helpful!

As for the built-in EN screen capture tool, I guess I'm not familiar with it.  Are you referring to web clipper?  I can't use the web clipper to capture, say, a fraction of a picture.

No, not the clipper. The screen capture. Yes, it allows a fraction of a picture, just like Snagit.

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23193568

• Level 5*
JMichael...

My version of SnagIt has only 3 hotkeys available:

1. Global Capture

2. Hide/Unhide 

3. Repeat last capture

If I choose Global Capture, it starts recording a video within the coordinates I specify.  I'm not interested in a video capture.  Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Chris, what version of SnagIT are you running?

You should definitely have setup options on the default capture that is invoked by the hot-key so that it is for IMAGE capture, not video capture.

You just need to set the appropriate Profile to be used as default.

For more info see http://download.techsmith.com/snagit/docs/onlinehelp/enu/9/default.htm?turl=snagithotkeys.htm

Archived