Cookbooks in PDF/MOBI/EPUB to Evernote?

I have about 40 cookbooks in PDF/MOBI/EPUB formats and I would like to have the information from each book in Evernote in a formal to which I can input keywords and the actual result in Evernote is a page from the cookbook I have uploaded.

The goal would be I could look up for example "lamb" and the results would be pages from all of my cookbooks where lamb is a part of the recipe.

I am thinking I need to convert each individual page to JPG format and then upload.   Is this the only solution?   In addition, if the only solution is a JPG file for each page of the book, can anyone recommend a program to automatically handle this conversion?

To me, this is the kind of second brain kind of work I am looking for from Evernote.   Many thanks for anyone that can help me turn this dream into reality!      ; )

• Level 5*

You don't say whether you're a Free or a Premium user,  and there are important differences in the size of note allowed (25MB vs 100MB) and the monthly limit for all uploads (60MB vs 1GB) - and premium users can get further extensions to the upload limit if required.  If you're not there already,  it may be worth your while going Premium for a few months while you complete this exercise.

Then,  if you have PDF files available,  all you need do is drop 1 file in each note,  add your keywords,  and allow Evernote a short time to index the content.  If you don't have a PDF version of a file,  there are lots of online resources that will translate other formats into PDF.

Shouldn't be hard...

I am premium, so that is not a problem.      If I upload only the original PDF file, when I search all notes, the note comes up the the PDF file, but I then have to open the actual PDF with an external program and then do the search again.    I'd prefer to do the search and have the actual pages show up in the results of the search.  

Are there any settings where if a note with PDF file has the text, the page of that PDF is displayed?    The only way I know to do this is with e JPG file in Evernote - so I would convert my PDF to JPG in the lowest resolution that can still be read by Evernote and then upload the pages.

Got to be a better way?

Are you using the windows client?

In the windows client you have the option to view the PDF "inline" or as an "attachment" (right-click on PDF to change view).  Use "ctrl-F" to search within the PDF when viewing it "inline". This will highlight your search term within the PDF.

I hope that helps

• Level 5*

I am premium, so that is not a problem.      If I upload only the original PDF file, when I search all notes, the note comes up the the PDF file, but I then have to open the actual PDF with an external program and then do the search again.    I'd prefer to do the search and have the actual pages show up in the results of the search.  

Are there any settings where if a note with PDF file has the text, the page of that PDF is displayed?    The only way I know to do this is with e JPG file in Evernote - so I would convert my PDF to JPG in the lowest resolution that can still be read by Evernote and then upload the pages.

Got to be a better way?

There aren't any settings to force Evernote to show the relevant page if it's not already doing so - though in my experience that happens most,  if not all of the time.  You might make life easier if you took the time to split your PDFs so there was one recipe per page - you need an editor for that,  not just Adobe reader.  Or as @Bartman001 says,  you can search within PDFs.  A useful compromise might be to store your files as complete PDFs,  then when you need to find specific recipes,  use a page clipper to store the ones you use in a seperate one clip-per-note notebook so they will be easier to find in future.

Archived