HELP! Notebook has disappeared!

Hello, I hope someone can help me. First off, I'm using Evernote for Windows 8. Today I noticed my most important notebook has disappeared. It is not in the trash, and Evernote has synced a few times already today. I don't know what to do, other than recovering my laptop but I'm not sure that will do anything. Please let me know if you think that will help, or if you have any other suggestions. Thank you.

ALSO: The notebook itself was not set up to sync.

Hello, I hope someone can help me. First off, I'm using Evernote for Windows 8. Today I noticed my most important notebook has disappeared. It is not in the trash, and Evernote has synced a few times already today. I don't know what to do, other than recovering my laptop but I'm not sure that will do anything. Please let me know if you think that will help, or if you have any other suggestions. Thank you.

Did you switch to a different computer since the last time you were able to access this local notebook?

Did you switch to a different computer since the last time you were able to access this local notebook?

No I have not. Do you think doing recovery will help?

Since local notebooks do not sync, it is the user's responsibility to make their own backups. Do you have a recent backup of your exb file?

Did you see any of the notes in the trash? I know you said you looked for the notebook in the trash, but you wouldn't see the notebook - just the notes.

I'm running Evernote on Windows 7 and applied major upgrades to Evernote (at least "multi-part and voluminous") Wednesday evening last week.  Thursday morning I went into Evernote to look something up and recent notes are missing from several synched files, and about 20 local (non-synched) notebooks are missing.  And yes, it is my responsibility to ensure local files are backed up, and I do have backup of my entire database, but before I do any restores -- of the synched files as well as the missing notebooks -- I need to understand what happened and how to prevent it from happening again.

Yes, I checked Trash and the missing entries are not there, and I opened a support ticket with Evernote and sent them my activity log.  I'm a premium account customer and 9 days later I still have not received any explanation, or assistance.

HAS ANYONE ELSE LOST DATA AND DO YOU KNOW WHY?

• Level 5*

I'm running Evernote on Windows 7 and applied major upgrades to Evernote (at least "multi-part and voluminous") Wednesday evening last week.  Thursday morning I went into Evernote to look something up and recent notes are missing from several synched files, and about 20 local (non-synched) notebooks are missing.  And yes, it is my responsibility to ensure local files are backed up, and I do have backup of my entire database, but before I do any restores -- of the synched files as well as the missing notebooks -- I need to understand what happened and how to prevent it from happening again.

Yes, I checked Trash and the missing entries are not there, and I opened a support ticket with Evernote and sent them my activity log.  I'm a premium account customer and 9 days later I still have not received any explanation, or assistance.

HAS ANYONE ELSE LOST DATA AND DO YOU KNOW WHY?

Hi. You should have received an email with a support ticket number. Did you? If so, please post it here so that we can flag this post and try to get some more Evernote staff eyes on it. 

If you did not receive a ticket number, the support ticket wasn't created. See the link in my signature to make a support ticket, and then post the number here.

Yes, I received ticket #331557.  I've been a Premium user for a long time and would have to review financial records to prove that, but I believe Evernote recognizes me as a Premium customer as I have an activity log, larger upload limits, etc.  Thank you very much for any help you can provide -- this has been a lost week.

Since local notebooks do not sync, it is the user's responsibility to make their own backups. Do you have a recent backup of your exb file?

Did you see any of the notes in the trash? I know you said you looked for the notebook in the trash, but you wouldn't see the notebook - just the notes.

No notes in the trash or I would have said so. No I didn't back it up, should have, but no. Still, Evernote shouldn't delete stuff randomly like this, regardless. Not very trustworthy. Is there a reason you ignored my recovery question? Sorry if I come off rude, this situation is making me bitter. Also, I have a ticket number too if it matters. This thread was in regards to my problem, so it better. Looking at their number and mine though, this seems to be a lost cause that'll take forever to hear back about. Colour me morose.

And yes, it is my responsibility to ensure local files are backed up, and I do have backup of my entire database

No notes in the trash or I would have said so. No I didn't back it up, should have, but no. Still, Evernote shouldn't delete stuff randomly like this, regardless. Not very trustworthy. Is there a reason you ignored my recovery question? Sorry if I come off rude, this situation is making me bitter.

If baamoolady & butidontwantone are the same user, then apparently he/she can't figure out if they have a backup or not.

Is there a reason you ignored my recovery question?

Also, I have a ticket number too if it matters. This thread was in regards to my problem, so it better.

Yeah, well I think I'm going to bow out here. Good luck.

And yes, it is my responsibility to ensure local files are backed up, and I do have backup of my entire database

No notes in the trash or I would have said so. No I didn't back it up, should have, but no. Still, Evernote shouldn't delete stuff randomly like this, regardless. Not very trustworthy. Is there a reason you ignored my recovery question? Sorry if I come off rude, this situation is making me bitter.

If baamoolady & butidontwantone are the same user, then apparently he/she can't figure out if they have a backup or not.

Also, I have a ticket number too if it matters. This thread was in regards to my problem, so it better.

we are not the same user. we have different situations. how asinine.

The thread reads like a single conversation.  The 2nd user doesn't state anything to the effect of "I have the same problem".  There are several users who have multiple accounts & sometimes log in with the different accounts.  So no, it's not asinine. 

we have different situations. how asinine.

Different situations? Really?

Today I noticed my most important notebook has disappeared. It is not in the trash, and Evernote has synced a few times already today.

(snip) 

Thursday morning I went into Evernote to look something up and recent notes are missing from several synched files, and about 20 local (non-synched) notebooks are missing.

Suggestion:  When asking other users for help, it's a good idea to not be rude to them.

I'm definitely done with this thread now.  Good luck to the both of you.

The thread reads like a single conversation.  The 2nd user doesn't state anything to the effect of "I have the same problem".  There are several users who have multiple accounts & sometimes log in with the different accounts.  So no, it's not asinine. 

we have different situations. how asinine.

Different situations? Really?

Today I noticed my most important notebook has disappeared. It is not in the trash, and Evernote has synced a few times already today.

(snip) 

Thursday morning I went into Evernote to look something up and recent notes are missing from several synched files, and about 20 local (non-synched) notebooks are missing.

Suggestion:  When asking other users for help, it's a good idea to not be rude to them.

I'm definitely done with this thread now.  Good luck to the both of you.

yes, different situations.I'm missing ONE notebook not TWENTY. they have windows 7, I have 8. so yes, asinine. especially after my post about how this thread was to address my problem, and we gave different ticket numbers. no, it does not read like one person. you need to read more apparently. it's clear you couldn't help me anyways, when you can't read properly and are easily confused. good luck with that brain of yours... maybe if you had actually answered my recovery question instead of ignoring it and getting confused foolishly I would have been polite.

I'm a long-time Evernote user, but this event  is my first time posting to this forum.  It just never occurred to me that my post could be confused with someone else's.   Yes, we are different people, but our posts do have something in common in that it appears that EN's Windows client "disappeared" some of the data in both our accounts.  That's why the first post caught my attention, because I seemed to be dealing with a very similar problem, in the same timeframe.  

And my astonishment at finding my data missing is only exceeded by my astonishment at not receiving an explanation and help from Evernote after so much time has elapsed (Monday will be the 12th day after reporting the problem.)    I can really appreciate the first poster's frustration.

• Level 5*

I'm a long-time Evernote user, but this event  is my first time posting to this forum.  It just never occurred to me that my post could be confused with someone else's.   Yes, we are different people, but our posts do have something in common in that it appears that EN's Windows client "disappeared" some of the data in both our accounts.  That's why the first post caught my attention, because I seemed to be dealing with a very similar problem, in the same timeframe.  

And my astonishment at finding my data missing is only exceeded by my astonishment at not receiving an explanation and help from Evernote after so much time has elapsed (Monday will be the 12th day after reporting the problem.)    I can really appreciate the first poster's frustration.

Support only works M-F, so I wouldn't expect anything until then.

I've found both of your tickets and have appended this thread info, as well as bumping both to the techs assigned to them. The issues are likely unrelated, as OP is Windows 8 and baamoolady, you are reporting in on Windows 7.  We're checking into both presently.

Also, in cases where you're missing an entire notebook, I would also suggest checking to see if the notebook was moved into a Stack (which would completely change where they are in your hierarchy) and, if you haven't already, try searching for notes that you knew were within those notebooks. I haven't worked with or seen any previous cases where a notebook completely disappears. The ones where I have were local notebooks, but were only related to the differences between Mac direct and app store downloads, and were still available locally on the computer.

Thank you, but no, my missing notebooks aren't in another stack.  I do use stacks, and the missing notebooks were part of a stack -- which still exists, with one notebook in it -- but the other approximately 20 are missing, as are all their notes.  (At least I've tried to search for some of the notes, and none are retrieved.)   These notebooks were such a large part of my hierarchy (visibly) that it would be hard to do any "rearranging" with them that didn't stick out like a sore thumb.  In note content, they were nowhere near my largest notebooks, but there were a lot of them, and they were very visible.

Plus, I'm also missing data (the last couple of days of notes prior to doing your software upgrade) from a synchronized notebook.   I suppose two separate events could have occurred, one affecting the synchronized notebook and one affecting the local notebooks, but that seems pretty unlikely, to me.

I don't think anyone seems to "get it":  if data can disappear without a whimper once, that can happen again.  I can restore my file to its pre-upgrade status, but I have so much information stored in Evernote, how would I be able to know, on a day-to-day basis, if it's really all still there, or not?  If I hadn't see this, and frozen my backups, I've have been unable to restore to a "full" file.

But what I really need to know now, and SOON, is whether I can expect any further assistance from Evernote on this problem, reported 13 days ago, or not.  If, realistically, "not" is the answer, then I need to move on with restoring my data -- making many copies of it -- and basically freezing the restored file until I can figure out how to move on to another tool.  I really do appreciate your help!!!

My entire system is backed up, but to help me get data back, could you tell me the specific files I should restore in order to recapture local files, and the file (I assume it may be different) to restore to recapture my notes in the damaged synchronized file?  That would really help me.

Hi there 

I have had a new Computer and when loading Evernote on to it, web based or otherwise three quarters of all my notes have disappeared. The same is showing on my iPad. Everything has always sync'd several times a day without a problem. 

I am going demented here as these notes were everything to me. The Account detail suggests that prior to the 7th February 2014 the last activity on my Evernote account was 13th November 2013 - this is so incorrect. I add to the content daily.

I have Tier 2 investigating this but I am really really concerned. Has anyone previously been in this situation and had their Notes found/Retrieved successfully ?

Ticket Numbers : 352065 - 346151 - 343927 all refer 

Thank You

Jackie Young

Hi, Jackie,

What OS are you running?  I run Windows 7, and after applying Evernote Windows upgrades in the evening, on January 29, the next morning about 25% of my data was missing.  This entailed about 20 local notebooks as well as all the daily updates I had made to synchronized notebooks from about two days before the software upgrade.  Like you, I immediately checked my iPad, my iPhone, and my online files, but unfortunately the data is gone, gone, gone.   I am likewise tearing my hair out because the data is very, very important to me. 

In my case, I have full backups and therefore should be able to restore everything, but, of course, I first want to understand what happened so I can assess the likelihood that it will happen again.  I'm only able to restore because I noticed that data was missing -- and froze my backup process so that incomplete data isn't overlaying my full backup file.  If I hadn't noticed, I'd be totally hosed.  I'm a Premium user, and 13 days after reporting this problem I have no resolution from Evernote, and at this point I'm not certain anyone is even working on it.  You certainly have my sympathy.  If a cause is found, please keep us updated as it potentially could apply to me too (if you're running under Windows), and I will do the same.  My ticket number is #331557.

baamoolady  (Jane)

• 2 years later...

Help EVERNOTE staff.  I have the same problem, where a notebook disappeared.  It is not in a stack, not in the trash, not in a conflict folder, and not a local notebook.  It is a very important notebook filled with encrypted notes.  Please help me.  I am running Evernote latest on PC win 7, Evernote latest on Mac OS X 10.10.5, iOS latest on iPhone & iPad.

• Level 5*

I'm just an Evernote user, not staff.  You'd get to staff better by opening a support ticket.

You said the notebook had disappeared.  Does that apply to the notes also?  If you do a search, will it list the notes?

• 1 month later...

Well now i have just had an entire notebook disappear completely. So it does not seem to be so rare as one of the commenters seemed to think it was. Mine was synched. and i do think it is pretty egregious that Evernote is just throwing away peoples notebooks.

• Ex Employees
On 5/19/2016 at 8:11 PM, Mark McCaskill said:

Well now i have just had an entire notebook disappear completely. So it does not seem to be so rare as one of the commenters seemed to think it was. Mine was synched. and i do think it is pretty egregious that Evernote is just throwing away peoples notebooks.

Please check Evernote Web: https://www.evernote.com/Home.action for the notebook. If the notebook is not listed online, check the trash. Are the notes from the missing notebook there?

If not, please use the link in my signature to contact Evernote Support. 

Archived