Note Numbering (sequentiell)

Mic@Evern

Idea

In order to use Evernote for eg. "bill archive purposes" it would be nice to have a sequentiell note numbering field in the "info section" of the singel note - Also a sort criteria for Numbering in note overview.

automatics

• every time a new note is added to a notebook
  • a sequentiell number is added to the note header
  • (probobly in a range start to spacify for each indivisual notebook)

where can the numbering be seen

• within the header info (mit editable)
  • in front of each note (in overview / mit editable)

edit-ability

• at a later time the number can be post-edited
  • how?
    • go to "notes overview"
    • go to "edit (new) sort by number" function
      • notes can be dragged (up, down)
      • by drag, drop handels 
    • when leaving "edit (new) sort by number"
    • the numbers are changed within notes.

This funktion easens the sequentiell numbering of notes and adds another sort criteria that can be changed manually on request (later)

14 replies to this idea

In order to use Evernote for eg. "bill archive purposes" it would be nice to have a sequentiell note numbering field in the "info section" of the singel note - Also a sort criteria for Numbering in note overview.

automatics

• every time a new note is added to a notebook
  • a sequentiell number is added to the note header
  • (probobly in a range start to spacify for each indivisual notebook)
where can the numbering be seen

• within the header info (mit editable)
  • in front of each note (in overview / mit editable)
edit-ability

• at a later time the number can be post-edited
  • how?

• go to "notes overview"
    • go to "edit (new) sort by number" function

• notes can be dragged (up, down)
    • by drag, drop handels 
  • when leaving "edit (new) sort by number"
  • the numbers are changed within notes.

This funktion easens the sequentiell numbering of notes and adds another sort criteria that can be changed manually on request (later)

I don't see how a sequential number would be helpful in any way. What is it that you're trying to do?

I like this idea!  It would be very useful to me in a variety of ways, not only in bill archiving but also research compilation.  It would easier to create an "index" of notes for any given purpose without having to reorganize notes among notebooks or to make sure you have a proper tag on a note, etc. 

I can see how some people may find that helpful as well, unless I am forgetting about a feature EN already has or I am missing the boat on something.  I have no clue how difficult this would be to implement.

• Level 5*

Creating a unique ID for each note within a notebook makes it possible to reference one note with another.

I understand that the number is used for sorting in a user-specified way. Questions:

Are te numbers unique to a notebook? An account? What about notebooks shared to you? Are the numbers unique to the original account? Or to your view of the notebook?

How does the ID and referencing work if you move a note to another notebook? Does the number change?

Remember that you can view notes from different notebooks together in the same note list -- how does that work if you sort by "number"?

For my own learning purposes, I will toss the ball around with you Jeff.  I want/need to see things from your programming perspective.

Note Numbers and Notebook Numbers would be separate from one another.

NB001, N001

Could the number remain the same as when created, assigned to the account in which created it?  

Such as: Note Number:  Naccountname|001 (Note Number:  Njefito | 001 or Njefito001)

When you view the Note Number from your account, it simply shows:  N001

A Notebook would be: NB001

If you share the Note with me, I view it as:  Njefito | 001 or Njefito001

The same could go for Notebooks.  

In regards to Sorting:  If you sort by a tag, you may get several notes with numbers that are not sequential.  Which is fine.  If you sort by number, then you get only the number(s) in which you request, same as searching by Title.

Despite numbering Notes or Notebooks, the Title feature would remain as is. Maybe the user could be given the choice of numbering or naming Notes/Notebooks or allow for both.  Now that I play this out a bit in my mind, a name of a Note could end up looking like this:  Njefito001 How to avoid Sentinel.  Then the question of, what happens to the current Note numbers if a Note is deleted?  Well, nothing.  Keep them the same.

What I am picturing in my mind is the number being greyed out in the top left corner of the Note before the Title. However, you can still reference the Note by search, sort, linking, etc.

What do you think?

hi,

Yes, the numbering is meant

• for sorting notes within a Notebook 
  • with the purpose to e.g. create INDEXES for this notebook
  • YES for eg.: bills, index´s, user-specifies purposes (within a Notebook)

characteristics of the numbering:

• unique to a Notebook
  • or even to a Notebook view within an User-Account
  • maybe an optional by Notebook could be:
    • use sort order in sahred Notebooks 

Suggestion for realization:

• drag & drop ... sort order of notes ..... within "note overview" (see attached image)
  • resulting in a number (given in the background)

Evernote%20sort%20order.png

I also need auto numbering because me and my team we are using Evernote as comments/reports/investigation issues database. 

we also have many categories and we are using tags to identify them. 

What will be very helpful is to get an auto unique number for certain tags inside shared notebooks. 

i.e. when I add the tag "machinery" (category) in a note and I already have A number of notes with "machinery" tags, then this note unique number will be A+1 or M-A+1.

When I delete a category tag from a previously numbered note or I delete a note with a category tag, the numbering should not change for the notes created after the deleted note or tag. All the numbers for each category must be unique and never change after is done.  

We have to send those comments, reports as excel spreadsheet, or docs. Later on, we are receiving a notice which of them are ready for inspection. Then we have to update our system on Evernote. Unfortunately, our collaborators don't use Evernote. 

It will be very easy to follow up an issue by knowing the number on different platforms such as ms office, google drive, and Evernote. Last, in the report, we can link related comments by their number only and not with long titles or descriptions. 

On 17.8.2017 at 9:05 AM, dimihaola@gmail.com said:

I also need auto numbering because me and my team we are using Evernote as comments/reports/investigation issues database. 

we also have many categories and we are using tags to identify them. 

What will be very helpful is to get an auto unique number for certain tags inside shared notebooks. 

i.e. when I add the tag "machinery" (category) in a note and I already have A number of notes with "machinery" tags, then this note unique number will be A+1 or M-A+1.

When I delete a category tag from a previously numbered note or I delete a note with a category tag, the numbering should not change for the notes created after the deleted note or tag. All the numbers for each category must be unique and never change after is done.  

We have to send those comments, reports as excel spreadsheet, or docs. Later on, we are receiving a notice which of them are ready for inspection. Then we have to update our system on Evernote. Unfortunately, our collaborators don't use Evernote. 

It will be very easy to follow up an issue by knowing the number on different platforms such as ms office, google drive, and Evernote. Last, in the report, we can link related comments by their number only and not with long titles or descriptions. 

SUGGESTION FOR IMPLEMENTATION

See screenshot

Solution suggestion.png

2 hours ago, dimihaola@gmail.com said:

This looks good, those IDs are inside the note's body? as reminders? could you please be more specific? 

Reading the comments above - also from others - my suggestion could/would be:

The fields were meant

• within each single notes body
  • changeable from outside, by  clicking in them
    (not only editable from within  the (i) edit body)
  • for NUMBER-fields
  • for DATE-fields

GENERAL ... NO-fields

• NO-fields = Number Fields 
  • the NO-fields are NUMBERS ONLY
  • each number may only exist ONCE in the system (by user account)

System NO-field

• Convention example:  234-232323
  • 234 = Notebook-ID  (not editeable)
  • 232323 = Single-note-ID  
  • AUTO generated number, sequentiell by adding a note, within a notebook
  • (actually this field wollen´t Even needed to be shown at all = internal, maybe)

Personal NO-field 

• Convention example:  123123 
  • 123123 = any individual number entered by the user

ADD Filtering Option in "View"

• in menu: "View"
  • sort by: "by number"
  • sort Order: "Low to High"
  • sort Order: "High to Low" 

Filtering

• within a notebook:
    • by sort order > by note number > by personal field NO
  • across notebooks/tags
    • (if this Option is Even necessary)
    • add: Cluster by Notebooks/Tasks / Don´t Cluster by notebby
    • than sort order > by Cluster notebook-no > by notebook number > by note number > by personal field NO
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Mic@Evern said:

Reading the comments above - also from others - my suggestion could/would be:

Moving this dIscussion to the Feature Request forum

imho, This seems like a niche feature and I don’t expect Evernote will jump on it, adding database fields or the generation code

You might look at scripting tools to help generate the numbering values

I’m working on a Mac and maintain a spreadsheet containing metadata for my notes.

On 2/9/2014 at 9:45 PM, ScottLougheed said:

As I see it, the "Date Created" would be a de facto "sequential numbering" would it not? 

Though the date Created" would serve as a refernce point, it can become quite confusing when you have several dozens of notes created on the same day, that come through with the same search criteria (ie, same notebook, tags, etc.). 

On 8/22/2017 at 5:10 AM, Mic@Evern said:

SUGGESTION FOR IMPLEMENTATION

See screenshot

Solution suggestion.png

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!! I'm totally on board!!!

Archived