Keyboard Shortcut for "Search in Evernote"?

Istari6

Idea

Longtime user of Evernote, and I rely heavily upon the "Search in Evernote" shortcut (found in Preferences).

I've long had it bound to CMD-SHIFT-F, then used TextExpander to quickly add "intitle:".  With the latest update a few days ago, CMD-SHIFT-F now causes Simplify Formatting for my note, no matter what I have set in the Preferences.  

When I try to change the shortcut to something else, most are taken already, but others which don't give any conflict just don't work.  For example, now I have CMD-SHIFT-W assigned, but when I use it I get a "beep" and nothing happens.  There's no warning of conflicts (as when you try and use other shortcuts).  

Is this a bug?  Is there another way to bind "Search in Evernote"?  Can I override the Simplify Formatting (which I never use) and go back to CMD-SHIFT-F?

Thanks!

Chris

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I ran into a similar issue with keyboard shortcuts a while back.  To make it easy to remember, and be consistent for all Evernote user-assignable shortcuts, I chose CTRL-OPT as the prefix for all my shortcuts.

So I have:

• N -- New Note
  • V -- Paste to Evernote
  • S -- Search in Evernote

Since Most Mac apps don't use CTRL, I find this works very well for global shortcuts.

CTRL-OPT-S  -- easy to remember for Evernote Search.

I ran into a similar issue with keyboard shortcuts a while back.  To make it easy to remember, and be consistent for all Evernote user-assignable shortcuts, I chose CTRL-OPT as the prefix for all my shortcuts.

So I have:

• N -- New Note
  • V -- Paste to Evernote
  • S -- Search in Evernote

Since Most Mac apps don't use CTRL, I find this works very well for global shortcuts.

CTRL-OPT-S  -- easy to remember for Evernote Search.

Why didn't I think of this...? Thanks for the hint, JMichael.

Thanks for the reply.  Having played around further, I've discovered that in the new version, they've bound the "Search in Evernote" to OPT-CMD-F.  Thus it doesn't seem to matter what I put in the Keyboard Preferences, nothing works except OPT-CMD-F.  

So fortunately, I have a working keystroke combo again, even if it's not preferred choice.  It seems the rule is that if Evernote assigns something it's hard-coded (see menus), but other combos are open to customization? 

Chris

• Level 5*

Thanks for the reply.  Having played around further, I've discovered that in the new version, they've bound the "Search in Evernote" to OPT-CMD-F.  Thus it doesn't seem to matter what I put in the Keyboard Preferences, nothing works except OPT-CMD-F.  

Chris

Don't know why changing KB shortcuts in EN Preferences doesn't work for you -- it works fine for me.

So it's not a bug or design problem, it's something you're doing or not doing, something in your Mac setup.

So maybe you need to submit a Support Ticket, and get Evernote to help you figure out the issue on your Mac.

Archived