(Archived) Not sure of grammar to look at yesterday's created and updated notes.

snsokstan

In Jamie Todd Rubin's blog, he mentions doing a daily review each evening of his notes created or updated that day. He uses a saved search:

any: created:day updated:day

I wanted to create a search I could do each morning to review the notes I created or updated yesterday (but not today's notes). I tried this:

any: created:day-1 -created:day  updated:day-1 -updated:day

That one doesn't do what I thought it would.

What's the right search grammar to look at all notes created or updated yesterday?

Hello snsokstan,

have you tried ONLY the search parameter updated?

any: updated:day-1 -updated:day

A new note has afaik an idetical update-Date, so this searchparameter alone should find new notes from yesterday AND changed notes as well.

I hope, this solves your problem.

Kind regards,

Olli

• Level 5*

In Jamie Todd Rubin's blog, he mentions doing a daily review each evening of his notes created or updated that day. He uses a saved search:

any: created:day updated:day

This works because the search is looking for notes either created since today OR updated since today - the "any:" term denotes an OR search

I wanted to create a search I could do each morning to review the notes I created or updated yesterday (but not today's notes). I tried this:

any: created:day-1 -created:day  updated:day-1 -updated:day

That one doesn't do what I thought it would.

This doesn't work because it's a search that looks for notes that were either created since yesterday OR NOT created since today OR updated since yesterday OR NOT updated since today - the "any:" term applies to all items in the search.

What's the right search grammar to look at all notes created or updated yesterday?

The search you want would be expressed as one that finds all notes that were either (created since yesterday AND NOT since created today) OR (updated since yesterday AND NOT updated since today). Since the Evernote search grammar doesn't permit mixed AND/OR searches, I don't think that this kind of search is possible. You could break it down as separate AND searches:

created:day-1 -created:day

and

updated:day-1 -updated:day

and look at them separately, or with a little extra bit of work, use created:day-1 -created:day and tag the results with some special tag, then use updated:day-1 -updated:day and tag those results with the same tag, and then just filter on that tag.

• Level 5*

Hello snsokstan,

have you tried ONLY the search parameter updated?

any: updated:day-1 -updated:day

A new note has afaik an idetical update-Date, so this searchparameter alone should find new notes from yesterday AND changed notes as well.

I hope, this solves your problem.

Kind regards,

Olli

I don't think that that search works: it's ll notes that were updated since yesterday OR updated before today -- that lets in notes that were created before yesterday. Just a plain search for updated:day-1 -updated:day is closer, though. I'll have to think about that; it's time to go to work... :)

Archived