Android Multiple (30x) upload/posting of same note

Submitted a support ticket, but it's been a couple days and wondering if the group already knows the answer.

I made a new camera note in Android 4.2 I took a photo and hit sync.

Not long after, I got an error in Android saying I had used my EN quota for the month ( still had 24 days left ).

Hmm, I thought, what's that about?  And I just started the month!    Then, when I synced Windows version to cloud I got same message saying I had used all my quota. 

So, I took it seriously and investigated to see what might have caused this.  I had not been working so much in Evernote recently and never use my limit.

I found that the photo note I had created in Android appears 30 times (!)  in my default notebook. Same name, same date, same photo etc.  As far as I can tell, I did nothing different from other times I make photo notes on my phone.

So, Evernote somehow got stuck in a loop? Maybe due to a poor (Edge) connection?  It uploaded same exact things 30 times, not just once. Being a 3MP photo (x30), this put me to my limit instantly, not to mention the data cost.

How can I keep it from doing this?    Avoid making camera notes in Android?  That would be a significant loss as it's such a key feature with smart phones and allows my phone to be my scanner.

Any way that I can recover my usage for this month? It seems that an Evernote bug ate my quota, not me!

• Level 5*

Sounds weird (technical term) unless as you say the note was uploaded and then Evernote thought the upload had failed so did it again and again...   Anyhoo no-one here can offer you any deals on the usage or tell you what you can recover.  If you have a standard reference number for the ticket,  please post it here.  If you don't,  please report this again and post the number.  (Allocation of a reference is automatic.)

Sounds weird (technical term) unless as you say the note was uploaded and then Evernote thought the upload had failed so did it again and again...   Anyhoo no-one here can offer you any deals on the usage or tell you what you can recover.  If you have a standard reference number for the ticket,  please post it here.  If you don't,  please report this again and post the number.  (Allocation of a reference is automatic.)

Ticket# 339097 - Multiple upload of same note (request #339097)

Yep, I believe the technical term is "weirdness" alright.  My best guess too is something about the slow upload made EN servers ask for it again and again, but somehow it asked for it 30 times before it got the first one and then it kept accepting the same exact info over and over and considering it a new note?  ...well,  I think I've found a bug or, at least some settings that could be adjusted.  It's kinda serious bug for me as I'm forced offline for the month.

Don't know programming, but if this is what happened, I can imagine more than one parameter would have to be missing or out of bounds for it to upload 30 copies of the same.   The easiest thing I'd think to change would be it's timeout.  And then it's recognition of the exact same data coming in repeatedly?  And counting that as a new note?  Again, and again and again and again and again and again.....(repeat to 30).

I suppose there aren't many EN Android users on edge data connections these days.   Still, I hope to avoid this issue and keep being able to use EN.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that EN Android somehow replicated the same note many times in the local client and it has nothing to do with the slow connection during syncing.

Thanks

• Level 5*

You're making several points about bugs and note replications on which its impossible to comment except that there don't seem to be any current reports of any other Android user (including me) having the same issues.  Could be your connection.  your device or your account and someone needs to exclude possibilities in a logical way until you find out what actually happened.  Until that time you might want to capture pictures on your device outside the app - just using the normal camera function - and 'share' or email them to your account once Evernote take a look at the limit issue.  It may take a few days,  but you should be OK soon.  Meantime also you can use the desktop client and save notes to a local notebook,  to be transferred to your online notebooks when you're syncing again.

Yep. Nothing but speculation and I didn't see anyone else posting with this issue.

But as you say, untill I have some idea of how to avoid the problem or confidence that it won't repeat, I sure won't be using Evernote for photo notes in Android. 

• 4 months later...

OK, it's happening again.  I got a better internet conection so I was using camera in EN Android again.  This time it's not so bad, only 4 copies and the pics were low res,  but it has done it several times in the last few days.  I just searched the forums and now see that this is not just me

In 2012, three people reported this issue: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/30032-duplication-of-image-notes-in-android/

April 2013, five people reporting issue:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37191-multiple-duplicate-notes-created-unwanted/

In Nov 2013 two users discuss problem and  suggestion to reinstal:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/40955-multiple-copies-of-a-note-being-created/

Personally, I never got any answer on my support ticket, they offered me a month of premium to get me going again (2 weeks later, but hey, it's free!)  and that was it.

Just reporting in so it's noticed as an ongoing problem.

Archived