'True' offline for premium users

For premium users, Android saves notebooks and makes them available offline. But it doesn't actually load truly offline.

Notes still require internet to load, there is probably an exchange of just a few kb but internet connection is needed. If fight mode is turned on, notes load instantly, it is when the signal is weak that Evernote takes 20-30 seconds to load up an offline note.

Even after entering flight-mode I can access all offline notebooks immediately without any delay. I have notes with 20 photos included (I use it as photoalbum) that open immediately and show all photos. Do you have set your notebooks offline? You have to mark them for offline use before using this feature.

[Edit:] Oh, I see you can already access them offline in flight mode. Then ignore my answer.

Flight mode: no issues

Under WiFi/3G: no issues

Under 2G: delay, especially if the connection is slow.

Yup, notebook is offline.

The same issue was with YouTube app on Android, even offline videos needed internet initially (it did keep the video offline though). They fixed it recently.

For premium users, Android saves notebooks and makes them available offline. But it doesn't actually load truly offline.

Notes still require internet to load, there is probably an exchange of just a few kb but internet connection is needed. If fight mode is turned on, notes load instantly, it is when the signal is weak that Evernote takes 20-30 seconds to load up an offline note.

This "noffline" mode makes me mad!

• Level 5*

Not sure I understand this. I have a Wi-fi only tablet. At work, it's wholly off line, in fact, WiFi is completely turned off. I have several offline notebooks, and they are previously synced onto my device (that's a requirement for getting your notes on the device for when you go offline). So in that state, I can read all notes in my offline notebooks -- without needing to download anything further (because I can't -- it's offline), and I can search those notes just fine.

Not sure I understand this. I have a Wi-fi only tablet. At work, it's wholly off line, in fact, WiFi is completely turned off. I have several offline notebooks, and they are previously synced onto my device (that's a requirement for getting your notes on the device for when you go offline). So in that state, I can read all notes in my offline notebooks -- without needing to download anything further (because I can't -- it's offline), and I can search those notes just fine.

Same thing for me. I use offline notebooks on my iPad and iPhone when travelling internationally. Without wifi or cellular data I have no problem accessing and modifying my offline notes. 

I have the same problem on Android. If a data connection is active, (Evernote for unknown reasons) needs to connect to the server, even though the note is stored for offline viewing.  This is problematic in an area of poor signal coverage. It delays or sometimes never displays the note until a good data connection is re-established.  I run into this problem all the time while traveling and I find it annoying.  I'm not sure why Evernote mechanized it this way.

The only work-around that I know of is to turn mobile data off, This allows offline notes to load instantly.

I have also noticed this:

• If all data connections are off - a note will open immediately.
  • If a data connection is available but of very low quality the note (that is set to be available offline) loads very slowly.

Obviously, when there is a connection available Evernote is checking to see if the server has a newer version of the note than is available on the device before it displays the note. This check is avoided if there is no connection available. Perhaps this could be handled better if there was a much shorter time-out for checking the server for updates when opening a note.

[CUT]

Obviously, when there is a connection available Evernote is checking to see if the server has a newer version of the note than is available on the device before it displays the note. This check is avoided if there is no connection available. Perhaps this could be handled better if there was a much shorter time-out for checking the server for updates when opening a note.

I don't believe EN checks note updates: note conflicts wouldn't exist then

[CUT]

I don't believe EN checks note updates: note conflicts wouldn't exist then

It has to check for updates so that it can show the user the newest content after launch. By default the mobile application should attempt to pull down changes immediately upon launch if it knows there's a connection. Even doing this, note conflicts can occur. 

Note conflicts occur, if, for example, you make a change while offline on your mobile device, then, without syncing, make a change on your desktop, sync the desktop THEN establish a connection on the ipad. Here, the ipad changes will collide with the changes on the server that originated on the desktop. 

• 1 month later...

[CUT]

It has to check for updates so that it can show the user the newest content after launch. By default the mobile application should attempt to pull down changes immediately upon launch if it knows there's a connection. Even doing this, note conflicts can occur. 

[CUT]

Sorry but no, it doesn't.

I've set EN to auto-sync with wifi only; 3G connection enabled and wifi disabled; Android device A and Android device B

• Created a note on A in a offline notebook
  • Forced a Sync on A
  • Forced a Sync on B
  • The note appears on B too.

• Edited the note on A
  • Forced a Sync on A
  • Opened the note on B again, but i still see the original note.
  • Forced a Sync on A again
  • Opened the note on B again: keep seeing the original note.

Done the same in a "not offline" notebook: the same happens.

I see EN uses Internet connection for some seconds, but I don't know why.

Another irritating thing is:

when a search is performed with no internet connection, EN doesn't say "Sorry, unable to perform a search" but it simply says "No results".

Cheers.  G

Archived