Feature Request - Edit my own HTML!

buffal0gal

Idea

I know it's there. I want to be able to see the source code and edit it. Not going crazy on wild amounts of tags or CSS.

Really, what I want is to be able to edit the tables in clips or the notes I create. Simplify Format seems to take the tables out. Remove formatting seems to strip out all the HTML tags.

And image wrap. I want to be able to control image wrap.

I'm SURE there are others who really, really want to have a "view source" window option, too.

34 replies to this idea

So as an alternative, you could export any note you want to edit the html on to html and then edit it and import it back into Evernote. This would not be a great way to work on the fly but if it is only specific notes that you want to tinker with this might work. 

On 9/11/2015 at 0:11 AM, Dave Land said:

For those who don't recall, the script is located here: https://greasyfork.org/it/scripts/8869-evernote-web-html-editor

Just a quick follow-up on the script:

• about a month ago I upgraded it after I noticed that it wasn't working for some days
  • despite about 400 people installed it, nobody wrote to me about this... so just to be clear, if anyone has feedback feel free to get in touch here or on the GreasyFork feeback page
  • I added a link to a tutorial on the bottom left corner of the code editing window, you should really check it out
  • I am considering which kind of features might be useful to add now... do you guys have any idea or requirement? :) 
6 hours ago, Lazza said:

I am considering which kind of features might be useful to add now... do you guys have any idea or requirement? :) 

Thank you for asking. I'd like to be able to…

• Choose a smaller font for the editor
  • Search and replace in the editor (Those of us on the Mac have been asking Evernote for this feature forever)
    • Unless, of course, it's in your editor and I just don't see it…
On 28/9/2016 at 9:36 PM, Dave Land said:

For those who can't wait

Gosh, that's small. :D I will see if I can add an option for this.

On 28/9/2016 at 9:36 PM, Dave Land said:

Search and replace in the editor (Those of us on the Mac have been asking Evernote for this feature forever)

Yet, you are lucky. Linux users have been asking for a client forever! :P Anyway, the code editor is Ace. It has search and replace with regular expressions (although multi-line matching does not work). Check out the keyboard shortcuts.

Thank you. :)

12 hours ago, Dave Land said:

And you threw in themes as a bonus

Eh I was getting a bit bored by the theme I chose before and I though it would be a good idea to implement a switcher, so I can choose any of the Ace default themes when I want to.

Hi Lazza, I was a big fan of your script — loved being able to tinker with html in Evernote.

However I hadn't used it for a while and it doesn't seem to be working anymore. (Firefox, Mac 10.12.1). Essentially the script freezes the entire Evernote edit screen, can't type anywhere in it. In fact your </html> button doesn't even seem to appear there either (not that I could select it if it did, since I can't select anything below your toolbar).

I can only access your toolbar and even then it doesn't function very smoothly. I made sure I was updated to the latest version of your script.

Any ideas as to why it might not be working? Thanks very much

20 hours ago, sdf1 said:

Essentially the script freezes the entire Evernote edit screen, can't type anywhere in it.

Wow, that's weird. I saw it not but it happens only with Firefox, not with Chrome. I will try to understand why it does that, but if you need the feature right now please use Chrome.

Hi, I've just quickly updated the script to make it work with the latest version of evernote for web.

It's not perfect: in order to "save changes" you have to change anything inside the note (e.g. enter an empty space, modify text, etc) after editing the html.

You can download it here: https://gist.github.com/psxvoid/d542ff07f312f6262a5429c329c81386

You  can install it by various ways:

1. by replacing the content of an old script in tamper monkey with a new one, than click "ctrl+s"
  2. by adding a new script in tampermonkey (by pressing "+"), then replace all content, click "ctrl+s"

I have only one concern, the script sometimes stops and closing/reopening the Browser (Chrome) is required. I am using TamperMonkey.

This is strange. I rarely encounter problems with a script, but when I do I just force reload the page (Ctrl+F5). Doesn't a reload suffice for you?

Great stuff if working - I already was on the road to set this up and give it a try.

What hold me off is the fact that I would have had to grant access to all of my notes to s.b. that I have not come across so far...

I'm don't want to imply that there is anything evil going on there but I suggest to everyone to at least be aware of the fact that granting access to the personal notes to enable the editor to work means that there really is access to the notes.

Even have to admit that I myself am being ambivalent here as I already use other services that I have given access to the data...

Again, just trying to remind people to at least be aware!

Check out my new user-script for Evernote HTML editing. You can download it here: https://greasyfork.org/it/scripts/8869-evernote-web-html-editor

Lazza,

Thank you for creating the script, but it does not seem to be working at this time. With it installed and activated via Tampermonkey, there seems to be no difference from Evernote pages without the script installed. 

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Thank you,

Dave

Are you using the good ol' version of Evernote Web? It does not work with the broken beta version.

Since the new version is all about hiding buttons and removing useful features, I wasn't really sure how I could add the button on the page in a meaningful sense. For this reason, the HTML button only appears if you use the good functional interface. However, I will gladly accept suggestions on this matter.  :)

Are you using the good ol' version of Evernote Web?

That's it! I switched back to the old version, and your userscript works as expected.

Thank you so much!

Evernote, unfortunately, is very dedicated to "streamlining" (removing useful features) from their products. I still use Skitch 1.0.12 because Skitch 2 is like a tiny-tykes version of an image annotator. It's a toy, not a tool.

Good luck making your script work with the nerfed new version.

Lazza,

Thank you for your guidance and script; your script ends my frustration with tweaking my notes just right for publishing via postach.io.

I have only one concern, the script sometimes stops and closing/reopening the Browser (Chrome) is required. I am using TamperMonkey.

Any suggestions, welcome.  Thanks,

Best,

Wikipedia says Chrome 46 has been released 6 days ago. Do you already have the latest version? Sometimes the author of the extension (Tampermonkey) needs to tweak it when a new release comes out and this may take a while. I am currently on Chromium 45 and it works for me. I will try again when I get the update on my computer. :)

Archived