Evernote for iPhone freezes when opening my notebook

I have created a slightly large (130 notes mostly text) notebook in evernote desktop for windows and after the recent iOS upgrade of Evernote, every time I try to open this notebook on my iPhone Evernote,it freezes and I should exit the application.I have noticed that when prior to opening this notebook I open a smaller notebook and after that I open this large one it opens it with no problem!!!

I am studying for an important exam currently and I have always liked studying with my everenote notes so please someone help me to solve this problem. :(

-In brief : I have large notebookA and small notebookB (and so many other notebooks)

-When I try to open notebookA in my iPhone ----->  Evernote freezes

-When I first open notebookB and then open notebookA ------> No Problem!!

-Also I don't have any problem with Evernote for Windows

Thanks Evernote guys! :wub:

Have you tried resetting the iPhone by pressing and holding the power and Home button until the silver apple appears? Have you checked Settings>General>Usage to see how much free space you have? Very small amounts of free space can cause weirdness. Have you tried uninstalling the the app and reinstalling?

Best of luck.

Thank you for your answer but I have already tried all of these (rebooting my device , removing and reinstalling Evernote App several times)

I have also 50GB of free space on my device. My iPhone is a 4S/64GB with iOS 7.04

It looks that I found the problem.The problem exists when I sort my notes by title!! I don't have the problem when the notes in this notebook are sorted by date!

The first time that I start evernote, notes are sorted by "date updated" by default and therefore I have no issue but after sorting my notebook by "title" the issue triggers and application freezes!

I also just tried Evernote on my iPad and I don't have this problem on it but I prefer to work with iPhone.

Ever since updating to version 7.3.0, the Evernote app on my iPhone has been really glitchy as well. The frustrating part is that sometimes it works fine and sometimes freezes up when I try to open a notebook. Generally, when I first launch it and try to navigate to whatever notebook, it will freeze, causing me to force quit the app. Usually once I relaunch it after that, it will work fine for a while.

I have already deleted the app and reinstalled as well as doing a hard reset a couple of times. It seems like I've read of others having this same issue so hopefully it will be resolved in an update soon. Trying to use the app like this is incredibly frustrating.

For the record, I'm running iOS 7.0.4 and I have just under 3.5 GB of free space.

I'm running Evernote 7.3.0 on a 5s with iOS 7.0.4. I'm also having this issue.

When I select certain notebooks in Shortcuts or Notebooks view, it will highlight like it was selected but it gets stuck there, as if it were thinking forever. 

I rebooted all the ways you can reboot, un/reinstalled the app, PLUS I've replaced my phone completely (the hardware had a catastrophic "concrete poisoning" issue) and started off from scratch. The app still times out on the same notebooks.

The desktop app is completely fine, and I've checked the notes and notebooks and it's just text in there. Text that one might find similar to a shopping list. 

Evernote for iOS freezes and crashes when I try to open a note from the Notebook Home Screen UNLESS I sort my notes (from the Notes Home Screen) by something other than 'Title'.

However, if I do change the sorting order to something other than 'Title' AND THEN switch it back to 'Title', Evernote doesn't freeze and crash when I try to launch a notebook from the Notebook Home Screen.

The problem is reporduceable by myself: if I close Evernote (via the multitasking manager) or reboot the iPhone, the problem reoccurs if I have sort by 'Title' selected. The same workaround from above still works.

Thanks to Ghalandar for the work around.

Version & Hardware info:
Evernote 7.3.0.307130

iOS 7.0.4

iPhone 5s 64GB

14.2 GB available

One of my notebooks froze all the time on my iPhone 5. I went into Evernote and cleared the cache and it works fine now! Settings/Support/Clear Cache

Good luck!!

This worked, thanks! Now I just have to see what happens when the cache starts filling up again. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having the same problem for months on my iPhone 5.  it's so bad, I can hardly even make use of Evernote, and I have tons of important stuff on it.  I chose Evernote just so I could access my notes from my phone, but it's useless.

Does anyone know why Evernote doesn't just fix this bug?

One of my notebooks froze all the time on my iPhone 5. I went into Evernote and cleared the cache and it works fine now! Settings/Support/Clear Cache

Good luck!!

This worked, thanks! Now I just have to see what happens when the cache starts filling up again. 

On my iPhone 5, I can go to Settings, but there is no category under Settings called Support.  Could you please give more details?  Thx.

Good luck!!

On my iPhone 5, I can go to Settings, but there is no category under Settings called Support.  Could you please give more details?  Thx.

On the settings page, mine says Customize Home Screen, Premium, General, Support, Legal. If that doesn't match then you may need to update the app. 

Also clearing the cache doesn't fix it. The bug triggers again after a while. 

• 1 month later...

Have you tried resetting the iPhone by pressing and holding the power and Home button until the silver apple appears? Have you checked Settings>General>Usage to see how much free space you have? Very small amounts of free space can cause weirdness. Have you tried uninstalling the the app and reinstalling?

Best of luck.

I did try all these things.  Still having the freezing problem on my iPhone.

Best of luck.

Please do not post the same thing in the same (or even multiple threads).  I deleted your subsequent post (same issue) that you posted shortly after this one.

Did you ever submit a support ticket?

• Level 5

Best of luck.

Did you try this, just a guess: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/49158-the-new-72-update-from-december-12-2013-keeps-crashing/page-2 ?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your answer but I have already tried all of these (rebooting my device , removing and reinstalling Evernote App several times)

I have also 50GB of free space on my device. My iPhone is a 4S/64GB with iOS 7.04

It looks that I found the problem.The problem exists when I sort my notes by title!! I don't have the problem when the notes in this notebook are sorted by date!

The first time that I start evernote, notes are sorted by "date updated" by default and therefore I have no issue but after sorting my notebook by "title" the issue triggers and application freezes!

I also just tried Evernote on my iPad and I don't have this problem on it but I prefer to work with iPhone.

I have found exactly the same thing.  Evernote is no longer useable on the iPhone - which in my opinion is 90% of the use of Evernote.  This seems to be a regular, recurring problem with Evernote and updates - to the point that I don't think I can any longer trust it for my work stuff.  I think I'm going to have to switch over to Microsoft's OneNote - which, while not quite as good as evernote; at least it ALWAYS WORKS and Microsoft at least seems to have a large enough team to keep mission critical issues like this from happening to their software.  JF

Evernote stopped working on the iPhone 5S with the latest iOS update.  There is no acknowledgement officially from Evernote about this, though some users report that customer service says a fix is in the works.  But it's been TOO LONG for mission critical software.  I see from the forums that this is a common issue with Evernote in terms of low reliability and poor QC wrt updates.  Personally, I just can't tolerate this for my business - where time is money.  I'm going to keep evernote for now, but I'm going to have to slowly phase away from it in favour of Microsoft's OneNote.  At least OneNote never doesn't work and is stable through updates.

JF

Archived