Feature Request: Home Screen / Dashboard on desktop client

Hi Evernote Staff!

I've been a premium user for almost 4 years and love Evernote. I have everything in it. I'm on Mac and iPhone.

I love the new home screen for iPhone and would like to see something similar on the desktop client - a view of my main notebooks, shortcuts, tags, saved searches - so that my standard view isn't either a notebook or 'all notes'

Just throwing it out there!

Thanks,

Scott

+1

The desktop Windows client looks so old-fashioned, a redesign with a customisable dashboard would be awesome.

As a very frequent user of Evernote myself, I have trouble thinking about what I might want to see in a "dashboard". I am just a regular Premium user, and I have only a few shared notebooks, so perhaps I just do not use it in a way that would make a dashboard useful. Perhaps a business user with many collaborators and many notebooks could make better use of a dashboard, I could see some potential there.

Could you explain what information you might like in a "dashboard" type view? This might also help Evernote staff who read these boards understand why this feature might be useful and how it might be executed usefully. 

I would love to spend some time creating mockup of how it should look! But I'm envisaging a much slicker, user interface with the ability to customise which shortcuts I can see and where.

Along the lines of the new ios app - which is definitely much closer to the UI I think a lot of us would like.
  • Level 5*

"A lot of us"? Count me out, if you're talking about the Windows client, thanks just the same. It works well for me as is, for the most part,, and what I would prefer were added (or restored) doesn't need a dashboard.

Could you explain what information you might like in a "dashboard" type view? This might also help Evernote staff who read these boards understand why this feature might be useful and how it might be executed usefully. 

It's an extension of shortcuts, but rather than being on the side, it is as a dashboard - with elements from the new iOS design:

- The ability to see the latest notes in notebooks that I've selected as panels

- Same with tags

- Same with searches

- Able to create a panel showing notebooks, tags, searches as a list (the sidebar but as panels)

What I do is store my latest notes in "Inbox" and then I clear them. I'd like to be able to view multiple latest notes in multiple notebooks, rather than having my default view as Inbox, All Notes, or just one notebook.

Scott

It's an extension of shortcuts, but rather than being on the side, it is as a dashboard - with elements from the new iOS design:

- Same with tags

- Same with searches

- Able to create a panel showing notebooks, tags, searches as a list (the sidebar but as panels)

What I do is store my latest notes in "Inbox" and then I clear them. I'd like to be able to view multiple latest notes in multiple notebooks, rather than having my default view as Inbox, All Notes, or just one notebook.

Scott

Almost all of this could be accomplished with a series of saved searches. 

Search:

stack:mystack created:week

where mystack contains the notebooks you want as "panels" and created:week will display all the notes in those notebooks created in the last 7 days. These could easily be modified to suit your taste. 

-Same with tags

Then you can add whatever tag to the basic search above. Perhaps remove the stack: specification if necessary. 

Toss these searches into the "shortcuts"

when you load up evernote just click on these saved searches to get what this quick information. 

As for displaying tags and notebooks in a "panel", I don't see how this is any different than clicking on the "Notebooks" or "Tags" tab in the sidebar, which brings up your notebook list or tag list in the main panel....

"A lot of us"? Count me out, if you're talking about the Windows client, thanks just the same. It works well for me as is, for the most part,, and what I would prefer were added (or restored) doesn't need a dashboard.

A lot of us being the people in this thread and my colleagues who use Evernote at work. So I think 'a lot' is ok?

So an example of something I don't like, is that my Shortcuts have to be in the same order whether I'm looking at my iPhone or my Windows Client. This is inflexible, I would like to customise this for different versions.

Another point is that with my long list of Shortucts, I cannot quickly see my tags - it would be ideal to see them across the top like the old version of Evernote for Windows. Or at least have the option of where everything goes so that I can access them quickly.

- Same with tags

- Same with searches

Scott

Search:

where mystack contains the notebooks you want as "panels" and created:week will display all the notes in those notebooks created in the last 7 days. These could easily be modified to suit your taste. 

-Same with tags

Then you can add whatever tag to the basic search above. Perhaps remove the stack: specification if necessary. 

when you load up evernote just click on these saved searches to get what this quick information. 

As for displaying tags and notebooks in a "panel", I don't see how this is any different than clicking on the "Notebooks" or "Tags" tab in the sidebar, which brings up your notebook list or tag list in the main panel....

'Almost all of this could be achieved' - I'm sure there are ways of doing everything, but its not user friendly - remember that most of us don't aren't computer engineers or developers - it should be easy enough so my gran can use it! ;)

Hi Scott

Yes, it could be - but as a visual person I'd like to see results from multiple searches in a dashboard view. As antpugh said - in a way that is user friendly :-)

I'm very visual so the ability to see all those latest notes from various notebooks or tags in one view would be very helpful

- Same with tags

- Same with searches

Scott

Search:

-Same with tags

'Almost all of this could be achieved' - I'm sure there are ways of doing everything, but its not user friendly - remember that most of us don't aren't computer engineers or developers - it should be easy enough so my gran can use it! ;)

This is not that hard. I had no idea how to do what you asked to do. I learned how to do it in order to write that post by using Evernote's documentation. I am not a computer scientist or professionally involved in computers (except insofar as I use them to do my work which is non-computer related). The time it took to write that post I could have my makeshift dashboard set up.

I agree completely that it is not elegant nor terribly user friendly (but it is not hard), though because I really doubt that Evernote will implement a dashboard (any time soon at least), the five minutes it takes to set up is better than sitting around and waiting, if this is something you feel you desperately need. 

Hi Scott

Yes, it could be - but as a visual person I'd like to see results from multiple searches in a dashboard view. As antpugh said - in a way that is user friendly :-)

I'm very visual so the ability to see all those latest notes from various notebooks or tags in one view would be very helpful

"the ability to see all those latest notes from various notebooks or tags in one view"

As I see it, what I have suggested would accomplish just this very thing (no it is not the most user friendly, but it also isn't that hard to do). My suggestion is a saved search for notes in the notebooks or tags of your choice that have been created in the last week (or whatever time period you specify). This allows you "to see all those latest notes from various notebooks or tags in one view". 

As I see it, what I have suggested would accomplish just this very thing (no it is not the most user friendly, but it also isn't that hard to do). My suggestion is a saved search for notes in the notebooks or tags of your choice that have been created in the last week (or whatever time period you specify). This allows you "to see all those latest notes from various notebooks or tags in one view". 

Yes, I can imagine saved searches would do it, but then they aren't under their separate notebook headings - hence I still want panels on a dashboard :-)

What do you mean "under their separate notebook headings"? They can live as their own entity in your "shortcuts" panel and have a name of your choosing, and can include or exclude as many notebooks as you'd like.

The thing with that is that I can't see the notes under those searches all at once. I want to be able to see multiple notebooks in view, each with the latest (or even 'starred') notes underneath them

Create a stack with the notebooks you want in your "dashboard". 

Use my search syntax above to create a saved search.

Click on that saved search. 

This will display all the notes created during that period in all of those notebooks. It also displays the notebooks to which they belong, and you can sort this list by notebook. 

For "starred" you can use "reminders" which will also show up in your saved search at the top of the results. 

I think there is definitely a place for this, although I suspect Evernote will not do it (any time soon at least). The beauty is that Evernote has such a rich developer API that I am sure this can be done easily by a third party in perhaps an ever better way than Evernote could do it themselves!

- Same with tags

- Same with searches

Scott

Couldn't agree with this post more!

Archived