Create a new note shortcut icon on desktop?

southernforge

• Level 5*

Hello,

With the Outlook client, it's an easy thing to create a desktop shortcut that opens a new email message window without having to start Outlook first.

Does anyone here know of a similar capability for opening a new Evernote note?

Thanks

Forgive a possibly dumb question,  but how do you do the Outlook shortcut?  

And yes there are command line options though I think you'll get the main Evernote window as well as a new note.  There are apps for phones and various flavours of Windows that will create a note and save it to Evernote - if you're set on avoiding the BWTWFG (big window that was formerly green) you might have a browse through the AppCenter or your mobile device store for other options.

There are also some more hidden command line options that you can use in conjunction with the ones listed on the Dev page.

You can also look at how the Windows client does this when you use the New Note hotkey, as it uses the same command.

In the "Target" field of a shorcut, you can put:

"C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" /NewNote /Hide

Assuming that is where you have Evernote installed. 64 bit machines should have it here:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" /NewNote /Hide

This creates a new note and hides the main window for me.

• 1 year later...

Just went through this, thought I would put out all the steps I took to get an icon for a newnote only to be formed on the statusbar, without a command prompt appearing.

How to create a NewNote Evernote icon that will create a new note only. The paths/filenames need to be corrected:

1. Open Notepad
  2. type in notepad  "<drive:\{path to Evernote.exe}\Evernote.exe" /NewNote /Hide
  3. save note to {path to batfile}\{batname}.bat (This batch file opens the new note window, but also a command prompt opens up briefly)
  4. open a new note in notepad.  (This will be to make a vbs file.  The vbs file will prevent the command prompt from opening when it calls the bat file.)
  5. Paste in this text:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell" ) 
    WshShell.Run chr(34) & "{path to batfile}\{batname}.bat " & Chr(34), 0 
    Set WshShell = Nothing
  6.  save this note as {path to vbsfile}\{vbsfilename}.vbs
  7. open up the folder where this file was saved
  8. right click on the file and Send to-> Desktop (create shortcut)
  9. right click on the new shortcut on the desktop and click properties.  Rename the shortcut to a suitable name.
  10. Go to the shortcut tab in properties and change the target to wscript.exe "{path to vbsfile}\{vbsfilename}.vbs"
  11. Optionally you can change the icon to an evernote icon.  On the same tab, click "change icon", browse to the evernote.exe app, and select an icon.
  12. This shortcut can be dragged onto the taskbar for ease of use.

This worked great for me in win 8.1

Archived