(Archived) Syncing issue in Windows with version 5.1.2.

Gem

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to Evernote Windows 5.1.2 and in doing so, I had to delete the older version, meaning all my nots were 'lost' from my desktop.Since then I have had a problem with certain notes not syncing to the desktop version. There are two notes that I use constantly on the web-based version, my Android phone, and my Android tablet, but they just won't sync to the Windows version. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling (and re-syncing) three or four times and they still won't sync to the desktop version.

Does anyone have any advice, please? I much prefer the functionality of the desktop version to the web version, but not if I can't get access to all my notes!

Thanks,

Gemma

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to Evernote Windows 5.1.2 and in doing so, I had to delete the older version, meaning all my nots were 'lost' from my desktop.Since then I have had a problem with certain notes not syncing to the desktop version. There are two notes that I use constantly on the web-based version, my Android phone, and my Android tablet, but they just won't sync to the Windows version. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling (and re-syncing) three or four times and they still won't sync to the desktop version.

Does anyone have any advice, please? I much prefer the functionality of the desktop version to the web version, but not if I can't get access to all my notes!

Thanks,

Gemma

As Jeff said, uninstalling the Windows client will not cause any notes to be lost...unless those notes were not synced - and that includes any local/non-synced notebooks.  Are you still able to access the notes from the web client? 

I am having a problem syncing as well. Not sure if this is related, but what I am seeing is that if I do not add content to the end of the note, it will not sync. Changes made in the middle are not pushed until I go to the end of the note and at least hit return.

• Level 5*

I am having a problem syncing as well. Not sure if this is related, but what I am seeing is that if I do not add content to the end of the note, it will not sync. Changes made in the middle are not pushed until I go to the end of the note and at least hit return.

Are you using the Windows desktop version of Evernote?

Uninstalling the older version should not have deleted your notes database. Did you do this yourself?

Yes, I did - I was finding that things weren't syncing and that it was slowing down, so decided to start from scratch (I also moved a large amount of notes from a previously local notebook to a synced one, meaning that this particular desktop should have had around 300 notes added to it).

I'm able to access the notes (I have 806 of them) from the web client, my laptop at home, my tablet, and my Android phone. But for some reason I only have 369 notes on my work desktop. Not all of these were originally local notes - one is my most commonly-used note which I used regularly on this computer before uninstalling, deleting the database, and re-installing. I can't seem to figure out if there's a particular pattern to the missing notes. And I have plenty of space on the C drive so it's not that...

• Level 5*

It can take a few days to repopulate the full database - I speak from experience here - and meantime the computer shows however many notes have been downloaded to date.  If things got stuck you can re-start the whole process by exiting Evernote completely (File > Exit) renaming your database EXB file (Tools > Options > General > Open Folder to find it) to something like .BXE and loggin back in to your account.

It can take a few days to repopulate the full database - I speak from experience here - and meantime the computer shows however many notes have been downloaded to date.  If things got stuck you can re-start the whole process by exiting Evernote completely (File > Exit) renaming your database EXB file (Tools > Options > General > Open Folder to find it) to something like .BXE and loggin back in to your account.

It's been several weeks now (I keep procrastinating from trying to figure out why it's happened and how to fix it), so it's not that. I have also closed Evernote completely and messed with the syncing options, but not tried renaming the file - I'll try that tomorrow when I'm back in the office, thank you!

• Level 5*

More than a few days is clearly a problem..  try renaming and start over.  If you have changed the sync options you might also have to Revo uninstall and reinstall - search around here for the full instructions if you need them!  Good luck,  and let us know how you get on...

• Level 5*

Will do so, thanks! And should I just delete the original database file that I renamed?

I'd suggest you keep it for a while if you have the space - odds are it's now totally unnecessary,  but just in case you suddenly find that a note you expected to exist doesn't any more,  it would be handy to have it as a (second) backup.  Once you;re happy that's not going to happen,  just delete it.

Archived