New version 7.3.0.307130

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about the new home screen. I can see the value in moving the buttons to start new notes to the top of the screen. However, I think I preferred the previous format.

I'm not happy about the Notes section on the Home screen. Before, I had thumbnails of the recent notes. Now it's just titles and the day they were created. I can't seem to find a way to get the thumbnails back.

I doubt I'll ever use the color choices. But, for those that like that sort of thing, it's a nice option.

So far, I haven't noticed any performance issues or changes.

Keep up the great work!

• Level 5*

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about the new home screen. I can see the value in moving the buttons to start new notes to the top of the screen. However, I think I preferred the previous format.

Meg, could you (or anyone) post a screen shot of the new version?

TIA.

Once again the UI geniuses at EN have figured out how to make something more difficult.  The whole point of short cuts is quick access to frequently used notes.  In prior versions they were readily accessible, in 7.3 they've pushed them down a level.

Note to UI designers:  Ease of use is measured in how many mouse clicks or finger taps it takes to accomplish a task.  Less is better.

Now Shortcuts take two taps instead of one, even though there is clearly wasted screen space on a portrait iPad.

But the idiotic "MarketPlace" and Announcements are still both readily accessible, even after I "deleted" them using the customizations.

Please put Shortcuts back on top!  Use the screen space for what I want, that's the point of "customization".

I like the lighter background choice but my biggest issue is the small, light fonts. They are very hard to read (on an iPhone).

Can you utilize the iOS system settings in General->Accessibility->Bold Fonts and Larger Type (dynamic type)?

Or do something else to improve readability.

This goes for the home page and notes themselves.

• Level 5*

I like the lighter background choice but my biggest issue is the small, light fonts. They are very hard to read (on an iPhone).

Can you utilize the iOS system settings in General->Accessibility->Bold Fonts and Larger Type (dynamic type)?

Or do something else to improve readability.

This goes for the home page and notes themselves.

I haven't upgraded yet, but I'd like to reinforce BD1's issue with readability.  Aside from bugs, this is the biggest issue I have with the Evernote UI design.  I'd like to made a strong appeal to the young Evernote UI designers to please consider that many of your users may not have the excellent eyesight that you have.

IMO, readability must be priority #1.  If I can't easily read the screen, then it greatly reduces the usefulness of the app to me.

Please, please, please make sure ALL of your text is HIGH CONTRAST, and font size is large enough  so that it can be easily read by most people.

Thanks.  And BTW, I very much appreciate your commitment to reduce/minimize bugs and focus on making your core product more useable before launching into major new features.

Doesn't look like there is an option to get the thumbnails back.

As for the new note buttons area up top.

It's more convenient to use on the iPad as it's next to where you hold it but with the iphone it's a little high if using a thick case.

It's probably made to avoid accidental clicks.

I quite like the new themes and it's definitely a step foreward especially when reading at night.

The only problem is it's a huge contrast when you open up a bright white note against a darker theme.

I think we need the option to toggle background note themes also.

I love changes,it shows me developers are still interested in improving their product and listening to customers.

Make sure you voice your opinions even the negative ones.

I've only just updated as it's very early here so I'll be playing around some more.

I find that the new homescreen is a vast improvement and addresses most of the reasons that made me roll back to 5.3. At least in terms of customisability.

There are, of course, still room for improvements:

- Market and Announcement needs to disappear completely, when hidden.

- Neither of the color schemes seem to hit the sweet spot for me. Now this could be a matter of taste, but it's arguably quite an objective observation that there is very little contrast in either of the schemes. More contrast to more easily tell the different elements apart would be great. 

- Premium background? Seriously? 

- The homescreen still feel outlandish compared to the rest of the interface. You go to a some content or click to make some new and it suddenly feels like you're in a different app altogether. (Update: One reason is the green colour used in the homescreen and the rest of the interface is not the same.)

Regarding the app in general, I have a few issues:

- It always require two steps to make a shortcut. For Notes, you have to click the ... menu and then click the star; for  Notebooks/Tags, you click the star and then, yes indeed, you need to click again to confirm you want to add it to shortcuts. It's like Evernote just insists. 

- Evernote seriously need to start applying more QA on translations. The current translation is embarassing! This is a general problem across platforms. 

I don't use an iOS device but what I see on the pictures looks very good (clean) to me.

I like that there is a sync-button at the start-screen.

When you start Evernote on Android you see a list of notes but there is no sync-button. You have to go one step back (to the overview), press the sync button, wait until sync has finished and then go back to the list of notes. I have done this 3 steps hundreds of times before opening a note. I hope that EN for Android also gets a sync-button on the startscreen and also at the top of every note.

Once again the UI geniuses at EN have figured out how to make something more difficult.  The whole point of short cuts is quick access to frequently used notes.  In prior versions they were readily accessible, in 7.3 they've pushed them down a level.

Note to UI designers:  Ease of use is measured in how many mouse clicks or finger taps it takes to accomplish a task.  Less is better.

Now Shortcuts take two taps instead of one, even though there is clearly wasted screen space on a portrait iPad.

But the idiotic "MarketPlace" and Announcements are still both readily accessible, even after I "deleted" them using the customizations.

Please put Shortcuts back on top!  Use the screen space for what I want, that's the point of "customization".

I think MarketPlace should be well hidden, especially since it is not even available in my Region.

Announcements should be sufficient when sent by email in the form of a Newsletter or on their Twitter / Facebook or Blog.

I think MarketPlace should be well hidden, especially since it is not even available in my Region.

Announcements should be sufficient when sent by email in the form of a Newsletter or on their Twitter / Facebook or Blog.

As a premium user, it really bothers me to see marketplace and announcement not hidden even when I select the setting to hide them. I follow the evernote blog and I am well are there are other items to purchase in the evernote marketplace. 

I don't need or want to see these every time I open the app.  

I do not have any other paid app that is this obnoxious with their advertising and self promotion.

Please put Shortcuts back on top!

Tap on the gear icon next to your name, then choose "customize home screen" -- you can move the different sections around to put shortcuts on the top, bottom, or wherever you want it.

To my mind, allowing users to customize the placement of elements is a far better UI choice than presenting them in a fixed order.

Don - I completely agree.

The original comment was with respect to having Shortcuts buried in a sub-menu, not the sequence on the home page.  The issue with being buried in a sub-menu is resolved by changing the setting for "show details" (scroll to bottom of customization page) to ON since for some reason EN decided that the default would be OFF.

Archived