(Archived) How to optimize the evernote database

C.J.

Hi, 

To be a premium user, I have ~51G/ 7600 notes, in my desktop, to be honest the performance is hardly to accept

(I don't know the other users with higher performance desktop or not ,do you all use SSD?)

The desktop only for wording,  normally did not have powerful gear , but also not too bad.

i3 3.3G with 2G RAM , Win7 OS , 160G / 5400 rpm  on systems disk ( the evernote database link here)

I used to wait 1 to 2 mins (really! not overstate) to wait evenrote response when I edit the note

especially the one could be one week or couple weeks ago I have add in the database.

All I have found is the hard disk work really "hard". 

Just wondering is there any way can optimize the database ?  

Can database could split in couple smaller files (it not only could accelerate the search performance) but also

easily to extend the hardware ( user can purchase couple SSD, to store the database in case the data is huge and more than hundreds of G)

Evenrote is a new company, hope the developer already figure out the way to handling the huge database 

if the user use evenrote more than 5 years ( I believer all of them will have more than 180G to 60G ) data

and you won't like to see all of them complain they need wait couple mins to got what they want or

even just update couple words on note  then the evenrote frozen!!

I believe it is the key for evernote to be a giant or struggling survival in the near future.

• Level 5*

Hi, 

To be a premium user, I have ~51G/ 7600 notes, in my desktop, to be honest the performance is hardly to accept

(I don't know the other users with higher performance desktop or not ,do you all use SSD?)

The desktop only for wording,  normally did not have powerful gear , but also not too bad.

i3 3.3G with 2G RAM , Win7 OS , 160G / 5400 rpm  on systems disk ( the evernote database link here)

I used to wait 1 to 2 mins (really! not overstate) to wait evenrote response when I edit the note

especially the one could be one week or couple weeks ago I have add in the database.

All I have found is the hard disk work really "hard". 

Just wondering is there any way can optimize the database ?  

Can database could split in couple smaller files (it not only could accelerate the search performance) but also

easily to extend the hardware ( user can purchase couple SSD, to store the database in case the data is huge and more than hundreds of G)

Evenrote is a new company, hope the developer already figure out the way to handling the huge database 

if the user use evenrote more than 5 years ( I believer all of them will have more than 180G to 60G ) data

and you won't like to see all of them complain they need wait couple mins to got what they want or

even just update couple words on note  then the evenrote frozen!!

I believe it is the key for evernote to be a giant or struggling survival in the near future.

Hi. Welcome to the forums! I have written quite a lot about my approach to optimizing my experience with Evernote. Some of it might help, some of it might not, but at least it will give you some options.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127

Unfortunately, until we get selective sync for notebooks on the desktop and/or a radically more efficient app, the best solution (in my opinion) is to work with what options we have available.

Basically  the ideal from http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127

it is really surprise  to me 

What is the evernote slogan? Evernote’s slogan is "Remember everything." 

but if we still need to tailored the note (by extract the txt from PDF!!,)

and look up on cloud or any other storage device. it really take a lot of effort and time

Customers who check the evernote advertisements  will be leading to the "understanding of " the benefit of" single click to take a Picture then you can remember it and "Find" it."

google desk already provide the powerful search function, what is the difference and user need to use evernote?

picture , yes that is one reason , 2nd  multi-OS , 

but all you know (if you have been use evernote for a while) 

the picture OCR is only "roughly" it is not word to word exactly come out the content, the uncertainty is the risk that user "might be" or should be not able to pick out the data he or she need

it also reduce the functionality of the "Note"

if users still need struggle in upload limitation, search performance reduce a lot when you use it one or two years later?  that would be a disaster for user and evernote business!.

Hi all,

After got the feedback from evernote 

the suggestion is to use evernote / debugmenu , there is a optimize function

as what I have the experience before ( it did not work well)

for supporter asking again, so I just try it 

Thanks the god, as What I know, it frozen again ( 3 days processing , and frozen on re-index full text search)

I have to close it and back the normal operation model (evernote)

and ... great,  I could not find the note ( even I know where they are and I switch to the specific notebook 

and key in the title (or copy the title of the note) to search bar

then it also could not find it 

great , the data base should be have partial index was crash and I dont know which one is 

that is means I take so many time to do summarize and project data will be "gone" (if you could not find it , it just like "delet" function on your desktop ( even the data still in your hard disk)

How could I do ??  now I only could use web app evernote to find the note 

remove desktop evernote and re-install is not work !!

My god who can help me

• Level 5

I tried the debug option. I'm glad I ran a backup first, because Evernote also froze on me.

I had to use the task manager to shut down Evernote.Rebooted and tried a 2nd time - it ran correctly.

Concerned.

Archived