search within search results: how to?

pleasemakeitwork

Idea

I clicked on a tag, for example the tag Recipes. and it pulls up all and only those notes with that tag. So far so good. Now I want to search just those notes for the word possum. When I put possum into the search window the search results come from all notes not just from the notes tagged with the recipes tag.  In other words I get all my notes containing the word possum, not just the possum recipes. On my iPad, the search window automatically searches just within the results of the tag recipes so that the search renders just the possum recipes.  How can I get EN on OS X to do the same thing? thanks.  I suspect that search operators can do this, but as a non-techie I need to keep things as simple as possible, as it is on my iPad.

13 replies to this idea

I did a tag search. Now I want to word search the results to find those notes with that tag that contain that word. Support tells me that there is no way to do this other than by using search operators. But support did not know how to actually do this or what the operators are. I found nothing helpful in ENs knowledge base. So .... assume that the tag is Travel and that the search word is blimp what should I type in and where should I type it? Thanks. OSX 10.8

I ran the search in two formats. Putting a space after the colon works rsults in a search that works perfectly. If there is no space after the colon then the search finds nothing. I now have the tool I was looking for. Thanks everyone.Bye bye.

If that's true, then it's unique to the Mac client. It appears the Windows client works the same, either way. But the iOS & web clients only work without the space.

I am using a mac, which is the reason why I posted in the mac forum.  I was asking for mac advise, not windows or ios. There is no "if" involved.  I have deleted this posting from my reading list.  bye bye.fyi the en knowledge base says that a space is required. and it works.

I am using a mac, which is the reason why I posted in the mac forum. I was asking for mac advise, not windows or ios. There is no "if" involved. I have deleted this posting from my reading list. bye bye.fyi the en knowledge base says that a space is required. and it works.

The "if" is because I cannot verify it, since I don't have a Mac. I have verified it on Windows & iOS & that would mean Mac is functionng differently. You may not care about that, but others reading this thread may. I don't see in the KB where it says to use a space. If it works for you, then great.

Bye bye.

• Level 5*

I am using a mac, which is the reason why I posted in the mac forum.  I was asking for mac advise, not windows or ios. There is no "if" involved.  I have deleted this posting from my reading list.  bye bye.fyi the en knowledge base says that a space is required. and it works.

The Knowledge Base article (http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23245321) says no such thing for tag search. Here is a direct quote:

tag: Searches for notes tagged with the specified tag. tag:medical will return notes that have the tag "medical".

-tag: Searches for notes not tagged with the specified tag. -tag:medical will return notes that do not have the tag "medical".

No spaces here.

If you're getting results, you may be getting them because a search for ordinary text (which is what the search will be if you have a space after the colon) will also try to match on tags as well.

Archived