FEATURE REQUEST: There is an easy way to add web clipper to iOS.

stefanstr

Idea

Hi Everyone,

For me, the main use of Evernote is to save snippets of web pages I visit. As a result, the iOS version of Evernote is severely crippled for my needs, as there is no built in WebClipper (and even with workarounds, it's difficult to clip only parts of webpages and impossible to annotate them).

The excuse is of course that Safari doesn't allow for third party extensions. I happen to be an Instapaper user, though, and I think they have solved this in a very smart way which Evernote could (and should) adopt.

With Instapaper, if you have a web address in the clipboard and switch over to Instapaper, it will ask you if you want to read that article later. If so, it will add it to your list. I think Evernote could do something similar. If I have a web address in my clipboard and switch over to Evernote, show me the web page from within Evernote, let me choose which parts of the article to save, and ideally let me also annotate it.

In this way, you could finally make the iOS version of Evernote fully functional.

What do you guys think?

6 replies to this idea

I get the functionality I think you want via a third party app called Everclip which allows you to cut and past whole pages or portions of pages from anywhere on your device (web browser, RSS Reader etc) into your EN account almost directly  - basically you have everclip running in background, when you copy it goes to everclip then you go to everclip and send to your EN account which you will have synchronised with. I actually find this more useful than Instapaper's way of doing things because it works beyond web pages (e.g. from books or cooking apps) and it avoids the issues I sometimes have with instapaper and non-standard web addresses (e.g. shortened links, strange referral links that some RSS readers have etc). Everclip is not free though (from memory it was $4.99 in Australian app store but I use it a lot so well worth it for me.

I get the functionality I think you want via a third party app called Everclip which allows you to cut and past whole pages or portions of pages from anywhere on your device (web browser, RSS Reader etc) into your EN account almost directly  - basically you have everclip running in background, when you copy it goes to everclip then you go to everclip and send to your EN account which you will have synchronised with. I actually find this more useful than Instapaper's way of doing things because it works beyond web pages (e.g. from books or cooking apps) and it avoids the issues I sometimes have with instapaper and non-standard web addresses (e.g. shortened links, strange referral links that some RSS readers have etc). Everclip is not free though (from memory it was $4.99 in Australian app store but I use it a lot so well worth it for me.

It works well,I use it myself and there is a HD version for the iPad.

Its just a shame that Evernote can't integrate something like this.

• Evernote Expert
Free Dolphin Browser, who I think is an Evernote partner while developing this integration. It supports annotation functionality as well. 

If you want smoother highlighting, organization of clipped webpages and easy text modification between Evernote account and clipper - i suggest ;Lightly' app for IOS. It cost i think 2$, and it was some kind of winner of IIIrd party developer apps for Evernote.

Then how come does it receive such low ratings on the App Store?

This is the reason I haven't bought or tried it so far.

As to Dolphin - does Dolphin let you sync with Safari or Chrome for the Mac? This has kept me from trying the browser so far.

Then how come does it receive such low ratings on the App Store?

This is the reason I haven't bought or tried it so far.

As to Dolphin - does Dolphin let you sync with Safari or Chrome for the Mac? This has kept me from trying the browser so far.

I think only Safari will sync across Apple devices and lightly is good also,but I find that the images won't show up like Everclip.

Not sure about the ratings but they both work perfectly.

You could also try adding a JavaScript web clipper and it does work on the iPad for me (oversized on the iphone 5) but is much slower.

http://lorenzocaum.com/blog/how-to-install-evernote-web-clipper-on-the-iphone-and-the-ipad/

Dolphin is a free browser so there is nothing to lose there.

All these apps and work a rounds is probably the best answers you will find for iOS ATM .

On January 24, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Panzerkampfwagen said:
Free Dolphin Browser, who I think is an Evernote partner while developing this integration. It supports annotation functionality as well. 

Super +1 on Dolphin. Just discovered it a day or two ago, and am already using it instead of Safari, to web clip and place as notes in EN. It was free!

Unkei

Archived