Usability: Tab Order on New Notes from hotkeys

Nicholas Herring

I've been meaning to post something about this since the UI revamp on the windows client.

I love Evernote because I can CTRL+ALT+N and start typing a new note. However, I really like to be able to rename the title to something useful.

Try this:

CTRL+ALT+N

F2 (to change the title)

"New Title"

TAB (This takes you to the created date for some reason)

TAB (This looks like it takes you to the body of the note, but it lies like a dog.)

At this point you have a blinking cursor in the body of the note, and typing does nothing. You can't even tab out of this state to another field. I have to then click on something.

Other than that, thanks for an awesome product!

• Level 5*

For decades the TAB key has been used to move between the fields on a form in a logical order:  the order shown on the screen, left to right, top to bottom.  Also, SHIFT-TAB moves in the reverse order.  If you are in a field (like the Note Body) where TAB can be entered as a character (to indent), then CTRL-TAB (or CMD-TAB for the Mac) is used to move to the next field.

This makes it INTUITIVE for the user because that is how it works in most apps, on most web pages.

Evernote, please update ALL CLIENTS (Win, Mac, etc) to follow this long-established behavior.

That appears to work for me.

- New note

- F2 Title

- Tab to created

- Tab takes me to the note body. (with a sound from windows for some reason too :P)

Only once did I have an issue with this and the focus was lost elsewhere (Not sure exactly what caused it to not focus)

Also, if you simply want to get to the note body after entering a title, pressing Enter works with less steps. This takes you to the note.

If you want to change the title first on your notes, there is a registry setting that allows you to start a new note focused on the title, allowing you to enter the title as soon as you open the note.

https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote5help#b=8879f6ff-b336-40f1-8fc2-9f43af568ebe&st=p&n=b23d4465-0844-41b6-a33f-0dbc57cfebfd

Look for: SetNewNoteFocusToTitle

Also, if you simply want to get to the note body after entering a title, pressing Enter works with less steps. This takes you to the note.

From a very conditioned user, "enter" = "DO SOMETHING", not "change focus". Thanks for the work around though, I would have never thought of that (which is my point really). :)

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

I've been meaning to post something about this since the UI revamp on the windows client.

I love Evernote because I can CTRL+ALT+N and start typing a new note. However, I really like to be able to rename the title to something useful.

Try this:

CTRL+ALT+N

F2 (to change the title)

"New Title"

TAB (This takes you to the created date for some reason)

TAB (This looks like it takes you to the body of the note, but it lies like a dog.)

At this point you have a blinking cursor in the body of the note, and typing does nothing. You can't even tab out of this state to another field. I have to then click on something.

Other than that, thanks for an awesome product!

bump

Why does this inexplicably tab from the note subject to the date? This is infuriating. And as the OP says, when it does "tab" to the note eventually, the cursor blinks, but you cannot type. This is just fundamentally broken.

Archived