how to convert note w multiple images into a single PDF w *multiple* pages?

Hi!

I was really pleased to see a "Convert Note to PDF" in the context menu but was disappointed when a note with a front and back image got converted into a *1* page PDF smashing the two together on 1 page.

what I really wanted is a new note with PDF with 2 pages - one for each image.

how can I do this?

I have notes that have 100 images representing old books that I would love to convert into a 100 page PDF for a single book.

thanks for any input!

It would help if you told us what platform you're using. Mac? Windows? On my Mac, I've used the built in Print to PDF function. I wasn't entirely happy with the pagination, however. My solution was to copy the note into a word processing document (Pages, in my case), tweak the formatting then print to PDF. 

Im on a Mac.   Im aware of the option to Print to PDF and I guess I was just wondering if there was way to make the "Convert Note to PDF" work in a paginated way (which seems like how it should work by default?)

It apparently doesn't work that way. I can't see any settings to change the way it works. At least in preview, as long as you keep it set to Continuous Scroll, it should be perfectly readable. What device are you planning on reading the book on? 

hey since it doesn't seem configurable, I hacked away at Automator and came up with the attached workflow (zipped).

You Right-Click on the note and "Save Attachments..." to a folder on your Desktop.

Run this workflow, select the folder and it will save a new PDF on the Desktop with all the images combined.

if there are any seasoned Automators out there who can make this workflow operate on a selected note in Evernote directly, please do chime in!

Combine Images in Folder into Single PDF.zip

• 11 months later...

I have an extremely similar problem with a simple outline that should convert in Evernote to a 3 page pdf but converts instead to a single page and becomes impossible to print with proper margins.  It appears the page size is set to 12.33 x 42.72 inches in the resulting pdf file. Is there any way this could be changed so that if an Evernote note is too long to fit on a single page, it creates a multi page pdf?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to add another issue with the "Convert Note to PDF" function - In order to access this menu option, you have to click somewhere on the note, right-click, and select the menu option. When you click on the note, either a big cursor line appears before the image, or if you click on an image directly, the image is highlighted in a big, blue box. When you click the "Convert Note to PDF", that cursor or highlighting is carried over to the PDF.

Because this functionality as it stands is of very limited utility, who ever wrote it into Evernote and/or approved it as acceptable... isn't very good... 

• 4 months later...

chinarut, nice idea, but there are some issues: first, the order in which the images are exported/processed in pdf is unclear - I ended up not having an ordered pdf document, but a random assembly of pages.

so far the best way to achieve seems to be simply printing document in PDF. On mac that is 'command+P'. Although, if you are printing A4 sized images you are going to loose some space on the margins. 

anyway, would be great if Evernote responded to this, because ultimately, this has to work in the program itself, without any help from external OS X tools. 

• 4 months later...

post-274472-0-50674300-1446461087_thumb.

hiiiiiiiii i think i have found a solution !!!!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

i use mac and while fiddling around i found a way to save your note as a pdf with *multiple* pages 

in the screenshot which hopefully came up, i pressed command print, and in the bottom left corner where it says pdf the drop drown should have an option "save as PDF" which saves your note in multiple pages  :wub:

• 2 months later...

I too think this process should be easier, but I have found a very consistent solution, which takes very little effort.

In Evernote, choose: File > Export Note

In the "Export Selected Notes" dialogue, choose the "Desktop" as the location. Find the "Format" setting and change it to HTML. Click the "Save" button.

Once the save process has completed, open the newly created folder, on your desktop (My Notes.enex if you used the default name).

Rt-Click on the HTML file and select: Open With > Safari.app

Once Safari opens, choose: File > Print > PDF > Save as PDF

Name your PDF, choose where to save it, and then click the "Save" button.

DONE! :D

Attached files should provide some assistance.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 12.04.29 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 12.09.35 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 12.14.15 PM.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 2016-01-29 at 10:21 AM, bamajr said:

I too think this process should be easier, but I have found a very consistent solution, which takes very little effort.

In Evernote, choose: File > Export Note

In the "Export Selected Notes" dialogue, choose the "Desktop" as the location. Find the "Format" setting and change it to HTML. Click the "Save" button.

Once the save process has completed, open the newly created folder, on your desktop (My Notes.enex if you used the default name).

Rt-Click on the HTML file and select: Open With > Safari.app

Once Safari opens, choose: File > Print > PDF > Save as PDF

Name your PDF, choose where to save it, and then click the "Save" button.

I'm wondering if the Export Note is a necessary step

I'm thinking you can just do the File > Print > PDF > Save as PDF
directly from Evernote

I am also having the problem of printing a series of pages on Mac 10.12.1, that I scanned into evernote as documents using my iPhone 6S camera on iOS 10.1.1.

I tried Export Attachments, and got a similar result of a series of unsorted pages. (They are sorted by the time stamp, but all note scanned in the same minute have been randomly assigned a .x at the end of the time stamp.) I tried the export and open with Safari, but I just got the mess below.

Screenshot 2016-11-28 12.54.16.jpg

• Level 5*
On 2016-11-28 at 9:56 AM, greenelight said:

I tried the export and open with Safari, but I just got the mess below.

The image you posted was a .enex file
Not entirely useful, unless you want to import the notes

Can you be more descriptive as to the problem of "printing a series of pages"
I understand you "
scanned into evernote as documents using my iPhone 6S camera"
I'm thinking this gives you a note with image attachments

Good call, DTLow. I have now exported an .html file, and opened with a browser, Chrome 54.0.2840.98. This did give me a printout of the pages, in the order that they were scanned, but it does not seperate them by scanned page, see attached. Tried with Safari, same result.

What I am trying to use this for is to scan in a digital copy of a script (score in this case) with notes, that I can archive and reprint later if the project comes back up. I am using the document scan feature of Evernote on my phone, which gives me a series of .png attachments in a note. If I only needed these digitally in the future, this would be fine, but I may need hard copies again someday, and I would need the pages seperated as originally scanned for that to be useful.

Rigoletto 2016 Score (NJVO).jpg

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, greenelight said:

I am using the document scan feature of Evernote on my phone, which gives me a series of .png attachments in a note.

You may want to investigate other iOS scanning apps.  There are lots of them available, some will scan multiple pages into the same PDF.  You could then add to Evernote via the iOS Share button, if the app does not already have a connection with Evernote (which many do).

EDIT:  @greenelight, I didn't see your follow-up post until after I made this post.  ;)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, greenelight said:

It looks like the solution is Scannable. If I scan a document with scannable, it creates a single pdf that I can print as originally scanned.

Scannable is a good product to use - I like the automatic pdf conversion
Be aware of the difference in Evernote processing
- images are ocr'd for handwriting, pdfs are not

I'm looking at Scanner Pro which provides ocr and pdf conversion
It seems to do a good job of OCR

Archived