(Archived) Can this new drop-down menu be turned off?

jbenson2

• Level 5

When I want to run a new search, I use the "Find in Evernote" feature (Win + Shift + F).

It used to be very powerful in version 4.7. Regardless of what program I was using, it would jump over to Evernote, clear past search terms from the search area, select all notebooks, and position my icon in the search area.

But now, when I use "Find in Evernote", a new drop-down screen appears and blocks the view of my notes. 

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/dcf4b3d4-8ca7-40cc-9553-53f08efe923e/e59a76b0c82efe5c32c3a3099da92e67

Is there a way to turn this new feature off? (not temporarily, but permanently)

Using version 5.1.02217 (270217) Public

• Level 5*

I don't believe there is a way to turn off the feature.  There is no option in the menu and I have not seen any forum comments concerning registry setting options.

When I switched to v5 I initially did not like this either, but it has grown on me ... here's why.  Like you, I press the find in Evernote hotkey a lot and when I do I'm wanting to search and the open note being displayed but hidden is likely not the one I want anyway.  The drop down menu initially shows Recent searches and Saved searches.  As soon as you start typing in the search field the menu adds Suggestions at the top.  I have found Suggestions useful and a time savings on occasion.

If I want to remove the drop down menu after pressing the search hot key I press ESC or click in the search field.

• Level 5

I don't believe there is a way to turn off the feature.  There is no option in the menu and I have not seen any forum comments concerning registry setting options.

When I switched to v5 I initially did not like this either, but it has grown on me ... here's why.  Like you, I press the find in Evernote hotkey a lot and when I do I'm wanting to search and the open note being displayed but hidden is likely not the one I want anyway.  The drop down menu initially shows Recent searches and Saved searches.  As soon as you start typing in the search field the menu adds Suggestions at the top.  I have found Suggestions useful and a time savings on occasion.

If I want to remove the drop down menu after pressing the search hot key I press ESC or click in the search field.

Thanks for the response. Due to the 4 to 6 second lag for the Drop-Down window to appear, I grab my mouse and click on a note title to prevent it from opening. Your suggestion to use the escape key is interesting, because not only does it work, but it also toggles the Drop Down window on and off. I still have to wait several seconds, but the escape key allows me to keep my hands on the keyboard, where they belong :) .

The other option might be to revert back to the speedy 4.7 - no time lag with that version.

Thanks again.

The drop down menu initially shows Recent searches and Saved searches.  As soon as you start typing in the search field the menu adds Suggestions at the top.  I have found Suggestions useful and a time savings on occasion.

I find it annoying. Causes a lag after every letter typed. It should at least wait for 4 or five letters, there is no way suggestions are going to be helpful with 2 letters in my almost 10.000 notes.

• Level 5

The drop down menu initially shows Recent searches and Saved searches.  As soon as you start typing in the search field the menu adds Suggestions at the top.  I have found Suggestions useful and a time savings on occasion.

I find it annoying. Causes a lag after every letter typed. It should at least wait for 4 or five letters, there is no way suggestions are going to be helpful with 2 letters in my almost 10.000 notes.

Yes, this is another annoying bug with Evernote's search.

The delay kicks in as soon as the 2nd character is typed into the search field.

As a work around, I created a 2nd Evernote account to off-load some of my older notes.

It has not resolved the lag problem.

Other users in this forum have run into a variety of scalability problems, especially when their note count gets into the 20,000+ range. Evernote needs to address this scalability issue. Adding more bells, whistles, and "features" will only aggravate the problem further. Their corporate dream of becoming a 100-year company could turn into a pipe dream.

• Level 5*

Yes, the delay can be painful.  My database is about the same size as yours and I experienced the delay with both v4 and v5 where it seemed worse.  In case you are not aware, there is a SearchAsYouType registry setting that if you set to 0 will disable this behavior.  The search won't start until you have typed in the full query and hit enter.  I operated in that mode for quite a while until I happened to get a new laptop.  The increased speed and extra memory in the new laptop now made these features useful to me.  That said, a cutting edge PC shouldn't be a requirement for adequate performance of the software.  An easier way to disable options that affect performance should be provided.

Archived