(Archived) Does Evernote "Index" MS Word Documents; Outlining Feature?

I see that my PC version did "index" a PDF. I was able to search for a term only in the PDF and it found the note but, does Evernote TODAY index any other type of file, even with a Premium subscription? I'd upgrade in a heartbeat if it did. I'm guessing it doesn't as I can't find anything about it anywhere - even Google.

Well, I REALLY upgrade in a heartbeat if it supported better outlining in the PC and Mac version where I can tab and such to generate auto-outlines as MS Word does in some format like the one below:

1. TOPIC

1.1 Sub Topic

1.1.2 Sub Sub

1.2 Sub Topic 2

No, we only process the contents of PDF documents (plus words we can find in images). We don't have parsing libraries for other types of documents. (In the case of Word documents, this would be many different parsing libraries to handle their many generations of file formats.)

• 7 months later...

hi engberg, or other EN-staff,

this post is quite a long time ago,

and i like to check, if nowadays you thinking of supporting the indexing of such popular file formats as winword (*.doc, *.docx) or maybe open office (*.odt)

there are several libraries or programs around, which allow to "rip" the textinformation out of such a document, so this days, it shouldnt be a big deal to give you users the benefit of indexing more than just PDF files or images. (which is a great thing, anyways)

cheers,

Thanks for the feedback. These libraries would need to be added in multiple places (Mac, Windows, web service), and we're nervous about doing all of that work only to find out that we only support 15 of the 17 different Word file formats. I.e. this is still a fair amount of work, and these are all moving targets.

thanks for the reply. i agree to your point about the moving target.

without trying to hijack this ms-office-thread, leastwise indexing open office files should be more painless to implement because they're in "plain" xml format, inside a zip-archive.

hmm.. i'm wondering, if the term "more painless" is adequate ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I completely understand not support the absurd number of Word file formats. However, it would be MUCH more convenient if there were a 1-button method for moving data from Word to Evernote. Today, in order to preserve formatting, I print to a PDF, save it to disk, and then drag and drop it into a note in Evernote. That is at least three too many steps. If I am missing an easier way, I would love to know about it. Otherwise, a "Send to Evernote" function would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Today, in order to preserve formatting, I print to a PDF, save it to disk, and then drag and drop it into a note in Evernote. That is at least three too many steps. If I am missing an easier way, I would love to know about it.

I retain one watched/import folder that is set to then delete the original file from my hard drive after it's automatically imported into EN. When I want to do something like you describe, I print the PDF (or scan the jpg, copy the camera image, whatever source I'm doing) into the watched folder & that's it. EN does the rest. I switch back to EN & it's sitting there in my inbox.

I retain one watched/import folder that is set to then delete the original file from my hard drive after it's automatically imported into EN. When I want to do something like you describe, I print the PDF (or scan the jpg, copy the camera image, whatever source I'm doing) into the watched folder & that's it.

Agreed, but then I just have an attached PDF file instead of actually being able to read it inside of Evernote, right? I have done that with other files but not PDFs so I'll give that a try.

You do need to use whatever PDF reader is on your machine (I think? I don't think EN inherently can do this & a third party program is required.) PDFs (IME) preview in the note (I'm using Windows 3.5) which differs from Word/Excel/etc files where you only see an icon & must double click the icon to invoke Word/Excel/etc to view the document.

Archived