Monospaced font completely off between computers..

pete_m

Idea

I spend a lot of time formatting my notes, to make them nice and readable. Since most of my notes are technical/code-related, I explicitly stick with 'Andale Mono' (a monospaced font which seems to be present on the default install of Evernote) at size 10.

I make my edits using the Evernote app on my laptop (OSX), all looks fine. Then I open them on an iMac at work and.. most of the time, Arial is suddenly substituted for all or *some* parts of the document, seemingly at random, usually at size 12. I reformat it back to how I want it, reopen on the other end.. boom, all busted again. Very frustrating.

Is something so simple really broken in this app? What's the point of formatting if it can't keep it solid across all clients? Keeping things in a monospaced font should be a no-brainer (even if it had to use something like Courier). What am I missing?!  Is there a better alternative for formating 'code snippets' in Evernote?  (Tried <pre>, no luck)

Thanks!!

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I spend a lot of time formatting my notes, to make them nice and readable. Since most of my notes are technical/code-related, I explicitly stick with 'Andale Mono' (a monospaced font which seems to be present on the default install of Evernote) at size 10.

I make my edits using the Evernote app on my laptop (OSX), all looks fine. Then I open them on an iMac at work and.. most of the time, Arial is suddenly substituted for all or some parts of the document, at size 12. I reformat it back to how I want it, reopen on the other end.. boom, all busted again. Very frustrating.

Is something so simple really broken in this app? What's the point of formatting if it can't keep it solid across all clients? Keeping things in a manospaced font should be a no-brainer (even if it had to use something like Courier). What am I missing?!  Is there a better alternative for formating 'code snippets' in Evernote?  (Tried <pre>, no luck)

Thanks!!

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Remember, the "default" font will be the default font for that device, so if Arial is the default on your other Mac, that could be causing the problem. Personally, I use Courier New and/or convert my notes to plain text (see the menu). Here is how to get more fonts (including Courier New) into your drop-down selection. In my experience, the font appears approximately the same on any device (I think iOS is using something slightly different, but I cannot tell -- either way, it is monospaced).

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1512

@Operative: Um, thanks for the "answer". Would be interested what search queries were you using because I couldn't find anything quite relevant/helpful to my specific problem. (On a side note.. just curious, what are the criteria for becoming an "Evangelist" for Evernote?)

@ 不機嫌な猿:  Awesome. I tried "Simplify Formatting" and "Make Plain Text" but it looked like color highlighting immediately reverted the note to "formatted" (?)  I'll set my defaults to Courier and give "Make Plain Text" a shot, will see if content keeps more consistent. The most frustrating is when half of my note renders monospaced, the other parts in Arial, sometimes it's random paragraphs, sometimes individual sentences/words even. In any case, appreciate the help!!

• Level 5*

Hi again - I literally used the term "code formatting" in the search box,  and if I had seen a coherent response I would have happily given you the link,  but there was way too much to go through,  hence the response.  I'm glad GrumpyMonkey had a relevant post to refer to (he does that a lot) but the main problem is that Evernote's main note editor is not a full-featured word processor,  or even a good text editor.  It's extremely basic and well overdue for improvement.  The developers are looking into editing as we speak,  so hopefully there will be some improvements soon.

As to the qualifications for being an "Evangelist",  I don't think this is a vacancy kind of situation.  When you're an experienced user in a position to give help where you can to new starters and you've been doing it for a while,  you may get invited...

@Operative: Cool. It's off-topic, but speaking of the text editor.. I just realized (and validated by searching) that there is NO 'Find & Replace' in the Mac version? Ugh, such a fundamental edit tool.. might be the final straw for me (at least for today..) Thanks!

• Level 5*

If a particular typeface isn't installed on a particular device, then it cannot be used in Evernote on that device. On the computer that you're having problems with, check to see if Andale Mono is installed on the computer that you're having problems with.

• Level 5*

@Operative: Cool. It's off-topic, but speaking of the text editor.. I just realized (and validated by searching) that there is NO 'Find & Replace' in the Mac version? Ugh, such a fundamental edit tool.. might be the final straw for me (at least for today..) Thanks!

I guess I haven't come across any problems as long as I select all and apply a font. It usually works. It always works to format as plain text. If you could share a note with us, I think we could get it sorted out for you.

As for find and replace, it does not exist. My solution (admittedly, not a popular one) is to mirror my entire account in another app (nvALT on the Mac / notesy on the iPad). These are plain-text editors, so (on the Mac) I open up BBEdit, find and replace whatever it is, and everything is fixed in a moment for tens of thousands of notes. It is quite handy.

Of course, "mirror" means exporting from Evernote as .html, exporting all attachments, and dragging those into my nvALT folder, so it is a manual, time-consuming process (15-30 minutes these days). Still, it has its benefits (for my use case) and might be worth considering in yours.

I've never tested it, but for certain operations, I believe you can actually do find and replace for Evernote by using another app. For example, if you want to replace all instances of "pete_m" in your notes with "Peter_m" then you point BBEdit to your Evernote folder and it will take care of it. The problem comes when you have anything even remotely related to the Evernote programming language, which would, of course, muddle things. For example, I would not recommend replacing all instances of "font" with "firecracker"!

Archived